ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you use for ON bike security?
Nothing or Fork lock 39 65.00%
Chain and/or disc locks 15 25.00%
Sound based alarm system 8 13.33%
Cover 8 13.33%
Other combination 2 3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 21st, 2010, 02:08 AM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

What do you do for ON bike security?

Just wondering what kind of combination of security you all use on the bike. I specify ON the bike because dogs, night guards, and a garage isnt something you can on a whim purchase. Dogs I know... dont say it.

I have the gorilla alarm system but I'm debating on its effectiveness.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 04:51 AM   #2
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

When I got the bike, I would use a disk lock, but that only lasted about a month. The main reason was that it was causing rust spots on the disk (parks not hit by the pads).
So I resorted to using the steering wheel lock and putting it in gear so it wouldn't roll if someone tried to push it.

Now days, I don't even do that. I put it in the shed for a few months because a neighbors bike was stolen, but when I did that I found I was too lazy to pull it out, so the bike sat for too long and now I'm having carb problems. So for now it's back in the yard.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I bought an 18 year old gixxer that weighs 500+ pounds.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:01 AM   #4
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Buy full coverage insurance and forget it. They make pretty new shiny ones everyday.

However, I DO park mine up on my front porch of my house- right under my security camera

Plus, I ride a 2002 model- who wants to steal a yellow 2002 anyway? I have owned some very nice vehicles, a couple of classic cars, new bikes... However, I noticed that I just didn't enjoy them as much. I was always worried about something happening to them. Somebody opening a door into them, a bird pooping on the new paint, theft. Turns out that I didn't OWN them, they OWNED me. I got rid of all the "new" toys and "new" payments and am MUCH happier for doing so.

Don't get me wrong, I like NICE. You just have to shop hard to find older "like new" stuff. I wouldn't want a trashed out car OR bike. But a vehicle doesn't have to be brand new to be nice.

I do bring a cable, padlock and bike cover when I travel. That way I can sleep good at night when I am at a hotel/motel. I think a good cover is a huge deterent. Not that I am just scared of losing my bike, would be a huge fly in the ointment to be traveling out of state and lose your wheels.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Chris250
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I put a cover over it, and of course use the steering lock, that's about it.

I used to have a cable lock and it gave me some piece of mind... until I lost the keys, that is. So I got a bolt cutter and cut the cable, and it got me thinking, if it's that easy to get it off, why even bother buying a new one?
Chris250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Den
ninjette.org member

Name: Denis

Motorcycle(s): '10 250R(sold); '10 ER-6F

http://www.xenasecurity.com/product/.../XUL340/page1/

Do you think it's too much?

It's actually too big to fit under the seat

Should have gone for XUL310 instead...
Den is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

i use steering wheel lock and put it in gear..ALWAYS. Plus I have full coverage insurance that covers theft...so i'm not too worried.

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I use the fork lock and a cover. My cover has two fairly robust grommets on the lower seam in the centre of the cover. I put a padlock through the two grommets essentially forcing the potential thief to cut or rip off the cover. Thieves as a rule do not like to be delayed. At home, I have a heated shop, and the Ninja is parked with my six bicycles.

Old October 21st, 2010, 12:48 PM   #9
setasai

This is interesting. It seems pointless to worry about security these days with insurance so readily available. Thanks for reminding me about insurance. I should call them and checkup on the fine print. I've been meaning to do that.

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:26 PM   #10
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
This is interesting. It seems pointless to worry about security these days with insurance so readily available. Thanks for reminding me about insurance. I should call them and checkup on the fine print. I've been meaning to do that.
Mind you, though, that insurance isn't really "security" as security is more a preventative thing, rather than reactional. And eventually having your bike stolen fairly regularly is going to cost you when your insurance premiums go up. Sometimes the best form of security is knowing what not to do, where not to park, and what type of bike not to get.

Old October 21st, 2010, 02:20 PM   #11
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

When not riding - garaged.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 02:35 PM   #12
untdavid
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Candy Plasma Blue 250r

Full Coverage
untdavid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Mind you, though, that insurance isn't really "security" as security is more a preventative thing, rather than reactional. And eventually having your bike stolen fairly regularly is going to cost you when your insurance premiums go up. Sometimes the best form of security is knowing what not to do, where not to park, and what type of bike not to get.
tru dat! i work in compton, i would never ride my bike here and park it in some alley... but if someone decides to haul my bike out of my carport late at night while i'm dreaming of flashmonkey and his desire to have his butt licked by kittens, then i'm sure the full coverage insurance will be good to me. if you live in an area that has high crime rates, then lock that sucker up...

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:33 PM   #14
setasai

As far as I know, San Jose isnt known for high motorcycle thefts. There are tons of them parked all over downtown but I suppose it's just about using common sense. Thanks for the tips. For some reason I find that the cover gives me the most piece of mind since green is a relatively flashy color.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:37 PM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Leave it in garage at home, or work parking lot where parking lot is in plain sight. One thing I find interesting though is when I go to a bike show (vintage/Italian/British) I notice everyone leaves their jackets and helmets with their bikes. I feel like I am the only untrusting person who carries both around, and I just have a plain HJC helmet and Tourmaster jacket.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM   #16
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

It only takes about 2 mins for a bunch of burly guys to throw a bike in a van, and they don't give two shits about disk locks or alarm systems either. Ask me how I know, it happened to my R6 (alarm went off, by the time I got to the parking lot they were done and on their way). I would suggest shooting them but you would probably be the one in trouble then, best advice is keep it in a garage, those a holes scout out easy to nab bikes especially in apartment complexes.

And yes sport bikes and Harleys are the most common stolen, and the mopeds in my area. They would probably leave a ratty old metric cruiser alone.

Old October 21st, 2010, 06:48 PM   #17
backinthesaddleagain

^^ especially this economy. thieves getting even more brazen.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:27 PM   #18
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
while i'm dreaming of flashmonkey and his desire to have his butt licked by kittens
I've done it! I've penetrated your pscyhe....I'm in the blood.....wooooo!

Anyway, here in Toronto there's a bit of an epidemic of bikes being stolen out of Condos. It's more or less a guarantee that if you have a newish sportsbike and live in a Condo...that thing will be gone in a year or so haha. The pattern is apparent and easily read...and the thieves sure as hell aren't being clever or anything....but the insistence of some riders to own super hawt SS bikes and parking it in their condo parking is remarkable....especially when they're shocked and angered when it gets stolen.

Old October 21st, 2010, 07:41 PM   #19
setasai

With all this technology at our disposal, we still arent able to efficiently protect our belongings. Sad really. Sounds like luck is the only thing we can count on in this world.

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I guess I'm one of the only "trusting" ones here. Steering lock is good enough for me. I even leave my helmet hanging off the passenger peg. When I have knee/shin armor on, I tuck it underneath the tail, on top of the rear tire. I do notice that I'm not the only one here in SD that is this trusting. Most bikes I walk past have their helmets on their seat or hanging off their handlebar.

Sadly, I've left my keys in the ignition a couple of times too. First time, the keys were still there after a 9 hour shift. Second time, another rider grabbed the keys and left his number for me to get them. Lucky I guess

When I lived in new York, I've had my car broken into 7 different times and each window smashed at some point (and I was driving a 1996 galant at the time ). From then on, I just stopped locking my car so they can just open the doors and not smash my windows.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:18 AM   #21
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

a small explosive charge under the seat

Old October 22nd, 2010, 05:31 AM   #22
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
With all this technology at our disposal, we still arent able to efficiently protect our belongings. Sad really. Sounds like luck is the only thing we can count on in this world.
All the technology is at the thief's disposal as well, so its has nothing to do with protecting your belongings. I read some sort of security systems test in ADAC newspaper some years ago (they were dealing with cars though), and average brake-in time was about 15 seconds i think, there were some examples which stood for a full minute or so. And the biggest joke is that the make and the price have nothing to do with it, 70 000 eur Mercedes is done in 20 seconds.

Its trust and morale, and nothing else. If they want to steal it, its gone, whatever you put on it. Just think of how much harder is it for a thief to produce false papers or transport the bike out of the country and mess around with serial numbers, and find a customer who is willing to purchase a hot merchandise. That is much harder than putting 200kg in a back of the van. At least for me it would be.

So i just lock the fork and hope for the best.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:18 AM   #23
backinthesaddleagain

One reason I don't lock the fork and not sure if I make sense here. If someone sits on my bike (not to steal it, and not that i would want someone sitting on it), is it easier for them to tip it over because they didnt expect the bars to not turn when they got on it. I park in well watched area for work or if I go for lunch, but now and then I leave it unattended in different places as much as I try to "shelter" it.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM   #24
Flashmonkey

Quote:
That and sometimes you just have to come to terms with yourself and your motives for doing something. Theft is a reality, in some areas more so than in others, and if you're living in an area where nice crap gets stolen...maybe you shouldn't own stuff that's so nice. Or move. That's really the only freedom we have in situations like this.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM   #25
Blackwidow

Quote:
Because the theives have always been one step ahead. Take virus's for comuputers for example, by the time they find a software to block that one virus, the hackers are already working on another. Same goes for any locking device you buy. Where theres a will, theres a way.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:55 AM   #26
backinthesaddleagain

Just the other day in RI, a RI State Trooper was volunteering at a local HS. His car was broken into and they stole his loaded service revolver. Now thats nerve by the crooks (and maybe bad choice by the trooper) so they wouldn't think twice about taking a bike.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:02 AM   #27
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Nothing. Lol. I will use the fork lock if I park it outside. Rite now, its in my garage with the key in it! Though, I live in a very safe area. So chances of someone stealing my bike is much less, at least to me I think so. Hell I leave my car keys in my car too. lol
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #28
scotty

Alternatively you could get a bike no one wants to steal

I WOULD so steal that!!

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:05 AM   #29
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
I WOULD so steal that!!
LOL so would I! Lesson: Don't buy that bike

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:15 AM   #30
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
LOL so would I! Lesson: Don't buy that bike
True, because me and Flashmonkey will take it form you!!

Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:43 AM   #31
backinthesaddleagain

so many people i know don't lock their houses when they are out. i don't think i could ever do that regardless of where i lived.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #32
setasai

Solution. Knight Rider! =) I agree with trust and morale. Shame really.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM   #33
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Nothing. Lol. I will use the fork lock if I park it outside. Rite now, its in my garage with the key in it! Though, I live in a very safe area. So chances of someone stealing my bike is much less, at least to me I think so. Hell I leave my car keys in my car too. lol
Me personally i live in an apartment, but all the houses around me are over a million dollar homes. My area has been rated as one of the top 10 safest cities to live in around the southern cali area....

A few months ago, some a-hole decided to pour sugar into my boyfriends car. Then a few weeks ago, someone tried to break in my bf toolshed in our car port. It doesn't matter where you live or how great your city is, thieves migrate to those areas cuz they know you have your defense down cuz you "think you live in a safe place".

Old October 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #34
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Me personally i live in an apartment, but all the houses around me are over a million dollar homes. My area has been rated as one of the top 10 safest cities to live in around the southern cali area....

A few months ago, some a-hole decided to pour sugar into my boyfriends car. Then a few weeks ago, someone tried to break in my bf toolshed in our car port. It doesn't matter where you live or how great your city is, thieves migrate to those areas cuz they know you have your defense down cuz you "think you live in a safe place".
True.. You know I think I went though your town when I was in Cali a few months back. I know some of the houses out their had glass fences!? I've never seen anything like it before.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM   #35
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
^^^ Glass fences???
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2010, 04:09 PM   #36
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
^^^ Glass fences???
Yes, no joke. A fence made of glass. Each peice of glass was like 5ft tall and about 4-5ft wide. Not sure of the point of it is though.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:50 PM   #37
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
so many people i know don't lock their houses when they are out. i don't think i could ever do that regardless of where i lived.
I once picked my own deadbolt with 2 bobby pins in 4 sec. That was my record, but it was the very day I learned how, and only my 3rd try. So yes, I still lock my house, but I feel a lot less safe.... ignorance really is bliss.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM   #38
NickScott
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja EX250

In addition to locking handlebars / forks, I use a Kryptonite u type lock through the front wheel spoke then at home also wrap a large chain around frame/exhaust then loop the other end thru my 5 spoke Chevy mag wheel.
NickScott is offline   Reply With Quote