ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:08 PM   #1
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Name: Logan

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Vulcan 800 Classic and 2005 KX250F

CBR250r ??

Wrong forum I know but I need to make sure that I get the best bike for my money being 17 and it coming out of my pocket. Has anyone ridden one? How does it feel? I wouldn't even consider it if it weren't for the fuel injection on the Hondette (think it will catch on?)
1994juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
best bike for your money? buy a used ninja 250. save a butt load. ride a lot
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:48 PM   #3
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

the CBR tops out at 10+ mph less then the ninja

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM   #4
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5.0 View Post
the CBR tops out at 10+ mph less then the ninja
I'm not too worried about top speed because I don't plan on using it. To me low end torque is more important because it will be used for city commuting with no highways.

Old February 21st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #5
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994juggernaut View Post
I'm not too worried about top speed because I don't plan on using it. To me low end torque is more important because it will be used for city commuting with no highways.

you said u wanted efi....from what i heard there is a $500 plug and play efi kit for our bikes... idk the cbr isnt as sexy as the ninja

Old February 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Red CBR250R 2009 Ninja 250r SE(With 2008 Fairings)(sold)

Looks preference comes down to the individual. I did prefer the look of my ninja, but i have gotten used to the CBR and people give me lots of compliments on it.

As a first bike, a used bike is the way to go. The used market for CBR250s isn't really there yet. Most people here will suggest a used bike for your first. I agree with this.

I do find the CBR better for commuting, especially in the city, but the used market and online community makes the Ninja a great choice for a first bike. As a new rider, learning to ride and being safe is important.
etiainen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM   #7
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

I also noticed there is like no aftermarket support for the honda.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM   #8
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I vote for the Ninja 250 but that's just personal preference. The CBR could be just as comfortable as the Ninja, and from what I've read, it's not bad at all but to me, it's ugly. If you're considering going new, I wouldn't spend the money on something I didn't like but you might find it appealing. If you're mechanically inclined and like to work on your rides, could always convert the Ninja to fuel injected if it mattered that much to you.

Keep in mind, I don't ride yet. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you as far as planning that first bike purchase but I've already done my research and imo, the Ninja is a helluva bike, great for beginners.

Also: Might be something of note that you came to a Ninja 250 site to ask this question....shows the Kawasaki community is there. Not sure about Honda.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

To me both of the bikes look good. The biggest thing is the EFI (been riding dirt bikes for ages and EFI is a biggy out in the desert). I've looked around and can find a new gen ninja for 30-3500 used but I would have to buy the CBR new (no used CBRs in my area.) If yall dont thing the EFI is worth the extra 1500 then I'll probably go with the Ninja.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

you are 17...but a pregen ninja as you will most likely drop it at least once. cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure...especially for a 17year old. And yes, despite what everyone here will tell you, some day you might want to get a bigger bike. They hold resale value fairly well so you can sell if need be. Go and buy a new Hondette, or ninjette new and the price drops like a rock right out the door. $1k almost immediately.

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:53 PM   #11
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

Quote:
Hondette (think it will catch on?)
No
saxnbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:57 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
To me both of the bikes look good. The biggest thing is the EFI (been riding dirt bikes for ages and EFI is a biggy out in the desert). I've looked around and can find a new gen ninja for 30-3500 used but I would have to buy the CBR new (no used CBRs in my area.) If yall dont thing the EFI is worth the extra 1500 then I'll probably go with the Ninja.
You can put an EFI system onto the Ninja for $500-$800. It's also better EFI than the CBR since it can self tune
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 07:58 PM   #13
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

I find the CBR more comfortable on longer trips, > 200 miles I mean. It vibrates less at highway speeds and the stock seat is comfier, however a Corbin can correct that.

How much EFI matters is up to you. As a new rider once the thing is warmed up, I doubt you'll care. I do agree with the pregen idea as you'll save a lot of money(something I barely have now and especially at 17)

Yes, the Honda has little aftermarket stuff, but it's a brand new bike, so that's not really a surprise. It does have slips ons, etc, as that seems to be what most people want, but even though I was an accessories whore on the Ninja(Corbin, Ignitor, Water Temp Gauge/Clock), I am more than pleased with the stock CBR. It fits MY needs. If you're looking into a lot of community support, speed, and aftermarket parts, go for the ninja.

I do think pregens are ugly tho I probably will still end up getting one to fix up/play with. I may not have a Ninja anymore, but they are still awesome beginner bikes, and the community makes it even better, especially as a beginner.

Yes, there are forums for the CBR, and some community support. But I'm still here also, why? Well I find there are just more people here and a lot of more experienced riders with good advice. Also, it's just fun to read stuff here

EFI is nice, but money is important too. I love having EFI, but like I said, I ride everyday, and I found it to be worth it in my case, especially in the winter, as I haven't exactly stopped riding in freezing temps. Lol

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:00 PM   #14
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasle View Post
you are 17...but a pregen ninja as you will most likely drop it at least once. cheaper to buy, cheaper to insure...especially for a 17year old. And yes, despite what everyone here will tell you, some day you might want to get a bigger bike. They hold resale value fairly well so you can sell if need be. Go and buy a new Hondette, or ninjette new and the price drops like a rock right out the door. $1k almost immediately.
People are selling used CBRs for quite a lot, or at least demanding a lot. The lack of a used market makes that somewhat easy.

I'd still buy a CBR new over used, and a Ninja used over new.

Oh wait..that's what I did...maybe I'm a little biased

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Gotta second the recommendations on buying a used pregen Ninja. Outstanding bike for very little money if you are a good shopper. I have ridden mc's for 45 years and only bought one new MC. Even that was a 2 year holdover that had the selling price drop from $2900 down to $1150. This was in 1984 when there was a huge downturn in motorcycle sales so dealers still had new bikes unsold after 2 years. If you like the Honda CBR250 wait a bit and start looking for a used one , they will still start showing up.
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

They will, I have seen some in my area, but the prices are pretty high now due to the lack of availability. You only save in some fees in reality. Wasn't worth the difference for me.

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:30 PM   #17
SlowBoyRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): ZX6-R and etc.

You asked it, and I am sure it was obvious that most of us were going to say Ninjette
SlowBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:29 PM   #18
Enfemus
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r Blue

When I first purchased my bike last summer I did a lot of research between the CBR and Ninja. Ultimately went with the Ninja due to how long Kawi has been in the 250 market with the Ninja, the crap ton of aftermarket parts, the sexyness of the ninja, and the shiny shiny sexy blue.
Enfemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM   #19
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Considering the list of purposes you want the bike for and your age, any of the three choices; pre-gen, new-gen, or CBR, will do you just fine. I believe the decision really comes down to money.

If I were to assume you are a typical teenager who has a part-time job at the most with little support from your parents who understandably has no intention of indulging a dangerous hobby(don't let any d-bag tell you otherwise. Motorcycling is inherently dangerous and you are assuming the responsibilities and the consequences of willing putting yourself at a higher risk for injury and death), I would say it's almost a no brainer. Get a used pre-gen. There are tons of mechanically sound pre-gens out there. The upside is that it'll be the cheapest out of the three. As long as you take care of it, you'll sell it in a few years with little loss. It'll be cheap to fix, maintain, and insure with great gas mileage. Only downside is looks and the front tire which leaves you with very little choice of rubber due to its size.

If you are truly financially secure enough for the other bikes, it's a toss-up. I would still recommend getting a used, but you may not have that choice with the Honda. Both bikes are excellent from what I read and we've even had a couple converts from the new-gen to CBR. The CBR will get better gas mileage in general, but it's not a huge difference between the two bikes. You should also know that gas mileage comes down to how the rider is on the throttle than the bikes themselves. Go to a dealership and feel out the riding position of both bikes. I don't think the technical differences of the three bikes are significant enough to devote too much time thinking about. I think you'll find all three bikes to be fun, dependable first bike. Or not. Then you'll get another bike, then another, then another. The average motorcyclist change his or her bike every few years. You've already exercised better decision than a significant number of first time riders by choosing to go with a 250cc.

Two other things I feel are actually more important than the topic of this thread; get good gear and exercise ATGATT, and take the MSF class.

Good luck on bike hunting and welcome to street-riding.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM   #20
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

17 y-o, pedal a bike, get a few thousand miles on public roads before you operate any motorized vehicle, preferably something with metal surrounding you as an operator, so you can survive through a few mistakes or mishaps with stupid drivers on the road.
If you survive after a few years of driving without incidents, pay for your own insurance, then start to look for a used pre-gen Ninja.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM   #21
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
17 y-o, pedal a bike, get a few thousand miles on public roads before you operate any motorized vehicle, preferably something with metal surrounding you as an operator, so you can survive through a few mistakes or mishaps with stupid drivers on the road.
I started on a road bike the summer before my freshman year of HS, got my temps summer before sophomore year, drivers license sophomore year, and then motorcycle right after junior year ended. The bicycle gave me a respect for the traffic and the need to be visible, which really helped with the driving, and then the riding.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:06 PM   #22
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

I have the money for a new Honda+gear+insurance so money's not the issue. It seems that the Ninja is more than suitable for what I need so I'll robably get that. Not sure if I'm gonna get a pregen though because I really like the styling of the new one.

As for the MSF I was already planning to take it since I 'm from California and it's required. When it comes to gear I'm not sure if it will be ATGATT for me it will probably only be MTGATT. Planning on a helmet, gloves, jacket, and boots but not pants. The bike will just be used for school and it's only 10 miles away all on 25mph residential streets.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:07 PM   #23
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you survive after a few years of driving without incidents, pay for your own insurance, then start to look for a used pre-gen Ninja.
I almost went this route then thought I couldn't possibly convince the OP to turn away when his friends and loved one must surely have tried. How does one go about convincing a teenager that his or her brain is physically underdeveloped and is more likely to take unnecessary risks and make poor decisions on the road and that these two factors are the quickest way for one to get killed on a motorcycle, when this thought process itself requires good judgement? It is his parents' responsibility and ultimately his life in his hands.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:29 PM   #24
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I have the money for a new Honda+gear+insurance so money's not the issue. It seems that the Ninja is more than suitable for what I need so I'll robably get that. Not sure if I'm gonna get a pregen though because I really like the styling of the new one.
you're never going to see the whole bike at once when you're riding it. And what's more fun, riding a motorcycle, or just staring at a sexy new 250R?

If money isn't the issue, Pregen. new-gen 250 triples/WC clipons/forks/swingarm/shock/dogbones/wheels swapover. EFI kit. Dyno tune it. Track day. boom. best of all the worlds. easy maintenance, better suspension and brakes, fuel injetction, better tire selection etc etc. Rearsets and one of those huggers from sportisi and a newgen front fender to go on those forks, and call it done. Same money as the new CBR, but totally unique ride. Heck, you could even get one of the 4.5" wide rear rims from sportisi for it at the same time

Quote:
The bike will just be used for school and it's only 10 miles away all on 25mph residential streets.
Most of accidents occur close to home at under 35 mph. Read through the manual given by MSF or your local BMV

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:34 PM   #25
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post

Most of accidents occur close to home at under 35 mph. Read through the manual given by MSF or your local BMV
Not saying I'll have less chance of an accident just a less harmful one. No one can possibly say that a 25mph lowside is just as dangerous as an 80mph lowside.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:37 PM   #26
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...but you can still die from an impact with a car at 25 mph.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM   #27
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...but you can still die from an impact with a car at 25 mph.
In such a situation I don't think pants will make much of a difference.

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:47 PM   #28
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

totally off topic here Juggernaut but our ride thread for this coming Sunday has you listed as attending and yet you don't have a bike? How does that work out?

Not that I don't want you there, we love riding with new guys, I'm just a little confused is all.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 10:55 PM   #29
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...pants? I never critiqued your choice to not buy pants. I don't have protective pants either. That would be hypocritical of me to judge you on that.

My point was to not assume that you're safe just because you'll be riding mostly on one 10 mile route to school. Most accidents happen close to home, at normal traffic speeds, and many are caused by drivers not seeing motorcyclists when they make turns at intersections or pull out of driveways. Neighborhoods are full of both.

From one teenager to another here: don't kid yourself, a motorcycle is inherently more dangerous than a car, no matter how you ride it, or where you ride it. I came to that realization when I was on a bicycle as a 14 year old, and it was re-affirmed when I bought my ninja. Not to mention, come on, you're in California. You're in some of the most beautiful riding area in the country, and you're trying to tell us that a sport bike is only going to get used for commuting in residential neighborhoods? Please. Be a little more realistic here.

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:09 PM   #30
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Chris,

I just assumed it was a response to the fact that I was going to wear all the gear but pants.

Trust me I never thought that I would be safe because it's all residential I was just defending the whole no pants idea because any sliding caused from a crash would be lower speed.

I guess you're right I actually have a road in mind that I would love to ride on. But the problem is that I can't get the true license in California until after I'm moving to vegas so I might not be able to ride it.

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:13 PM   #31
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
totally off topic here Juggernaut but our ride thread for this coming Sunday has you listed as attending and yet you don't have a bike? How does that work out?

Not that I don't want you there, we love riding with new guys, I'm just a little confused is all.
Sorry about that I was just interested in seeing the usual turnout for a socal group ride and couldn't view the poll without entering. Didn't know that it kept a record of who "signed up". Next time I'll stay out of polls that I can't even go to. Yeah I can imagine how odd that would be. I suppose I could follow along in my truck (not that you need anymore cagers on the road)

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:18 PM   #32
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Chris,

I just assumed it was a response to the fact that I was going to wear all the gear but pants.

Trust me I never thought that I would be safe because it's all residential I was just defending the whole no pants idea because any sliding caused from a crash would be lower speed.

I guess you're right I actually have a road in mind that I would love to ride on. But the problem is that I can't get the true license in California until after I'm moving to vegas so I might not be able to ride it.
They have some beautiful curvy roads out there too. This is before I started riding, and I recall telling my girlfriend's dad that he should've brought his Acura TL on the family vacation. This was by Red Rock.

Old February 21st, 2012, 11:24 PM   #33
1994juggernaut
ninjette.org member

Yeah I've heard of some but the one in Cali that I'm talking about has a cool interracial (sport and cruiser) biker bar at the top.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM   #34
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
@1994juggernaut: is F.I. that important to you? Most the ninjettes on this forum don't have FI and they seem to get along just fine. Once people have figured out how to efficiently warm the carb'd bike up, they seem to have no issues. My ninjette is F.I. Funny enough the FI system failed during winter and it meant I couldn't start the bike. If I had a carb ninjette I wouldn't have had that problem. So there are advantages and disadvantages to both F.I. and Carb bikes it seems. I rode a carb bike when I was first learning to ride and didn't have any problems with it. Maybe the reasons for getting an F.I. mx bike for use in the desert don't apply equally to a motorcycle for riding on the road?

I also think you should go see all 3 bikes (pre-gen, new-gen & cbr) in person, sit on them and get a feel for them. Your instincts will probably tell you straight away which one you want.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:41 AM   #35
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

and oh, whatever you decide to buy, don't let your friends test ride it. Don't give in!
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:29 AM   #36
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I'd probably go with the CBR if I KNEW I wasn't going to touch the highway. But as it is, you have to ring the ninjette out pretty hard on the highway I'd hate to imagine the CBR.

The carbs can get annoying if your commuting to and from school like I do. It sucks leaving class and having to let the bike warm up well all the guys with FI bikes just take off. If you only leave the bike for a couple of hours you won't have to deal with that though.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:25 AM   #37
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
I'd probably go with the CBR if I KNEW I wasn't going to touch the highway. But as it is, you have to ring the ninjette out pretty hard on the highway I'd hate to imagine the CBR.

The carbs can get annoying if your commuting to and from school like I do. It sucks leaving class and having to let the bike warm up well all the guys with FI bikes just take off. If you only leave the bike for a couple of hours you won't have to deal with that though.

From what I've learned on this forum, the proper way to warm up your bike is with the choke on enough so that you can ride until it's warmed up and doesn't need it. Shouldn't have to be sitting there, waiting for anything.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM   #38
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Lol I went with this route, regardless if I wanted to or not, no money for motorcycles

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:01 AM   #39
etiainen
CBR250R Traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post

Don't let it sit there and warm up

The CBR is more than capable on the highway. Just rode 300 miles of interstate last weekend with little issue.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 09:54 AM   #40
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Not letting it warm up works great until you pull in front of a car going 60 and the bike bogs.

Didn't say the cbr isn't capable. It's just that unless I'm going at least 80 I don't feel comfortable on the tollways around Chicago.

Btw, I really do like the cbr. I'd have got one if I didnt find my bike with 500 miles on it for 3k.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote