Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old September 24th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Sulman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

I wrote about my Ducati demo day.

These were the first bikes I tried since I bought my Ninja, almost a year before, I know test rides can be transformative for a lot of people, but while I enjoyed it, I didn't quite feel like I had to get another bike, let alone a Ducati. I still felt (then, and now) that the Ninja is what I need for now. We'll see how I feel after another winter and the season rolls around, I suppose...I honestly can't see myself getting rid of it, so I'm probably into second bike territory as and when the time comes.

Jim
Sulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2016, 06:13 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Well if this tells you anything about how good these bikes are, I have had my bike since 2005 and it's still going strong.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Sulman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Well if this tells you anything about how good these bikes are, I have had my bike since 2005 and it's still going strong.
I think it's great, and I like it even more with time, which must mean something.

Old September 24th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #4
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I went to our Ducati Demo days a couple months ago.

They only let you ride 2 bikes a day. I really wanted to try the Multistrada, but it was all booked up by the time I arrived the first day, so I took the Scrambler and then the XDiavel for rides.

The Scrambler was a blast, light and flickable like the Ninjette, but with tons of torque. The XDiavel I didn't care for. Too much vibration through my feet.

The second day I was the first in line, half an hour before they opened to get on the Multistrada. And it was worth the wait. Loved that bike. Not enough to pay $23K the way I want it set up, but still loved it.

Yesterday I went to a Victory demo day. I liked the Cross Country and the Vision as touring bikes, but I don't know how much touring I really will do at this point. Also took the Octane for a ride. That was a blast. My first ride was the Highball. I chose it because my daughter was enamored with it at the Bike Show last February. I absolutely hated it. Ape Hangers are not for me. I had a lot of pain in my right shoulder, so much that I was having problems turning corners. Plus even on low speed corners I was scraping the pegs.

I like demo days.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #5
Sulman
ninjette.org member

I hadn't been able to get to many through the Summer, and regretted it. I really wanted to get to a Yamaha and Suzuki event, for the FZ-09 and pretty much all the GSXR's, and the Strom, which I really like the look of.

Old September 25th, 2016, 08:42 AM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Why do you guys wait for events? I just go to the shop and ask if I can ride something (granted I haven't tried with Ducati). I've ridden Triumphs, BMWs, and Zeros (at a Yamaha shop) this way.

Hell, with the Zero we didn't even pretend like we were looking to buy one, literally just walked in, found a sales guy, and said that we've never ridden an electric bike and wanted to see what it was like. He was totally fine with it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #7
Sulman
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
Why do you guys wait for events? I just go to the shop and ask if I can ride something (granted I haven't tried with Ducati). I've ridden Triumphs, BMWs, and Zeros (at a Yamaha shop) this way.

Hell, with the Zero we didn't even pretend like we were looking to buy one, literally just walked in, found a sales guy, and said that we've never ridden an electric bike and wanted to see what it was like. He was totally fine with it.
BMW and Ducati are exceptions about test rides - they are happy to have people ride a bike.

The dealers for the Japanese big four here don't seem to bother with demo units, so no test rides.

Old October 4th, 2016, 07:29 AM   #8
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulman View Post
BMW and Ducati are exceptions about test rides - they are happy to have people ride a bike.

The dealers for the Japanese big four here don't seem to bother with demo units, so no test rides.
I found the same thing with the dealers in my area. I do usually show up on a Ducati but they have all offered me test rides on everything (except the R models) while I was just kicking tires. I did not even say I was interested in buying a new bike.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #9
Sulman
ninjette.org member

Speaking of Zero bikes, I had some thoughts about EVs in general, and ended up going down a bit of a rabbit hole:
https://sullybiker.wordpress.com/201...ends-electric/

Old August 11th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #10
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

I find Ducati incredibly fascinating. Their engine design and bike design. There's supposed to be a demo here in central IL at the end of the month and I'm
Going to test one out. I'm going to keep my '06 250 for the remainder of my life but I want to upgrade to a R6, 600r, KTM, or Ducati in the next year or two. Something off the show room floor only a couple years old. I refuse to buy brand new. I figured Ducati to be amazing but your write up is disappointing. Great write up just disappointed the bike wasn't more fascinating for you.

Old August 11th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Sulman
ninjette.org member

@A.J. I've since ridden them a few more times, and other bikes besides, but haven't written about it yet.

I'd say the Monster 821 is one of the best of those bikes I've ever ridden, at least for the street. It's got plenty of power, but is geared such that's it is all usable (well, most of it). The motor is fantastic. The 1200's got better suspension but the motor is utterly insane, iIMHO. Put it this way, if you didn't kill yourself, you'd never get bored with it, unless you like changing gear, because you won't be doing a lot of that.

The 959 is a truly beautiful bike, but I honestly preferred the Monsters.

Old August 11th, 2017, 07:11 AM   #12
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Quote:
@A.J. I've since ridden them a few more times, and other bikes besides, but haven't written about it yet.

I'd say the Monster 821 is one of the best of those bikes I've ever ridden, at least for the street. It's got plenty of power, but is geared such that's it is all usable (well, most of it.). The motor is fantastic. The 1200's got better suspension but the motor is utterly insane, imho. Put it this way, if you didn't kill yourself, you'd never get bored with it, unless you like changing gear, because you won't be doing a lot of that.

The 959 is a truly beautiful bike, but I honestly preferred the Monsters.
@Sulman sounds great! I'm a 36yr old female though and those bikes all sound like they're too much for me. I got the change to ride an R1 a week ago for about 15 miles and I wasn't scared I just knew that it was too much for me to even consider. Now 1000cc's on a cruiser is a different story i could ride one of those all day and not blink an eye. But I do not like cruisers at all. To be honest I'm more comfortable on a long haul on my 250 than I would be on a cruiser.
But hey, since you're a man who enjoys trying out different bikes grab a KTM Duke 390 and get back to me. Might just be the most fun ride on the planet. Unless you've ridden one, then we can talk specs
I thought for sure the 390 would be the next best thing especially for beginners but seems the ninjette still gets the gold this summer.

Old August 11th, 2017, 07:24 AM   #13
Sulman
ninjette.org member

@A.J. I don't think power or weight would be a problem for you on any of them. I'd say the full-fat 1200 class bikes are less enjoyable because they're a drag to ride at street speeds; like a cookie you're only allowed to bite the chocolate chips off.

If you can, ride the Scrambler and the Monster 797. They have a similar engine and are extremely pleasant bikes. Although the 797 is ostensibly only a few CC smaller than the 821, it's totally different. You'll find the throttle response not too far off the Ninja, but it keeps pulling as long as you want it to.

I haven't ridden the 390; it's definitely on the list, as are the 690 and Superduke. I have a friend with both, and the 690 in particular looks like a lot of fun:

Old August 11th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
@A.J. I don't think power or weight would be a problem for you on any of them. I'd say the full-fat 1200 class bikes are less enjoyable because they're a drag to ride at street speeds; like a cookie you're only allowed to bite the chocolate chips off.

If you can, ride the Scrambler and the Monster 797. They have a similar engine and are extremely pleasant bikes. Although the 797 is ostensibly only a few CC smaller than the 821, it's totally different. You'll find the throttle response not too far off the Ninja, but it keeps pulling as long as you want it to.

I haven't ridden the 390; it's definitely on the list, as are the 690 and Superduke. I have a friend with both, and the 690 in particular looks like a lot of fun:
Thanks! I definitely think the Scrambler is right up my alley. I haven't come across a 690, but better believe it's on my short list of CC upgrades in the next year or two. I think KTM sport bikes are very underrated. I'll remember what you said when the Ducati demo opens up! Kawasaki just keeps producing Ninjas that are hard to turn a cheek to. Also think Yamaha has really come around and one thing I've learned through all my research is that CBR's are junk. And I'm a Honda fan. I remember my dad always telling me Honda could've done better when they made the CBR.