ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Triumph 675- 1993 Ex250

Starter issues- With cafe racer teaser pics...

So I just finished rebuilding my 1993 ex250 and turned it into a custom cafe racer. With some ideas from this forum.Chopped the frame, remade the set and upholstered it with naugahyde, handmade a rear cowl, fabricated a battery box and a lot more. I just have to get it started, then I have to do a few more things and I am done. I need to rejet the carbs, install/wire the rear turn signals, wire the front turn signals and I am done.

Before I started this build the bike would start. Now that I am almost done its time to start her up. I am about to start it and the starter cranks for 5 seconds and then it stops cranking. That was a week ago and it can't get the starter to work again. Below is what I have checked.

Fuses are good. I checked visually and then I replaced every fuse with a new one to test it.
Battery is at 12.4v and doesn't drop when trying to start.
I bypassed the kickstand switch and the clutch switch even though they were working. Verified with tester.
All the switches on the right handlebar have power.
Power is getting to starter relay from battery but doesn't go past the relay. The 3 wires that go to the starter relay have power.
30A fuse on starter has power on both posts and I also replaced the fuse to be sure.
Every wire has power going to the fusebox
Every wire has power going to ignition box.
I cleaned the ground from the battery negative to the engine.
All the wires on the key have power when turn on.
Starter relay doesn't click or make any sound.

I jumped the starter relay and the starter works. So the starter isn't the problem. So its obvious the starter relay is bad...right? Well I replaced that with a new one and there is no change. I would think it would be highly unusual that the new starter would be defective but I am unsure now. Its really odd that the relay has power from the battery (+) and the three wires that connect to the relay have power as well. I must be missing something. Should one of those wires be the ground and shouldn't have power?

Anyway here is a sneak peak of the bike but will post pictures of the complete build when its done in a week or so depending on getting it started.

triumphtriple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2013, 04:13 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you said it yourself. it worked for 5 seconds and then stopped working.

you tracked it correctly to the starter relay

where did you get the new starter relay? test the starter relay manually... put power on it, do you hear it click? it sounds like your replacement relay is busted.

Old November 21st, 2013, 04:28 PM   #3
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Thats what I thought. There isn't a click at all.

This is the replacement I bought. Of course the one review that rated it said theirs was defective. Where can I find the best quality one? Is there a better one that is compatible?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old November 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Is your push start button actually switching? That would need to happen prior to the solenoid clicking if I am not mistaken.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Is your push start button actually switching?
Both wires have power when the button is or isn't pressed. Which doesn't make sense. One wire shouldn't have power unless the switch is pressed right?

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
Lychee
sail away

Not sure how you are checking for power, but there should not be voltage throughput unless the circuit is completely closed. That would require the start button to be pressed and the kill switch set to run. Perhaps you are checking for amps at the kill switch wires by accident? The wires to the push start should be red and black/ red stripe.

Instead of voltage testing, try a continuity test. Disconnect the battery and the plug connecting the push start button to the harness. Then check for continuity between the two terminals. There should be none unless the switch is depressed.

Old November 21st, 2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Lychee
sail away

shouldn't there be 4 wires coming out of the starter solenoid? The black with yellow stripe should be the ground.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
shouldn't there be 4 wires coming out of the starter solenoid? The black with yellow stripe should be the ground.
I am going to rip into it tonight. Luckily I have a plotter so I printed up a 36"x24" wiring diagram.
Also, I only have the 3 wires that connect to the starter, plus the 2 that connect to the posts. Its the same as the diagram.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Lychee
sail away

http://faq.ninja250.org/images/a/a7/..._Schematic.pdf

Schematic shows four. Odd. Take a picture if you can. Maybe one wire is very short. Solendoids use one complete circuit to flip a switch that completes another circuit. Two circuits, both have an power wire and a ground wire. Four total. Maybe I am missing something. I will check my bike when I get home.

Did you check the push start button switch?

Old November 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM   #10
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Well I got it fixed. The ground wire that goes to the starter wasn't grounded properly. It was connected but the inside of the wire was corroded. I replaced the wire and it started up.

Thanks for the advice. I should be able to take it down my street tomorrow to start jetting the carbs. I will have my seat should be done at the upholster and day now. I am waiting for the aftermarket tach and speed to come in the mail now. Happy to be almost done.