ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 23rd, 2018, 02:12 AM   #1
slo86fc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Talking Looking at getting a 250r tomorrow and had some questions

OK, so as the title says, I'm looking at purchasing/trading my buddy's 2007 250R. It's got 21k on it. What sort of issues should I be looking for? What sort of maintenance should've been done already? I've ridden the bike myself and it rides like a dream. Clutch feels fine. It does have some minor issues though. The shift pedal is bent, the front brake cable has snapped, the seat is torn, and he says if it isn't ridden for more than a week or so when you start it up it'll idle rough (this doesn't worry me too much as it'll be my daily but still what could be causing this?). What should this bike go for price wise? I'm considering trading my 1995 Accord for it. My accord has a built "G-series" hybrid motor (For anyone who doesn't know that's taking a Honda F series block and putting on an H series head.). How much cash should I ask for? My car is completely built with pistons, rods, cams, valves, etc. Also I've been looking around at performance mods for the bike and was wondering what sort of mods there are? Was looking at something like this: any feedback? Also would it be easy to swap a newer EFI 250r motor on it? I've looked into the EFI kit but 1k seems a little steep. Thanks for all the help guys! https://www.motosport.com/bazzaz-zaf...lf-mapping-kit
slo86fc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2018, 06:21 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Honestly, the Ninja doesn't sound that great. Maybe $1000 if the bodywork is decent. Maybe less. Pictures would help.

It's going to be tough to figure out what your car is worth. Start with the book value. Even though it has a ton of mods, it doesn't always translate to higher value unless the buyer really wants them. Your buyer may appreciate them, so you have an advantage. If you get 50% back of what you spent on the mods you may be doing well.

As far as modding the Ninja with F.I. or an F.I. engine - I wouldn't bother. It's not a simple proposition (search here for info) and will end-up as a money pit with little return. There are no 250 F.I. engines in the U.S. The 300 was the first. If you really want a newer model, fix-up the 2007 and sell it. Then buy a F.I. 300.

The 400 is out, so 300 prices have dropped somewhat.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2018, 07:04 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No reason to do EFI unless you want extreme mods like turbo. Otherwise carbs on EX500 swap is better value. Even then, only if you do all labour yourself, including lots of cutting and welding of frame.

Don’t pay more than $1000 for that bike, will probably need valve-adjustment, carb-refurbishing by ducatiman, new chain & sprockets, tires.

Suspension mods are best bang-for-buck. Engine mods non-existent other than some high-compression pistons. You’ll spend lots at machine shop for big-bore upgrade with sleeving. Enjoy the bike for what it is, fun light little runabout. If you want more power, much, much easier to just get a 600 supersport that’ll do 160mph right off showroom floor.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.