Notices

Old July 21st, 2017, 08:38 AM   #121
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Debating whether to go for intermediate or novice. I want to ride with Ant and Jay but at this point I've got a lot more track days under my belt than they do. Including three days at NYST, two of which are the direction we'll be riding.

On the other hand, you know me... mr. conservative.

Ken Condon told me I'm mid- to upper-mid Yellow group pace using the the TTD scale (fast to slow: black-blue-yellow-red).

Leaning towards Intermediate but not decided yet.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 08:51 AM   #122
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ya'lls up north killin' me with these membership fees.. ijs
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2017, 09:28 AM   #123
adouglas
Cat herder

I hear that. Good thing I like TTD so much, or the stiff membership fee would really turn me off.

Ya gets what ya pays for, sometimes. With TTD it's definitely true.

PS: With my last track weekend I'm on the plus side. I think of it as a loyalty reward program, without all the skeezy selling of info to telemarketers... LOL
@ttd

Old July 21st, 2017, 09:59 AM   #124
ttd
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): CBR600rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ya'lls up north killin' me with these membership fees.. ijs
Hopefully everyone realizes my membership fee is optional. As mentioned above, it's more of a loyalty program.
ttd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2017, 06:36 PM   #125
adouglas
Cat herder

OK, signed up for August 5/6 at NYST. I marked intermediate. I can always drop down to beginner if necessary.

Post up when you're in.

PS: Got to ride my first liter bike today... went to the local BMW shop's open house for a free burger and some tire-kicking. While there I rode an S1000RR.

Really sweet. Naturally I didn't get to open it up at all. What really struck me was how smooth it was... much smoother than either of my bikes. Felt great.

Wife has already said "no, you can't have one." LOL

Old July 22nd, 2017, 10:11 PM   #126
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Lol, called the track, Kevin and I are in for I group. Our only issue is making the gate time lol.

Old July 25th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #127
adouglas
Cat herder

NYST uptown track notes

Updated after the August 5/6 trip...

Several forum members are regulars here, so please feel free to correct anything you see. ( @DEFY @nickjpass )

Posting for @Ducati999 and @Bigballsofpaint, in hopes that it will facilitate learning the track.

This video shows the markers, cones etc. the way they were when I was there several weeks ago. The guy's lines in places are not those that we were told to use. You'll note some passing that might be a bit sketchy for an intermediate track day... standing other riders up, etc. The angle from the tank cam is the guy in white leathers. The nose cam is footage his buddy shot.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Track map for reference. You'll see in the video that all the corners are clearly marked.

Front straight and turns 1 - 2
You're going uphill, so you can and should carry speed because gravity is helping you. Look for the hangar on the right... I had been rolling off here, and it wound up being way too early. Now I roll off somewhere between the 300 and 400 board. Note: A lot of people go off at turn 1. Don't early apex!!

Look for the brake markers on the right, and the meatball (square sign, red dot) on the left opposite the 200 board. Your last downshift should be about at the meatball, or soon after. Second gear on a literbike, as shown in the video. IIRC I was taking this in third on a 600. Whatever keeps the bike stable. Lots of hero passing goes on here. It can be really chaotic so keep your head screwed on right and hold your line.

There's a cone on the right with a white flag. That's your turn marker.

You're cresting a hill so it's blind. Look for the Turn 1 curbing and apex. Get in fairly tight there.

The next cone and curb you see is turn 2. The guy in the video oversteers here, keeping it in tight. No need to do that. Instead, ignore that apex and look for the exit cone way down on the right (easy to miss, but it's in the video). That's your target. Let the bike run out a bit and head down the short chute to turn 3.

Turn 3 - 4
Turn 3 is a very long double-apex. The TTD coaches told of two ways to go through here... either hit the first apex and let it orbit out so that you wind up near the second (video rider does this), or do a second steering input in the middle. You should try to hit both apexes close. Use an assertive steering input to turn the bike quickly. Enter from about the middle of the track, or maybe a bit left.

The second apex (double cone, and there's a flag stand there too) is one you have to wait to see. The second apex is really Turn 4. 4 as marked on the map is in the middle of the next chute and isn't really a turn.

There's a significant double bump just off that second apex, right where the cone is. Some say you can go inside it, but having seen it at the track walk, you've got less than a foot of pavement to do so.

Exiting this turn feels like you're getting sucked to the outside. Have faith... there's more road there than you think. There's an exit cone on the left for visual reference.

Turns 5 - 6
Set up center-right for this. 5 is really just the crest of the hill. 6 is the real turn, and is another double-apex where the second one doesn't really matter (though you'll probably be tight there anyway). Stay on the gas until the tip-in cone/flag appears over the rise Tip in from just right of the center seam and hit that first apex tight, then let the bike run out just a bit (never past center) and hit the second apex tight also. Note: A lot of people go off here, tipping in at 6.

Turn 7 - WHEELIE HILL.
Look for the meatball sign on the right, at the crest. You should hit the crest near the right curb, as close to straight up as possible. At crest you're heading across the track, but you have plenty of room so no need to steer as you hit the crest. The fastest guys get full air here. Chris probably will. The rest of us just get light. Don't brake or make any inputs while the bike is light.

Turns 8 - 9 - 10 - 11
Opportunity to pass. If you're going to pass someone, do it immediately because it can be tricky through the next few corners. Get it done well before 8.

This is one of those rhythm sections where if you blow the first one, you've blown all of them. The mindset is point-to-point. Aim for those apexes and strafe every one except the last. Don't use big swoopy lines (looking at you, @Ducati999). All they do is make the trip longer and slow you down; you're never really accelerating hard through here.

Let it run out at 11 (another opportunity to pass, going into 12). You'll be curving right, coming over the crest into 12. Look for the flag station at 11; there's a small tree just after it, which is a good marker for roll-off. Pass the tree, wait a second or two and roll off. Brake firmly going into 12 then give it some gas as you go down the hill.

Turn 12
Tip-in cone/white flag is on your left. It's a downhill sweeper. Ignore the curbing/12 sign/apex at the top of the hill. It matters going the other way, but not uptown. Set up center-left and look down and around for the double cone at the end of the turn, which is very late. Prepare for a quick transition to the left. As the bike stands up, it's a perfect opportunity to grab a downshift to 2nd. (On the 600 I've been in third all the way from Turn 1 to here.)

Turns 13 - 14 - 15
Again, the corner marks on the map are misleading. The part of 13 that matters is really the sharp left at the end, setting up for the wiggle. Entry is tricky. It's tight, downhill and blind too. Look through the corner for the double cone and try to get there so you don't go too wide. You'll see the cones across the grass before you can see the curbing itself.

The object is to straighten the funky little 13-14-15 wiggle as much as you can. Again, point-to-point.

15 is the low point on the track. Look for the dark patch to guide you, and the exit cone up the track on the right. I went off track here my first time a couple of years ago because I early-apexed. The exit cone is a great reference to keep you from doing that. Lift your vision.

Turns 16 - 17 - 18
Same deal... point-to-point, straighten it out as much as you can. You're going uphill so stay on the gas hard. 18 is a tight left... hit the apex and have faith. There's a lot of track to run out, BUT it's also the crest of a hill and you can lose it if you're greedy. I've seen people do this. Pick the bike up before you hammer it.

Hope this helps!!

PS: Here's a novice group video of the first follow-the-leader session. This is a better reference for the preferred line according to the instructors. Start watching at 2:47 and stick with it for a lap. The rest is a waste of time. Note: This is from when the track was new... it does not show the cones and curbs the way they are now.

Last futzed with by adouglas; August 7th, 2017 at 05:34 AM.

Old July 25th, 2017, 08:14 AM   #128
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thank you sir!

Old July 25th, 2017, 09:36 AM   #129
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Do you guys want my advice on the fast line (expert) or the safe line?

Old July 25th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #130
adouglas
Cat herder

We're not experts... but interested in the differences.

Old July 29th, 2017, 12:36 PM   #131
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Both please @nickjpass if you have the time and chance. Thanks sir and hope you can come/stop/ride by for a visit. Ride... yes! Come ride!

The trip has been planned and routed. We should arrive somewhere around 8-9pm.

Old July 29th, 2017, 05:13 PM   #132
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Keep in mind this is all performed on a 600. I learned to get fast by following 250/300s and then best applied it to my riding style. I was also shown a different "fast" line by the fastest experts we regularly have there. There is new kerbing this year so the line may have slightly changed.

When approaching turn one do not become tunnel visioned. Be aware of other riders and the wildlife. You can let off far past the hangar, AND that’s on a 600. If you pass anyone on the left side before the meatball be very careful. There is a section of track that is wavy, but at high speeds and while hard on the brakes it makes the rear of the bike bounce up. It is nothing that can’t be handled but this is just a warning. Make sure you brake trail brake into turn one, but don’t get over zealous or the infamous corner will claim another victim. I too use 2nd gear for this corner. As @adouglas stressed, do not turn in early (or late!). Take special care to avoid any rubber balls on the track. You want to be close to the kerbing. Dragging elbow on it could happen. In fact dragging elbow past it isn’t surprising either. Make sure you purposely miss the apex at “T2”. You want to shoot your bike out to the right side of the track. Taking this corner too tight will set yourself up for a high side. When approaching turn three be sure to stay on or to the right of the seam on the tarmac. Just don’t be the guy that swings all the way to the left. It is unnecessary, dangerous, and wastes time. There are lots of lines through here. But I found that hitting the first apex and the second is my favorite method. T3 is a great corner for trail braking. I feel like there is a lot of grip there. When you set it up right it feels like it sucks you in (hehe). After T3 let the bike swing out to mid track. You shouldn’t be riding over the seam on the tarmac. Get on the throttle and head for T4. There is a bump there as adouglas mentioned. I usually go around it. At this point you should be near or already full throttle. Allow your bike to swing out to the left edge, but don’t hit the grass. Stay on the left edge. You do not have to set up in the middle or right side of the track. In fact if you swing out to the center the faster riders will get mad at you (lol I learned that the hard way). The fast guys let off of the throttle when they pass over the hill. You’ll notice lots of tire marks on the inside of turn 5 after the hill. Do not go wide approaching T6. The grip is low there. You want to stay somehow about mid track when you’re at the bottom of the bowl. When you approach the hill stay as close as possible to the inside. Aim PAST the hill. You want to stay tight to the apex of T7/Wheelie Hill so that you don’t fly off the left side of the track (lol). It’s really easy to get air hear. In fact you can actually jump OVER a section of the grass at t7. Make sure you are not leaned over (tank slapper!). Your bike will fly to the left, bring it back to the right side. Turns 8 is one of my favorites. If you’re ballsy you can get your elbow down. This is the fastest and in my opinion the most dangerous section of the track. Small bikes lose a lot of territory here because we can just carry more speed. The 300s can’t reach a high enough speed here and therefore don’t reach there full potential here. You’ll know what I mean if you ride there. After you hit the apex at T8, immediately go straight to nine. You will have to scrub off some speed here. Don’t target fixate on the outside of the track. Also be very careful not to touch your toe and rearset on the kerbing at nine. It is very easy to do, and scary lol. Turn 10 has a dip in it, there isn’t much to it though. Turn eleven has a small bump on the inside. You should approach turn 12 just to the left of the seam. You can trail brake fairly deep into 12. Careful on cold tires in T11 and T12. Don’t forget to grab some throttle down the hill. You can save time here. Aim for turn 13. I usually end up sliding a tad here. Don’t hug the right side of the track. Go straight into the T13, let the bike swing out wide and come back for a late apex at the kerbing. T14 basically doesn’t exist lol. I like to late apex T15. When I pass T14 I go a bit to the right, and then come back for the late apex. You can wheelie out of T15 really easily. It is also turn that can end in a highside if not approached carefully. Watch the kerbing there, your rearset or knee can smack it. If you rear set hits it, you’re way to close to the inside. Full throttle after fifteen. Something I’ve noticed at T16/T17 is that people brake, or scrub off to much speed. I go through T16, let off a tad, go a little right then get back on the throttle for T17. I love this corner and find that I can save a lot time here compared to other riders. It has always been my strong section. You can brake into T18 really late as well. This is more elbow dragging territory. Just remember, point and shoot. If you find yourself going wide don’t fight to hard to save it. You can run off and just pit out lol I wouldn’t recommend doing it a lot or the staff will get pissed.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 30th, 2017, 02:48 PM   #133
adouglas
Cat herder

Awesome writeup.

Question re corner numbering on turns 3 and 4.... the track map (and the sign) says turn 4 is the little kink in the straight.

From your writeup, from my description and and from the way people typically talk, turn 4 is that second apex cone, where the flag stand is... map shows it as still being turn 3.

Is that right? Do you consider that second apex to be turn 4?

Old August 7th, 2017, 05:07 AM   #134
adouglas
Cat herder

Terrific weekend with @Ducati999, @csmith12 and a whole bunch of people from down his way, most of whose names I've already forgotten. Thanks for coming!! Great food thanks to Claudio, great conversation with Kevin, much fun and a bit of silliness. Ant's bike looks fantastic with its new fairings and with a long break from riding, he accomplished the two most important things... brought it back, and had a good time.

If anyone's interested, the NYST track photographer's site is http://572creations.zenfolio.com/f983001240

Learned a bunch of new stuff about NYST (uptown), thanks to csmith12's help. For future reference, I updated the track writeup above.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:09 AM   #135
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Palmer Sunday 8/20 - blue and paid!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #136
adouglas
Cat herder

One day I might be that fast. Not yet... but gaining confidence with every day I attend.

Old August 7th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #137
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Sooooo tired....

Old August 7th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #138
adouglas
Cat herder

But home safe and in one piece, right?

Great to see ya, man. And you're never, ever gonna get me to fall for the hair fruit thing.

Old August 7th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #139
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
But home safe and in one piece, right?

Great to see ya, man. And you're never, ever gonna get me to fall for the hair fruit thing.
Yes sir, Kevin and I are home safe. Bobby and his lady are still 2h from home after a side stop to tour a bit of the Lake Erie area. No word from Claudio & his crew yet.

I will do up a trip update tomorrow.

Old August 8th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #140
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Update of the trip coming soon...

Here is a tease.... "I GOT THIS!"

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 8th, 2017, 01:06 PM   #141
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Update of the trip coming soon...

Here is a tease.... "I GOT THIS!"

LOL....

Old August 9th, 2017, 06:45 AM   #142
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

It's a Jeep motorcycle thing, you wouldn't understand.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #143
adouglas
Cat herder

@ttd just posted that the Sept 3/4 weekend at Palmer will be run BACKWARDS.

Last time I was up there the staff ran it backwards and Tony stated they'd be doing it in the future. So, during that weekend's track walk I spent a lot of time turning around and scoping out what it would be like.

It's gonna be AWESOME. The sections you'd expect to be sketchy (especially the turn 4/5 complex, which will now be diving turns) are going to be low-speed anyway. What I expect to happen is that the positive-camber bowl (turn 9) will be a fantastic cannon shot, the low point (turn 2) will be a terrific launch up the hill, and turn 1... well, you'll just have to see. Looking backwards it was pretty freakin' amazing.

Old August 11th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #144
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

.... Now you are just teasing me.

Old August 11th, 2017, 01:57 PM   #145
adouglas
Cat herder

YEAH BOYEEEEEEE...

Old August 15th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #146
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
@ttd just posted that the Sept 3/4 weekend at Palmer will be run BACKWARDS.

Last time I was up there the staff ran it backwards and Tony stated they'd be doing it in the future. So, during that weekend's track walk I spent a lot of time turning around and scoping out what it would be like.

It's gonna be AWESOME. The sections you'd expect to be sketchy (especially the turn 4/5 complex, which will now be diving turns) are going to be low-speed anyway. What I expect to happen is that the positive-camber bowl (turn 9) will be a fantastic cannon shot, the low point (turn 2) will be a terrific launch up the hill, and turn 1... well, you'll just have to see. Looking backwards it was pretty freakin' amazing.

: dancecool:
I guess I know when my next track trip will be!!!!!!!!!
Purchasing flowers for wife to assure approval of reverse Palmer track trip!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2017, 05:47 AM   #147
adouglas
Cat herder

Wish I could do it! Looking forward to a report.

Old August 21st, 2017, 06:57 AM   #148
adouglas
Cat herder

Updated calendar

THE AMAZING MOVING SCHEDULE UPDATE POST

Lesson learned from last year. After 60 days you can't edit posts. So this post will be updated periodically and moved to the bottom of the thread.

Post up which days and what group you'll be riding in.

Red means confirmed, paid commitment
Blue means intent, yet to be confirmed

TTD/Razee schedule for 2017 as of March 5, 2017:

For updates visit http://www.tonystrackdays.com

Aug-Sept

Palmer MA Sept 3 (Sun) & 4 (Mon) RUNNING BACKWARDS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!
Thompson CT Sept 24, 25 (Sun-Mon) @adouglas, yellow group

Team Pro Motion schedule as of March 5, 2017:

Edited to focus on Northeast (more or less) tracks. (A) means events run by a partner organization. For the full schedule and updates visit https://www.teampromotion.com/

August-September-October

August 26,27 NYST @Sirref "??group
August 28 NJMP Thunderbolt @Sirref "??group
September 1 NJMP Thunderbolt (A) @Sirref "??group
September 3,4 NJMP Lightning @Sirref "??group
September 16,17 NYST @Sirref "??group
September 17,18 NJMP Thunderbolt @Sirref "??group
September 23,24 NJMP Thunderbolt (A) @Sirref "??group
September 29 NJMP Lightning (A) / 30 NJMP Lightning @Sirref "??group
October 9 NJMP Thunderbolt / 9 NJMP Lightning (A) @Sirref "??group
October 10,11 NJMP Thunderbolt (A) @Sirref "??group
October 28,29 NJMP Thunderbolt @Sirref "??group
29 NJMP Thunderbolt @Sirref ??group

@Ducati999, @Bigballsofpaint, @BlackNinja8, @backinthesaddleagain, @twistedthrottle, @ttd, @csmith12, @Sirref @nickjpass

Last futzed with by adouglas; August 31st, 2017 at 08:49 AM.

Old August 21st, 2017, 07:11 AM   #149
adouglas
Cat herder

Just got back from a TERRIFIC weekend at Palmer. Dodged the rain and got good weather both days.

I borrowed a page from @csmith12's playbook and hosted a couple of new riders, including good eats.

One of those guys is destined for great things. Got his head screwed on right -- humble and an eager student -- but has really great technique. They bumped him to yellow on his second track day ever. He rides a bone-stock Ninja 300 and is already as fast or faster than me everywhere but the straights.

Also got an account of a dicey incident in blue group, involving our very own Greg (@backinthesaddleagain) and a pass in turn 5. But that's his story to tell.

Reason for this note, though, is an observation about learning and getting better. I successfully upped my game another notch and the whole weekend felt really good. What struck me about it was that I had more ability to observe, think and plan ahead during the lap, as opposed to managing each corner as it came. I did have a few moments, but by Sunday afternoon it was really clicking.

I think this has to do with that mental budget thing. Less of my brain is occupied with operating the bike and the details of technique, so more is available to think about other things like being smooth, bike placement, etc.

When you're still learning where the limits are, when you're tickling those SR triggers... that makes it harder to stay on line and hit your marks simply because of mental overload. But with experience and practice come comfort and confidence.

Note to self for next time... there are corners where you KNOW you can carry more speed. So do it.

Old August 21st, 2017, 04:44 PM   #150
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

REALLY hoping ill be seeing you at Thompson, unsure on the day right now though.

Old August 22nd, 2017, 01:45 AM   #151
Ducati999

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Anyone planning on being at Palmer over the Labor day weekend please PM me. I am planning on being there if at all possible!

Old August 22nd, 2017, 04:06 AM   #152
adouglas
Cat herder

Labor Day requires me to be with the mrs. this year. Hoping to do Thompson, and if I do it'll be the Sunday Sept 24 date because of my membership. Haven't run the track CCW this year and I like that direction better.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 04:36 AM   #153
Ducati999

I am still not sure if I can swing Palmer next weekend. Even one day may not be possible at this time. We have a couple who want to move into our apartment as soon as possible and there is still a bunch of work to do. I have added a lot to the contractors workload but there are a few things I must do which he cant, like pull the 220VAC line for the Dryer. We will have to wait n see if I can get this done before Palmer sells out. I can promise I will ride with you at Thompson in September but Labor Day is unsure.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 08:18 AM   #154
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Just got back from a TERRIFIC weekend at Palmer. Dodged the rain and got good weather both days.

I borrowed a page from @csmith12's playbook and hosted a couple of new riders, including good eats.

One of those guys is destined for great things. Got his head screwed on right -- humble and an eager student -- but has really great technique. They bumped him to yellow on his second track day ever. He rides a bone-stock Ninja 300 and is already as fast or faster than me everywhere but the straights.

Also got an account of a dicey incident in blue group, involving our very own Greg (@backinthesaddleagain) and a pass in turn 5. But that's his story to tell.

Reason for this note, though, is an observation about learning and getting better. I successfully upped my game another notch and the whole weekend felt really good. What struck me about it was that I had more ability to observe, think and plan ahead during the lap, as opposed to managing each corner as it came. I did have a few moments, but by Sunday afternoon it was really clicking.

I think this has to do with that mental budget thing. Less of my brain is occupied with operating the bike and the details of technique, so more is available to think about other things like being smooth, bike placement, etc.

When you're still learning where the limits are, when you're tickling those SR triggers... that makes it harder to stay on line and hit your marks simply because of mental overload. But with experience and practice come comfort and confidence.

Note to self for next time... there are corners where you KNOW you can carry more speed. So do it.
Quick synopsis of my incident. A guy who is from RI, like me, occasionally does track days. He has been known to stay out an extra lap after the checkered flag, weave way out to the left on pitting out to a right hand turn after they mention stay tight to the right all the way out, never goes to the classroom sessions, basically holds everyone up with his weaving riding style. Oh and I should mention he rides an S1000 and a ninja H2. Basically hammer down the straight and drop anchor in the corners.

Earlier in the day he says to me its his first track day of the year and he wants to follow me 3 laps of the first open session and me follow him the next 3 laps. I say no I don't want to do that as I am back after falling at my last track day in june. He also has KOMA on his leathers which stands for keep off my a**.

Oh well so where do I find myself a few sessions later, in a log jam, one by one the bikes go past the rider and I am behind him. Now I try to make a move for a lap + but can't get past him on the straights on a 636 vs 1000, but am right on top of him in every corner. Track day rules are no passing from tip in to apex and they should be outside passes. Finally he slows quite a bit in a tight uphill right that I make a run up the outside, right. Before I can tip in I feel a bump in my left arm, I see him and then a bigger bump into my left. We both run off the track into the gravel, luckily years of dirt bike riding and MX kept me on 2 wheels. I was ripped at him and talked to the instructor who was behind us. He said neither of us really did anything wrong but when he ran wide, I had myself in a bad situation being on the outside of him and he was wide to begin with.

I should have known to stay away from him as he is a menace, which I told him while he was sitting on the ground. I can appreciate that if you go around someone on the outside and they fall you should expect to be collateral damage, but when they can't make a turn and swoop into you is very aggravating. I went to classroom where we discussed it, he told tow truck driver I hit him and then he packed up and went home. I knew he wouldn't come to the classroom to discuss.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:47 AM   #155
adouglas
Cat herder

Glad you came out of it in one piece.

Sounds like you were getting really frustrated out there.

Next time... maybe just take a break and roll through hot pit?

Old August 24th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #156
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Glad you came out of it in one piece.

Sounds like you were getting really frustrated out there.

Next time... maybe just take a break and roll through hot pit?
yeah but I just hate pitting out when the track is hot, even on initial pit out I like to be there right on time so when I get on the track there is no one closing at a high rate of speed.

Old August 31st, 2017, 08:48 AM   #157
adouglas
Cat herder

In for Sunday, September 24 at Thompson, yellow group.
@Ducati999

Old October 3rd, 2017, 08:20 AM   #158
adouglas
Cat herder

The final nail is in the 2017 coffin for me.

Last night I took the bike off the trailer and rolled it into the shop for the winter.

I am sad.

Old October 3rd, 2017, 10:10 AM   #159
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Oct. 9th for me, but I am tired again this year. I am actually looking forward to taking some time off and enjoying some dirt/trail riding, 4wheelers, family bonfires and getting my grandkids muddy.

Old October 6th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #160
adouglas
Cat herder

Grandkids? Wow. You're old. :P