ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM   #1
NinjaFLYBY
Cruisin Down Hwy 1

Name: Lawrence

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250r New Gen 2011

What is the easiest method to remove the special edition decal design off my bike?

Ive seen people do it from pictures online...anybody got any remedies removing the sticker decals? Any help would be appreciated!
NinjaFLYBY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:44 PM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

heat with a blow dryer - peel off.

use goo b gone to remove any adhesive residue

finish up with a good wax/polish

enjoy the results

btw, welcome the forum

"search" is your friend
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #3
NinjaFLYBY
Cruisin Down Hwy 1

Thx bro!

Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #4
NinjaFLYBY
Cruisin Down Hwy 1

question about using a blow dryer...do I peel a part of the decal before I start using the dryer?

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #5
kkim

Use the heat to soften the glue that the sticker uses to adhere. I use a heat gun set on low and it works great.

So, heat a section of the sticker for a few seconds, start peeling the sticker from a corner in the heated area. As the sticker lifts, continue heating the next section of the sticker and continue pulling the sticker up off the plastic with your other hand. You'll know when you have the heating correct when the sticker lifts smoothly with out stretching or breaking into pieces. The goal is to get it off in as big of pieces that you can.

after the decal is off, and the glue residue remains, use goo gone to get the glue removed. do not use goof off

Last futzed with by kkim; April 21st, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM   #6
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

more good advice from the master

goo gone yes, goof off no
want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM   #7
NinjaFLYBY
Cruisin Down Hwy 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Use the heat to soften the glue that the sticker uses to adhere. I use a heat gun set on low and it works great.

So, heat a section of the sticker for a few seconds, start peeling the sticker from a corner in the heated area. As the sticker lift, continue heating the next section of the sticker and continue pulling the sticker up off the plastic with your other hand. You'll know when you have the heating correct when the sticker lifts smoothly with out stretching or breaking into pieces. The goal is to get it off in as big of pieces that you can.

after the decal is off, and the glue residue remains, use goo gone to get the glue removed. do not use goof off
thanks a million times

Old March 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM   #8
kkim

one more tidbit... when I removed my sticker adhesive, even the goo gone didn't seem to work well, but I did find that lacquer thinner worked very well to remove all traces of the glue very easily. If you use lacquer thinner, I recommend using as little as possible and working quickly to avoid prolonged exposure to it on the paint.

In my younger years of working in a paint shop, lacquer thinner raised eyebrows anytime it was brought close to a finished painted product. I know paints have changed over the last 30-40 years, but I would still be very cautious about using such a strong thinner on painted surfaces. if you do use it, test on an inconspicuous portion first for compatibility.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote