Notices

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:28 AM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Advanced Rider Courses? MSF or others?

I looked for the MSF Advanced Rider course but there is nothing offered in my area (Pittsburgh PA) in the foreseeable future.

Does anyone know of another organization that offers classes that focus on things like emergency braking, swerving, tight maneuvers (U-turns, etc)? I've been riding for 4 years and just want to sharpen my slow-speed skills while someone yells at me to turn my head.

Any other companies/groups I can try? Otherwise, I'll just go find a parking lot and set up some cones.. but I'd like some instruction.

Thanks!
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:30 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Look for a Lee Parks Total Control clinic in your area.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Thanks. I found ProRider and their courses look great but they are all sold out for this summer.

Old May 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
What Mr. Fist said is a great option.

Although it's a longer drive, Mid-Ohio is working up a more intense program as well. Some slow speed drills along with some cornering techniques. It should be launching soon. It takes place on the tracks autocross course (pictured below). The pic does not show the painted candy striping and cone layout for the course.

Depending on the schedule of your class, a fresh, brand new ninja 300 should be provided as part of the course. I will provide more details as they become available.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I'm not so much interested in riding at a track. I'm looking for more "gymkhana" style techniques rather than cornering or track-oriented riding.

Trying to get a group together to do a ProRider class.

Mid Ohio is too far. I would have to ride to the event and I'm on a KLX250 supermoto.

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

I see Katie, not really sure if there is any difference between a parking lot at a track vs anywhere else though. Should be better, you actually have all the facilities of the track available. Want a shower after the event... they got that. So you're worrying about riding a sumo a larger distance? Don't... take the cage because a bike is waiting for you there. bla bla bla

But yea, the mid-o program is more cornering oriented vs gymkhana style. I am sure the target market is riders that want a stepping stone between the BRC (MSF) and a full blown track day.

It's perfectly fine if it doesn't meet your needs or goals, I understand and support ya all the way.

Old May 18th, 2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I see Katie, not really sure if there is any difference between a parking lot at a track vs anywhere else though. Should be better, you actually have all the facilities of the track available. Want a shower after the event... they got that. So you're worrying about riding a sumo a larger distance? Don't... take the cage because a bike is waiting for you there. bla bla bla

But yea, the mid-o program is more cornering oriented vs gymkhana style. I am sure the target market is riders that want a stepping stone between the BRC (MSF) and a full blown track day.

It's perfectly fine if it doesn't meet your needs or goals, I understand and support ya all the way.
I'd definitely rather ride my own bike but if I enjoy this class and somehow end up with money for more, I'd consider something like that!

I found a ProRider class by emailing the company and seeing if they had classes that weren't listed on my website. Haven't officially signed up yet but I'm looking forward to it

Old May 18th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #8
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

Quote:
What Mr. Fist said is a great option.

Although it's a longer drive, Mid-Ohio is working up a more intense program as well. Some slow speed drills along with some cornering techniques. It should be launching soon. It takes place on the tracks autocross course (pictured below). The pic does not show the painted candy striping and cone layout for the course.

Depending on the schedule of your class, a fresh, brand new ninja 300 should be provided as part of the course. I will provide more details as they become available.

I am very interested it this class at Mid -O , Please let us know when it is ready .
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #9
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Check with police departments around your area. A couple of them here in Los Angeles offered clinics on slow-speed maneuvers.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:44 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny View Post
I am very interested it this class at Mid -O , Please let us know when it is ready .
Will be going to Mid-O tomorrow. I will get the update about this course and let ya know what I find out.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:47 AM   #11
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Will be going to Mid-O tomorrow. I will get the update about this course and let ya know what I find out.
Thanks!

I'm signed up for the Pro Rider precision skills class, in the meantime.

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:49 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Awesome Katie, would you please do up a review so we all can gain some insight?

Enjoy the course!

Old June 3rd, 2017, 09:50 AM   #13
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Sure thing!

Old July 1st, 2017, 06:09 PM   #14
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
this was awesome. I had a great time. it was 8 hours of solid riding except for a break for lunch which one of the class members bought for everyone!

we started off with going over a 2x4 and I was like oh god .. and then we did some weaving through cones using the friction zone... and more cones.. and we did some 24ft circles.. and some 18ft circles.. and both together, and then we did some braking from 30mph, and some swerve tactics, and then more cones, and more and more and more cones. I personally loved it. they basically had to tell me "we're done now, stop riding"

I would highly recommend this group. idk if they are national or what. but the cops who taught it here were super chill and it really did seem like everyone was there to get a better handle on their bikes.

I was the ONLY one on a japanese bike and the only one with a bike under 900cc. we had 7 harleys, a ducati, a moto guzzi and me. everyone was like what is that bike and who are you. lol.

I should have a couple videos and more pics to post soon (one of the guys wife took a ton of pics of everyone and another classmate took videos of everyone and said they will send/post them and we can use the high res files for whatever we want!)

oh yeah and I really feel like my slow speed/U turn skills greatly improved as well as feeling comfortable letting the bike lean over without leaning with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19554818_682905691899657_3621786327907155194_n.jpg (142.5 KB, 6 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2017, 08:39 PM   #15
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sounds like the class some of us took through a local police department. We didn't go over a 2x4, but we did lots of cone patterns, u-turns, weaves, and the like. Lots of different makes of bikes.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 09:55 AM   #16
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
New thread? I am interested too.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 10:36 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
everyone was like what is that bike and who are you. lol.
I can imagine. If they've never been around a supermoto before, it's quite a shock to see what they can do. A favorite Dragon photo of mine, not me, a regular on that road:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fast_turn.jpg (35.7 KB, 2 views)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
another pic. hopefully they will post the whole album. it's really enlightening to watch yourself ride. sometimes not in such a great way haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (105.1 KB, 4 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.