ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 8th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Starting in First

Did a quick search and didn't come up with anything. Apologies if this is yet another redundant thread.

Anyone else have issues starting the engine in first gear?

Yes I'm putting the kickstand up before I try to start (most of the time).
Sometimes it will start in 1st gear, sometimes it won't. Always starts when I kick it over to N, just strikes me as a little odd.
Also checked for vapor lock (below)
Kinda think the kickstand kill switch was going on me, but wouldn't it kill the engine soon as I put it in gear from a start in N? If not the kickstand switch, then what?

Also think I'm getting a little vapor lock, which I haven't had to deal with before. Bike runs fine, but if I pulled over in the direct sun for more than a couple minutes, it was constantly whining and reluctant to start until I popped the tank lid for a sec. Sound about right to you people that have hotter weather? Suggested remedies?

Old April 8th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I've had issues when i thought i was in first cause N light wasn't on but let go of the clutch and didn't move. The only way i know for sure if i'm in first i fell a clunk when shifting to first and the N light is off.

Old April 8th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I don't think mine starts in first unless I'm rolling down a hill and dump the clutch. I'll go check..

Edit:
Woops it does start in first if kickstand is up.

I would think if the kill switch on the stand broke the bike would still run normally?
Only it wouldn't shut off if you put the kickstand down when in first and would start with the kick stand down in first. (scary)
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #4
Ken08Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Sounds like your switch in the clutch lever is sticking. The clutch needs to be pulled in for the bike to start in gear. If the switch sticks it thinks the clutch is not disengaged and won't start.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ken08Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Momaru

Hmm, there's actually a switch/sensor in the clutch lever? Interesting I hadn't noticed that. I'll have to take a look at that, mebbe shoot a little contact cleaner or lubricant in there tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

I don't have any issues starting it in N with the clutch out but tryin to start in gear, I always have the clutch lever pulled. Been driving a manual truck for the last decade that won't start for any reason unless the clutch is in.

Edit: found the switch. PN 27010-0098. Guess I'll see if I can get it to replicate the issue by jamming it in place or something. Might also be the 'wiggle' in my clutch lever just not pushing on it in the right direction.

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I am not familiar with all the switches and safety stuff designed to save ourselves from ourselves------but, like a dumb s---, I left my fog lights on and my battery was dead. I put the bike into second gear, switched the ignition to ON, and gave the bike a good shove, jumped on, and dumped the clutch. Bike started right up. Had about five hours left to get to where I was going, so it was no sweat. Lesson learned: Don`t leave your fog lights on when stopping for a cup of coffee. Sure wish the Ninja had a kick starter.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #7
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Lesson learned: Don`t leave your fog lights on when stopping for a cup of coffee.
Right with ya... I leave the headlights on in my truck more often than I want to remember. I carry one of those portable battery jumpers and use it for that reason alone at least once a month (and hook the battery up to a charger when I get home). Glad the lights are on an ignition switch on the ninjette

Old April 8th, 2010, 05:54 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
Edit: found the switch. PN 27010-0098. Guess I'll see if I can get it to replicate the issue by jamming it in place or something. Might also be the 'wiggle' in my clutch lever just not pushing on it in the right direction.
Yep, and it's known for misbehaving. Jiggle it around, make sure it is moving properly, and it might fix the problem for awhile. Kawi uses the same iffy switch on many of their models.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Momaru

Thanks for confirming Alex.

Argh why Kawai?! You cheap cornballs...

Old April 9th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Momaru

Yep, that's all it was. If I don't have the clutch lever 100% back to the handlebar it sometimes still depresses the switch a tidbit, depending on whether the lever is on the 'up' or 'down' section of its wobble. Think I'm gonna try to take the switch apart tomorrow and adjust the junction a little so it's not quite as finicky.

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #11
i916it
ninjette.org member

Name: Sky

Motorcycle(s): 250R 08

Mine starts in 1st without clutch.
I think the sensor is bad or something.
When I first got the bike, it didn't do it but now it does hehe.
i916it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Momaru

Wound up taking the switch apart yesterday afternoon. Here's what I found:

DSC05090.jpg DSC05091.jpg

Needless to say, that's not how it's supposed to be. Checked the connection across the contacts before I pulled it apart (just plastic tabs holding it together, 2 loc-tite'd screws holding it to the bike) and the connection was poor to say it gently.

5 minutes later with some contact cleaner and a few q-tips, it was clean, reassembled and back on the bike. No trouble starting in gear on 10 consecutive starts so long as the clutch was pulled ~90%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken08Ninja View Post
Sounds like your switch in the clutch lever is sticking. The clutch needs to be pulled in for the bike to start in gear. If the switch sticks it thinks the clutch is not disengaged and won't start.
Posted via Mobile Device
For what it's worth, it seems to me that the switch can't really get stuck in the 'clutch not disengaged' position without also jamming the clutch lever itself, as that's the position with the pin out (spring decompressed). Thanks for notifying me there is a switch there though. Been fiddling with this bike for 18months now and still learning lots