ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 30th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #1
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Extending Swingarm

Like in this picture:

What exactly does it do the the handling/performance of the bike?
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

For a 250? Nothing good in my opinion. It's purpose is to lengthen the wheelbase for better straight line performance. This is used on alot of super sports that can wheelie at the slightest touch. The down side is that it makes it slower at turning. Since the 250 relies more on it's nimbleness then on straight line power, extending the swingarm on a ninjette is just stupid (in my opinion all swingarm extensions are stupid so whatever).
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Extended swingarms do have a practical value, with the primary purpose being moving the rear wheel back to help keep the front from lifting under hard acceleration. That said, obviously this is more of a necessity on much much more powerful bikes. To do so on anything less powerful is a little like the triple-decker wings you see on stock Civics and Neons. But, unlike the giant wings on slow cars, this will likely noticably reduce lateral performance.

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM   #4
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Looks like a drag bike
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

From my experience, extending the swing arm is frequently a method of compensating for a man's inadequacy in other departments...

Humor aside, I believe the practice originated on drag bikes to increase linear stability and make it harder to 'wheelie' the front end in high-torque situations. You'll never need that with the N250. Even the gentleman on the forums with one of the world's fastest 250s (Racer X) has a stock swingarm, I believe.
One 250's best attributes is its maneuverability. Extending the swingarm compromises this.

Link to a citation I quickly googled

Edit: gotta love this forum! In the time I spend typing my reply and feeding the cat, three other people have already done so

Old December 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
In the time I spend typing my reply and feeding the cat, three other people have already done so
Three people have fed your cat while you were typing this? That's awkward...

ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:32 AM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Looks like a drag bike
Pretty cool looking one too. Says turbo on the side, wonder if it is? Also kinda nice looking front disc/rotor
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM   #8
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

Oh yeah that is definitely a sweet-looking bike! But, unless it really is turbo and is somehow cranking out a magical amount of power for a 250, it is now pretty much good at nothing :P .