Notices

Old May 12th, 2021, 12:10 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - MO Tested: HJC RPHA 90 Helmet Review

HJC RPHA 90

Editor Score: 85.50%Aesthetics 8.0/10Protection 9.0/10 Value 9.0/10Comfort/Fit 9.0/10 Quality/Design 9.0/10 Weight 8.50/10 Options/Selection 7.50/10Innovation 8.0/10Weather Suitability 8.50/10Desirable/Cool Factor 9.0/10Overall Score85.5/100 Updated May 2021

If you’re here expecting something as witty and biting as John’s review of the Bell Eliminator, I’ve got bad news. First of all, I can’t write anything nearly as witty as Burnsie. Not many can. And second, I actually like the HJC RPHA 90. Like, a lot. Among the MO staff, modular lids are hugely popular and the helmet of choice for most things short of track or dirt riding. However, my personal experience with flip-ups in the past has been checkered. Modulars in my normal size, medium, would fit great with the chin bar open, but when closed the hinge mechanism would slowly put pressure on my temples. I wouldn’t notice on short rides, but one long-distance haul was all it took to come face-to-face with a massive headache. You ever been really far from home with a giant pain in the… head… with no choice but to endure for the ride back? Even if you haven’t, you can imagine the amount of suckage that ensues.

Not wanting to give up on modulars, as I love their practicality, the HJC RPHA 90 was offered my way. Sticking with my natural size medium, the RPHA 90 slid onto my head nicely, the Multi-cool interior and antibacterial fabric feeling plush against my skin. Even with the chin bar down and locked I couldn’t feel any pressure against my temples. Things were looking up, but the real test would come after some miles.

Now that I’ve spent some time with the RPHA 90 and ridden a variety of motorcycles with it on my head, I can say (again) that I like this helmet a lot. It fits my intermediate oval head with the chin bar up or down, the top ventilation scoop and rear exhaust port actually flow a decent amount of air, and the added convenience of having a flip-down sun visor makes this a well-rounded helmet for almost anything.

But let’s back up a bit. Not too long in the past, modular helmets clearly looked bulbous and bulky compared to standard full-face helmets. HJC says the RPHA 90 resembles a full-face lid in both weight and appearance, with the convenience of a modular. While appearances are in the eye of the beholder, to my pupils, it’s hard to tell the 90 is a flip-up when it’s, uh, flipped down. Then again, maybe the Tanisk graphic I have camouflages the split for the chin bar opening, because looking at pictures of the solid color options I’d say it’s pretty clear this is a modular. What’s more objective is its weight. Reading 3-lb, 1oz on my kitchen scale, my medium 90 is basically dead even with other standard full-face lids in my collection. Less so in some cases.

With the helmet in the closed position it’s hard to tell it’s a modular. And that’s the point.

For those who don’t know, HJC’s lineup is pretty substantial. But anything with the RPHA prefix to it means it’s the company’s top-shelf stuff. With the RPHA 90 the helmet’s lightweight is a result of the compact shell constructed of HJC’s very own Premium Integrated Matrix (P.I.M.+) shell material consisting of carbon and carbon-glass hybrid fabric, which HJC says also helps with shock resistance. I don’t know about that last part since I haven’t fallen in it (and I’m trying my best to keep it that way), but I’ll take their word about the material getting credit for the helmet’s weight – or lack of it.

Inside, the RPHA 90 is not a bad place to spend some time. As mentioned before, the interior fabric is plush, and you can remove the crown and cheek pads for washing. HJC makes no mention of the eye port being any wider or bigger than its previous premium modular, the RPHA Max, but the field of view leaves nothing to be desired. Instead, the inner sun visor is now longer and extends lower than before. Although I don’t have the RPHA Max to compare, I do like the coverage of the sun visor, as I’ve never found myself looking through the bottom of the lens hoping for just a little more shade.

The neck roll is fairly substantial, but the short chin curtain could be longer, IMO. Note also the red tab for opening the chin bar.

HJC says the interior has been engineered to reduce noise “significantly.” As someone who wears earplugs no matter how long or short the ride, I can’t say definitively how accurate this claim is. Typically noise reduction is done through beefier neck rolls and/or chin curtains. With the RPHA 90, the included chin curtain is shorter than I’d prefer – I’m guessing to keep it from rubbing the rest of my face each time I lift the chin bar up or down, which I do a lot. As it is, the 90 keeps a decent amount of wind from coming up underneath, even on naked bikes, but depending on the bike, the amount of wind protection it has, your size, or the speed you’re traveling, an annoying amount of air can still find its way underneath the chin bar. A longer chin curtain would go a long way towards making the environment inside calm and serene. Face rubbing be damned.

Speaking of noise, the RPHA 90 was tested with the Cardo the SmartH communication system, but can accept virtually any communicator out there. While I haven’t personally tested this claim, I don’t see any reason why this can’t be true.

The visor latch mechanism is strong and sturdy, just terribly placed. Accessing it with gloved hands takes some fumbling around.

Of course, the real highlight of modular helmets is the ability to lift the chin bar up when you need. Here, the RPHA 90 operates like any other modular. Pulling a red tab at the bottom of the chin bar releases it to flip up, and it slides up or down smoothly. It positively clicks into place at the top, while an audible (and tactile) click at the bottom ensures it’s closed. Almost every time I came to a stop I found myself opening the chin bar instead of flipping the visor open for a couple reasons: First, the added air flow is nice, but second – the latch to open the quick-change, tool-less shield is located directly above the chin vent, making it difficult and annoying to open, especially with gloves on. This is a trait of all RPHA helmets in HJC’s lineup, and one I personally don’t like.

And honestly, that’s my biggest complaint about the RPHA 90. It’s already my go-to lid for normal everyday riding, but adding a smidge more wind protection underneath and relocating the visor latch would make it that much better. Available in XS-2XL, it comes in solid colors and various graphics. Click the shop link below to see them.

HJC RPHA 90 + Pros</p>
  • Very comfortable (if you have an intermediate oval head), even with the chin bar down
  • Doesn’t look like a modular helmet
  • Remarkably light for a flip-up
– Cons</p>
  • The faceshield latch is ill-placed and tricky to operate with gloved hands
  • Wouldn’t mind a little more wind protection from the chin curtain
  • That’s about it, really.
FAQ

What does RPHA stand for in HJC helmets?

Revolutionary Performance Helmet Advanced. The RPHA lineup of helmets in HJC’s catalog indicates the company’s premier line of helmets. These helmets feature HJC’s Premium Integrated Matrix Plus (PIM+) construction for an extremely lightweight shell, and superior aerodynamics and comfort. RPHA models showcase HJC’s technical capabilities and innovations such as our advanced ventilation channeling system and our unique composite shell designs. RPHA is the highest level HJC has. Don’t be mistaken, though – all of HJC’s helmets are required to meet a minimum safety standard.

Are HJC helmets good?

As the largest helmet manufacturer in the world by volume, HJC knows a thing or two about helmets. Obviously, no helmet can protect you from every scenario, but there’s no reason to think HJC will protect you any less than other brands. HJC has been in business since 1971, exclusively producing helmets. You can find HJC helmets on the heads of several top-level racers all over the world, including MotoGP. This feedback from top riders, combined with HJC’s own research across its offices in Europe, Asia, and the USA have led to top helmets riders trust. Manufacturing facilities in Vietnam and Korea enable it to be priced very competitively.

What is the best modular motorcycle helmet?

As with any helmet, the “best” one is the helmet that fits your head comfortably and meets all the required safety standards. A helmet claiming to have all the best specifications in the world doesn’t mean a thing if you don’t like the way it fits on your head.**

HJC RPHA 90 Specifications Price $459.99-$809.95 Sizes XS-2XL Weight 3 lbs, 10 oz. (Medium) Colors Semi Flat White, Pearl White, Black, Semi Flat Black, Semi Flat Titanium, Semi Flat Anthracite, Bekavo MC1, Bekavo MC3H, Bekavo MC6HSF Additional Resources

HJC CL-Y Youth Helmet Review

HJC RPHA 11 PRO Helmet Review

HJC RPHA MAX Modular Helmet Review, Take 2!

HJC CS-R3 Helmet Review

MO Tested: HJC IS-MAX II Modular Helmet

HJC IS-17 Helmet Review

HJC FS-15 Helmet Review

We are committed to finding, researching, and recommending the best products. We earn commissions from purchases you make using the retail links in our product reviews. Learn more about how this works.

Become a Motorcycle.com insider. Get the latest motorcycle news first by subscribing to our newsletter here.

The post MO Tested: HJC RPHA 90 Helmet Review appeared first on Motorcycle.com.

Click here for full story...