ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 6th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Sportisi Hugger questions...

Ok im thinkin about pickin one of these up but just wanted to get some opinions from people who have them installed and have used them for quite a bit.

Just wanna start off by saying I dont wanna offend Bram, Matt, or anyone else associated with the company...just want some honest answers

I've heard about some fitment and quality issues. If you can attest to this or say that it is a perfectttt product lemme know. If theres problems can you post up some detailed pics.

Hows it work in the rain? I find when it rains here in southern florida I get dirt and water sprayed all the way up to my tail light and even some on my solo seat cowl because of the lack of a fender. Will this help with that?

Any other comments about the product and detailed pictures would be great thanks!!

Old August 6th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #2
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I don't have one of these on my Ninja, but I have the factory one on my cbr, and have had other bikes with huggers.

A hugger won't help with the crap that gets thrown up onto the back of the bike do to a missing rear fender, it sits too far forward to block that. A hugger will cut down on the crap that gets thrown up onto your rear shock/spring. Hope this helps a little.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #3
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

No offense taken. This being hand layed fiberglass there is always a slight variation. Most complications come from the install where people often forget to do a step and say it does not fit properly. Every hugger is fitted on the 250 prior to leaving for the US to insure fitment. The quality objections I have been faced with has beenthe color matching. Red and Green are the two hardest colors to paint (there isa very fine line needed or else it will be to dark or to light) and those have been the only complaints (although I've only heard a couple) quality wise I have seen. The quality control is pretty good with sportisi. But every once in awhile something does slip through the cracks.

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #4
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

So far of the Images of 250R 08-09 Rear tire huggers ive seen... Sportsi isnt a handsome lookin' aftermarket part IMO. Id love to get one of These (RED) if possible, but colors to my knowledge are limited to Black or CarbonFiber (actual CF)

<< For our 250R bikes, Pics shown are for ZX9,ZX12 Thou the basic Design is the Same from the other pics i saw on their site. just the chainguards holes would be slightly longer/shorter then shown below >>

Skidmarx (UK made)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hugger_kawasaki_zx9re_0001.jpg (41.8 KB, 688 views)
File Type: jpg hugger_kawasaki_zx12_03.jpg (84.5 KB, 683 views)
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Figured I'd ask here... does the cover have holes for the swingarm spools or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
So far of the Images of 250R 08-09 Rear tire huggers ive seen... Sportsi isnt a handsome lookin' aftermarket part IMO. Id love to get one of These (RED) if possible, but colors to my knowledge are limited to Black or CarbonFiber (actual CF)

<< For our 250R bikes, Pics shown are for ZX9,ZX12 Thou the basic Design is the Same from the other pics i saw on their site. just the chainguards holes would be slightly longer/shorter then shown below >>

Skidmarx (UK made)
Ugh. Are you kidding? That is absolutely HIDEOUS. Sportisi bulks up your swingarm and actually matches the styling of the bike. That thing has way too much fairing-colored plastic over parts that should be colored like the hardware. Sure, it doesn't have an odd fairing color piece sharing a bolt with a black chain guard like some, but it's somehow even MORE hideous. I didn't think that was even possible.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

No holes for spools. you an still use spools but you have to be careful not to crack the cover

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
No holes for spools. you an still use spools but you have to be careful not to crack the cover
Thanks. Are you saying that I need to be careful not to crack it when drilling holes and tightening down the spools or is it that I can access the holes without drilling but I need to be careful about contact with the cover? It appears that most spools are tapered and will not contact much area around the threaded mounting point.

I just realized that this thread wasn't really a logical place to ask this question even though it was the only thread that showed up in a google search for "Sportisi hugger spools" other than an irrelevant thread I made earlier today.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

no drilling is needed I would put a ureathane spacer in thoughto hold the spool just off the cover but close enough you cant tell there is a spacer in there

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #9
knowledge
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
A hugger won't help with the crap that gets thrown up onto the back of the bike do to a missing rear fender, it sits too far forward to block that. A hugger will cut down on the crap that gets thrown up onto your rear shock/spring. Hope this helps a little.
I'm looking for a rear hugger to ease up on having to clean the rear shock, undertail, licence plate, and brake light so much (I have a fender eliminator installed).

What would be my best option? Basically - which hugger extends the farthest out?

Thanks in advance...
knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No hugger that I've seen will keep stuff off your tail light and plate. That would mean a full fender. As has been said, the only functional benefit a hugger gives you is keeping the suspension clean.

I installed my Sportisi last weekend, so I don't have a lot of miles on it.

Here are my observations:

1) You have to be careful bending it while installing. It is a bit on the brittle side. It won't fail without warning or anything, but you do need to have your wits about you and pay attention when you start hearing crunching noises.

In the interest of full disclosure I did crack the tab that fits under the chain rubber. Call this however you like... I wasn't forcing it too much IMHO, but I won't call it a defect. It did not break off and it is not an area that is under any stress once installed, so I'm good.

I know just enough about composites to be dangerous. I believe that using epoxy resin instead of polyester would make the cover less brittle. Adding a layer of glass to areas that tend to get flexed during installation (like that tab) would reduce the chance of accidental damage.

2) In my case, I had to add some rubber washers between the swingarm cover and the fender, and use longer bolts to accommodate them. The instructions say to move the fender forward until it clears the tire, but on mine even shoving it all the way forward until it hit the shock didn't allow it to clear the tire. It needed vertical adjustment. I chose to raise it about a centimeter... enough to allow me to stick a finger between the tire and the hugger.

Having to do this does not bother me, particularly. It would have been nice if it fit perfectly out of the box, but it's no big deal IMHO. It means I have a small gap between the swingarm cover and the fender, but unless you're looking for it you don't really notice it.

3) The instructions talk about marking and drilling.... My cover came drilled, and everything fit fine out of the box with the exception of the vertical adjustment I had to perform, noted above.

4) The fit of the swingarm cover is almost perfect. Almost, but not quite. Again, I don't see this as a real defect. It looks just fine and it's on there solidly, so I have no real complaints. Sure, they may all get fitted to a 250 before shipping, but it's really obvious once installed that it only fits one way, period. The mounting holes for the swingarm cover are already drilled... some of them are ovalized to allow for a bit of movement, but seriously... once it's on there, it's very clear that it only fits one way.

5) Finish is awesome. No problems, good color match.

6) It would have been nice if the cover had notches in it for spools. I just cut the glass away. Not a big deal, but it would be easy to provide it pre-notched. The area in question isn't really visible with the cover installed, so it's not a cosmetic issue for those without spools.

Overall, I give the product an A for aesthetics, and a B-minus for the details. I'd buy it again. But if someone were to offer one that looks as good and had absolutely no nits to pick, I'd by that instead.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #11
knowledge
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Thanks for the review. Really helpful!
knowledge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

When I get around to it I'll post pics to show how much of a non-issue the gap noted above is. The hugger really does look good.

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

As promised...

As you can see, the gap I've introduced to make the hugger clear the tire to my satisfaction is really not noticeable at all.

Old April 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #14
Scott1620
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r(sold), 2007 650R (sold), 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
As promised...
Looks good, im looking forward to getting mine at the end of this week
Scott1620 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM   #15
tjb0012
ninjette.org member

Name: T.J.

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja250r

What size rear tire do you have that called for this mod to the fender? I am thinking about buying one along with upgrading my tire to a 150/60
tjb0012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2010, 07:46 PM   #16
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Do I have to take whole hugger off the bike everytime I adjust chain?
vnranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:31 PM   #17
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

no

Old November 24th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #18
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Candy Thunder blue 2009 kawasaki 250r, 2010 Dark Stealth Ducati Monster 696.

Hi Matt.I still have question that after adjust the chain,we need to realign the rear wheel but the hugger cover the top of swing arm so we can't see the chain adjustment marks.
Do we have to take the hugger off if we change tire?

Old February 20th, 2011, 01:25 AM   #19
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

are these available for order??
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2011, 03:25 AM   #20
vnranger
ninjette.org sage

contact Matt(ztrack157),he is sportisi's US distributor.He'll let you know how to order.