ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 14th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
michael38
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Ride to Work

I want to ride my bike to work but I have to wear a buttoned shirt, tie, dress pants, and dress shoes everyday. There aren't any lockers in the office....How do you guys ride to work? Do you carry your work clothes and then change when you get there? What kind of bag do you use (I don't want to mount a case to my bike)?
michael38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Brooklyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Tricia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I like the Kriega US20 tail bag and the Icon Squad 2 Mil-Spec Backpack.

However, since I am female I can get away with wearing clothing that do not crush easily.
Brooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

I get suited and booted in the toilet cubicle, keep my suit in a suit bag on a coat hook.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshorilla View Post
I get suited and booted in the toilet

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 14th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I put my gear on over my clothes and I can then take it off in the open

Overpants are your friend!
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #6
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

I carry my business shirt and pants in my backpack (OGIO Mach 5).

Keep my suit jacket and dress shoes at work. Change in the bathroom.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #7
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I have trouble with this too since I wear slacks, shirt and tie. It's not a thing in the cooler months, but in the six or so weeks of >80 degrees it wrinkles like something else. I don't usually have an issue with pants wrinkling since I roll the Icon Overlord textiles that are super baggy.

A couple of tips:

- don't starch your shirts. When they get sweaty under your gear they'll wrinkle badly.
- keep a can of anti-static spray at your desk. I've found that can help a little bit.
- consider going with the rolled-up sleeve look, or keep a light sweater or extra shirt in your desk drawer Mad Men style.

If all else fails, just ask your boss to get an ironing board. When you get there, get in the break room and close the door, and do a quick pressing.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #8
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

I'm not too fussed with wrinkled clothes from being folded in the backpack. Helmet hair annoys me far more lol
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #9
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Fold the clothes appropriately so they don't wrinkle in the bag, change in the bathroom once you get there. Bring some deoderant, a small towel for sweat, Cologne, body spray or w/e else u need too. As far as hair, I drench my hair in the bathroom sink, dry with paper towls and presto change-o I look like I drove a car to work.

Old July 15th, 2013, 04:30 AM   #10
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

I'm lucky,

I can wear bermudas and t-shirts to work, so the bermudas goes in the tank bag and I change once at work...

To help you, look on the internet, you'll find lots of ways to pack to avoid wrinkles. Two key words, friction and pressure cause wrinkles... So use plastic bag to avoid friction and pack loose to avoid pressure... There are ways to fold to avoid wrinkles, I'm sure youtube have plenty of them...

For the hair now, maybe shaving them will prevent helmet hair-do... héhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhéhé...

Good luck...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #11
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Yeah, I've gone to a short buzz cut to make the hair easier to deal with.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I use a Kreiga US 30 bag, works great and its waterproof just in case. I have a gym with lockers at work, so I hoard all my belongings there. But previously, I would just change in the bathroom. I made it easier for myself by stockpiling a weeks work of dress shirts along with my suit and a pair of dress shoes at my desk on Mondays. Fold your shirts correctly and hopefully no wrinkles. And I leave all my motorcycle gear at my desk in the Kreiga bag. Good luck.
MrChau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #13
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I ride will all gear expect for the overpants, which have just been ordered. I bought river road cruiser boots to ride with cause they still can pass as dress shoes (almost).
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Worst case scenario drive in about once a week, have a few pairs of trousers & 5 shirts ironed & folded to keep in a drawer in your desk (or a small case under your desk if you're really stuck)

The disabled toilet is the best place to get changed, there's plenty of space there.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #15
MNDruggist
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 Ebony

I keep a spare set of clothes hanging at work in a locker. Just in case I get caught in a storm or something. Other than that, I just wear my jacket and overpants over the work clothes go for it.

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #16
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Similar scenario here - slightly less formal, no tie necessary (only one guy wears one). I wear dress pants and a shirt and wear my gear over them. I just got over pants and wear those over. However it did just get like extremely hot and humid here so I wear Kevlar jeans or khakis and wear my pants at work.i fold them and throw them in a backpack - no wrinkles ever you just have to fold em right. I usually just swap pants in my cube - it's all open but I'm usually the first one there.

I wear my SMX+ boots everyday and leave dress shoes at my desk. I hAve deodorant but I hardly need to use it, only on really hot days and that's usually on way home in that case I work out and shower anyways. I also change in bathroom at times (usually) on way home Kause everyone crowds Around me desk.

I also walk into the building fully geared and when I have some good free time I need to make a thread on some of the issues that has brung/brought?

So @michael38 do not get discouraged and get her out there every day. I hang my green jacket in my Kube, helmet and gloves on my desk. Boots underneath and I'm set.

Btw even in the summer I wear same getup in ATGATT and long sleeved dress shirt. So far in winter I dress for summer and in summer I dress for winter underneath my gear. Office temps are so backwards.

Hope this helps you.

Old July 20th, 2013, 01:18 AM   #17
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
Similar scenario here - slightly less formal, no tie necessary (only one guy wears one). I wear dress pants and a shirt and wear my gear over them. I just got over pants and wear those over. However it did just get like extremely hot and humid here so I wear Kevlar jeans or khakis and wear my pants at work.i fold them and throw them in a backpack - no wrinkles ever you just have to fold em right. I usually just swap pants in my cube - it's all open but I'm usually the first one there.
Same here - dress shirt on (getting a slim fit helps avoiding wrinkles), Leather Jacket over it. Riding Jeans and boots for the road, and change into slacks and dress shoes when at the office. We have a changing room so it's really convenient.

I have a parking space for myself, so I just put the bike there and then walk through the office complex to my station. We have quite a lot of riders, so seeing someone in gear heading from or to the changing room is common.
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #18
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Since I work at the local pool in the summer, I just wear my work shirt and all my gear while on the bike and carry my other work stuff (towel, swim trunks, and goggles) in my backpack. If I need extra room I will bring along my tank bag but I rarely do that. When I get to work, I can either put my bag in my locker or take it up front to the cash register with me, which is usually what I end up doing. I change in the bathroom and then store my gear in my locker. To fix the helmet hair problem I just hop in the pool.

It all works out really nicely for me, but I'm not sure what you should do in your situation.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2013, 02:07 PM   #19
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Keeping a pair of shoes at work helps a lot, too.

Old July 29th, 2013, 04:59 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I keep pants (jeans… my workplace is casual) and shoes at work, because pants can be worn multiple times before needing a wash. Shirt goes with me, either under my jacket or in a bag.

Devote a desk drawer to this stuff if you work in a cubicle.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #21
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Like others posting here, I wear dress pants and a button up to work. Sometimes a tie - if I have an important meeting or presentation.

In the past, I would pack my clothes in an Eagle Creek Packit Folder and slip it into my backpack. It fits nicely and does a good job keeping everything neat. Well, at least the wrinkles are limited to the natural fold/crease lines of the shirt/pants. I would change in the bathroom.

However, I grew tired of the extra effort and now just wear my clothes under my jacket and over-pants. My shirt does wrinkle in steamy weather, so I often revert back to my original system if I have a bunch of meetings or whatever.

The hair is another story.

Old July 30th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #22
Trubin
Easy Rider

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 250R

I put on a padded motorcycle jacket over my shirt and ride in my express dress pants and motorcycle boots. I change my boots for shoes in my office and my suit jacket with a tie are on the other side of the door. I've also brought in two extra shirts one weekend for the time I might need to make an extra special appearance. I live in Brooklyn and commute to work daily to midtown. I work in a very fancy button down environment for upscale hotels . In our hospitality industry the Dress code is 3 pages long, clean shaved, clean hair cut, shirt must must be light in color, free of wrinkles, black pants, black socks, black shoes, with ties only being optional on Fridays. But luckily for me I'm the most laid back guy on the floor, and probably the youngest. Two top buttons open all the time, barely wore my tie, a real rebel. I've been looking for others that ride bikes to Midtown NYC 9 to 5 so that we could chain them together and the cops would have a harder time towing them but been having trouble finding anyone that rides to midtown. Seems like everyone just switched over to those citi bikes and ride bicycles to work now.