ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Is there such a thing as a street-legal slip on?

I've been thinking about buying an aftermarket exhaust slip on to replace my stock pipe. I am unsure why all the descriptions say "for track use only" when people get away with them every day. Harley's sound 20x louder than an aftermarket pipe for a 250, so is it a sound or a pollution issue?

Some of my options:

Leo Vince Carbon Fiber SBK GP Corsa
Hotbodies Carbon Fiber MGP Growler
Delkevic "Mini 8" silencer"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Practically, there's no such thing. The vast majority of aftermarket exhausts are not legal for on-road use. There are a small number of exceptions where the aftermarket company takes the pipes through the certification process, but I don't know of any of them for our ninjette. (Or any Japanese sportbike, for that matter).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Practically, there's no such thing. The vast majority of aftermarket exhausts are not legal for on-road use. There are a small number of exceptions where the aftermarket company takes the pipes through the certification process, but I don't know of any of them for our ninjette. (Or any Japanese sportbike, for that matter).
That makes sense. I think I'll be able to get away with it, since I'm new I'm not going to be shifting too high or going too fast anyways for it to be outstandingly loud. I'll probably switch it back out to the stock pipe when I go for my classes and test in the spring for my license.

Old November 24th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
It's one of those laws that is not actively enforced unless someone complains about noise.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #5
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
It's one of those laws that is not actively enforced unless someone complains about noise.
Like most things unless there is someone who cries wolf you can get by with it. Some cops have no issues with it but you will know if you run into the wrong one or if its time to meet quota.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Like most things unless there is someone who cries wolf you can get by with it. Some cops have no issues with it but you will know if you run into the wrong one or if its time to meet quota.
Basically you have to ask yourself if you are willing to roll the dice and take the chance of getting caught.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
Soujyu
ninjette.org sage

Name: W

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (sold), 2012 Tuono V4R

No, there's no such thing. Don't waste your money, as all a slip-on does is change the sound, which doesn't really matter once you have your helmet and earplugs on (you are riding with earplugs, are you?).

There is nothing wrong with riding with the stock exhaust, and I encourage folks to do so instead of splurging on worthless exhausts.
Soujyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

I had a full Yoshimura steet exhaust on my SV650S.

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

The Harley exhausts you can hear are illegal. All non-stock systems are illegal.

Most states have a rule whereby ANY modification to the OEM emissions control items is subject to a fine or worse. This includes your exhaust, and some states specifically mention it. As a guy who got pulled over for a load exhaust on his truck, I can tell you that it is completely up to the specific cop pulling you over.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

I have the growler on, supposedly the loudest exhaust for the ninjette. and yea its ridiculous at times, especially when warming it up as its prone to backfire. But I've been riding it all over NYC area and so far no issues. I think police have to have a decibel reader with them to be able to prove you're too loud. Similar to those devices they use to prove your level of tint on windows.

Old November 25th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #11
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubin View Post
I have the growler on, supposedly the loudest exhaust for the ninjette. and yea its ridiculous at times, especially when warming it up as its prone to backfire. But I've been riding it all over NYC area and so far no issues. I think police have to have a decibel reader with them to be able to prove you're too loud. Similar to those devices they use to prove your level of tint on windows.
That's the exhaust I'm buying. It looks the best, sounds the best, and isn't an absurd $350-$500 for a Two Bros or Yoshi, plus it's carbon fiber, the cheapest Yoshi is still over $300..

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

What about a stock exhaust from a much larger bike?

Old November 25th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
What about a stock exhaust from a much larger bike?
How would that fit my stock pipe?

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #14
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
How would that fit my stock pipe?
I don't know could be the same size, or require a piece of pipe as a union between the two.

My question really was a question though, if it is legal on one bike, is it legal on another?

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

There's a thread around for pulling stock exhaust off a gixxer 750 and making it a slip-on for a 250. That's probably more illegal than anything, to be honest, since it is essentially just a tip with no noise reduction.

The legality does depend on state. My state law is "you have to have a muffler without a bypass or cutout." You can still get a ticket if you're REALLY annoying, but it would have to be based on a complaint rather than a dB meter.

All things considered though, the only reason I've ever thought of an exhaust change is because I burned the bottom of my saddlebags on the stock muffler.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Yes!

It's called OEM stock muffler.

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Dan Moto... cheap. looks nice and sounds nice.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #18
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubin View Post
It was a just a judgement call by me
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #19
Brian
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
I don't know could be the same size, or require a piece of pipe as a union between the two.

My question really was a question though, if it is legal on one bike, is it legal on another?
Oh, it was a question or suggestion for the title. I gotcha. I'm not totally sure. I think the bike's exhaust it's built with is designed specifically for that bike's engine and how it breathes. So if you take an exhaust slip on from an R6 for example it would change some things, but definitely not anything major.

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #20
TwoSixSided
ninjette.org member

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I have the danmoto carbon gp coming in the mail, I'm in Florida. I just got done reading how you can't have any aftermarket exhausts here that mess with the volume. Do you think i'll get pulled over? I really don't see how I would when there's still gonna be, let's see.. every harley on the road being louder then me.
TwoSixSided is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 25th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #21
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSixSided View Post
I have the danmoto carbon gp coming in the mail, I'm in Florida. I just got done reading how you can't have any aftermarket exhausts here that mess with the volume. Do you think i'll get pulled over? I really don't see how I would when there's still gonna be, let's see.. every harley on the road being louder then me.
Like the posts have said it depends, majority of the time you will have no troubles but find the wrong cop at the right time and he will have an opinion to state. Bikes are understandable to be loud cause it draws attention but that doesn't mean everyone likes it.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #22
Brian
ninjette.org sage

So I ordered the Hotbodies Growler. I can't wait to hear it :P I am also looking at the Danmoto exhaust if I change my mind about it.