ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 13th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Bike won't start suddenly.

It was only sitting a week with no starting problems of late. Bike was running well of late.

The only thing I can think of is that while lubing my chain, I twisted the idle knob quite a few turns. Just a dumbazz move on my part. (Didn't know that was the idle control)

Is it possible I cut off the fuel to the motor?

I've tried toying with the knob and trying to give it a start for short spurts, but I don't want to drain my battery until I get some advice.

It seems the motor isn't getting fuel. The starter seems like it's running fine. Motor sounds like it's turning over.

A sidenote: The bike had very slight starting problems over the summer, until I ran a tank of seafoam, and was fine after that. I'm assuming it was slightly dirty carbs. After that seafoam, no problems.
dsuchmiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
That's with full choke, right? I'd try manually opening the throttle slightly as you are cranking.

If you haven't gassed-up lately, you may be completely on summer-blend, which will make cold starts more difficult. If the level in the tank has been low, you may also have some condensation in the fuel.

Charge the battery so you will have time to try a few different things.

Once it's running you may need to make some adjustments to the idle mixture (if you've removed the caps). In cold weather, settings that were on the lean side in 80 degree weather will be significantly leaner, so richening the mixture is required. You'll also want to make sure the idle speed is set around 1300.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM   #3
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
That's with full choke, right? I'd try manually opening the throttle slightly as you are cranking.

If you haven't gassed-up lately, you may be completely on summer-blend, which will make cold starts more difficult. If the level in the tank has been low, you may also have some condensation in the fuel.

Charge the battery so you will have time to try a few different things.

Once it's running you may need to make some adjustments to the idle mixture (if you've removed the caps). In cold weather, settings that were on the lean side in 80 degree weather will be significantly leaner, so richening the mixture is required. You'll also want to make sure the idle speed is set around 1300.
Usually at half choke. I tried with no choke and full choke a couple of times.

Fuel should be good. Pretty fresh, and mostly full tank.

Is it possible the idle control is out of spec now? When I was toying with it, i turned it clockwise until I met resistance. And then turned it left several turns (didn't encounter any resistance). Now I've got it just about 3 counterclockwise turns from the resistance you encounter when turning it clockwise.

The battery is on a tender.

Thanks. You guys are quick.

Old November 13th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #4
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
your idle is all messed up. try starting it with just a little bit of throttle

you can take the side panel off and look at where the idle screw pushes on the rotating butterfly part... adjust it until its just moving the drum and then try starting it... ajdust until it stays running... then warm it up and adjust it down to 1500ish after its plenty warm.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 13th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

try starting it slowly.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #6
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Yeah what alex s. said you need to make sure the idle screw is moving the butterfly valves just a little as if you where cracking open the throttle a hair(that's basically what it's doing). once you get it started then you'll have something to adjust it to. If you bike normally needed choke then do the same thing.

I'm not sure why you would be touching you idle screw but since you did you have me worried a bit. I hope you didn't do anything else funny like accidentally catch a vacuum hose and pull it loose.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #7
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
your idle is all messed up. try starting it with just a little bit of throttle

you can take the side panel off and look at where the idle screw pushes on the rotating butterfly part... adjust it until its just moving the drum and then try starting it... ajdust until it stays running... then warm it up and adjust it down to 1500ish after its plenty warm.
I tried to start it yesterday with throttle and got a backfire. Didn't try anything else yesterday.

I'm going to try again tonight. I don't really see an idle screw. It's more of a knob connected to a flexible line that runs through a hose and ends up somewhere under the carbs.

But I'm going to try everything you said tonight.

Old November 14th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #8
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Yeah what alex s. said you need to make sure the idle screw is moving the butterfly valves just a little as if you where cracking open the throttle a hair(that's basically what it's doing). once you get it started then you'll have something to adjust it to. If you bike normally needed choke then do the same thing.

I'm not sure why you would be touching you idle screw but since you did you have me worried a bit. I hope you didn't do anything else funny like accidentally catch a vacuum hose and pull it loose.
I did pull on the knob a bit. Hopefully nothing vacuum related. I didn't snoop around under the carbs where the hoses are at all.

But I'll try tonight. Thanks for all the responses. You guys are really helpful.

Old November 14th, 2013, 01:49 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsuchmiel View Post
I tried to start it yesterday with throttle and got a backfire. Didn't try anything else yesterday.

I'm going to try again tonight. I don't really see an idle screw. It's more of a knob connected to a flexible line that runs through a hose and ends up somewhere under the carbs.

But I'm going to try everything you said tonight.
the nob connects to the flexible line inside the hose, the flexible line goes up to a screw on the carbs between the two. that screw goes in and out and controls the "minimum" throttle. its hard to see.

Old November 14th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the nob connects to the flexible line inside the hose, the flexible line goes up to a screw on the carbs between the two. that screw goes in and out and controls the "minimum" throttle. its hard to see.

Quote:
.........I twisted the idle knob quite a few turns.........(Didn't know that was the idle control).........
Do you know all the other controls and how to use them?

Do you feel ready to ride that bike?

Have you received any proper instruction about riding in general? ..... MSF course maybe?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
oops. the 250 carbs have the drum all the way on the far side. i was picturing my yamaha carbs... they are split down the center.

Old November 15th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #12
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Do you know all the other controls and how to use them?

Do you feel ready to ride that bike?

Have you received any proper instruction about riding in general? ..... MSF course maybe?
Yes, I took the msf beginners and have been riding for two years.

Just wasn't thinking when I turned that line. Simple as that.

Old November 15th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #13
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Anyhow, after some snooping around yesterday, I noticed the screw that connects to the "butterfly" part which puts tension on the throttle cable came out of the thread completely.

So basically, I had no fuel flow to the engine, right?

I was able to get that screw back in, and adjust the idle knob to the point where a little tension moves the throttle line.

The bike still didn't start after about 5 short attempts with some choke.

Is it starved of fuel, and needs some cranking with choke and throttle?

Asking so I don't flood the motor and/or drain my battery.

Old November 15th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Yes, I took the msf beginners and have been riding for two years.

Just wasn't thinking when I turned that line. Simple as that.
OK, sorry for asking, ....... safer to assume the worse scenario with new members.

Are you sure that the whole refusal to start up began with the manipulation of that knob?

Maybe a rain-over, drop, contaminated gasoline, new fuel filter, any modification, etc.?

My second silly question, yes, but the thing is that that knob alone should not have made a significant change in behavior, specially if you crack the throttle open at start-up.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #15
dsuchmiel
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
OK, sorry for asking, ....... safer to assume the worse scenario with new members.

Are you sure that the whole refusal to start up began with the manipulation of that knob?

Maybe a rain-over, drop, contaminated gasoline, new fuel filter, any modification, etc.?

My second silly question, yes, but the thing is that that knob alone should not have made a significant change in behavior, specially if you crack the throttle open at start-up.
Yes, now I'm pretty sure, because the bike starts now after rethreading the screw into the throttle bracket.

Just took some cranking and throttle. It was blowing moderate smoke while warming up. (Assuming that was excess fuel being burned off?)

The issue was that the knob was disconnected leaving no tension on the throttle cable. I basically ran the carbs dry while trying to repeatedly satrt the motor, right?

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. That's the last time I start grabbing at things without thinking.