ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 16th, 2015, 05:22 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - New TomTom Rider motorcycle GPS

TOMTOM has announced a new motorcycle GPS system arriving in April this year.

The 2015 TomTom Rider has been completely redesigned from last year’s model and offers real-time traffic information, a glove-friendly interactive screen, a Bluetooth enabled audio instructions which can be delivered to the helmet or a headset.

A rotating mount allows riders to switch to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.

The new model also has a feature that allows you to select an area on the map and the device will plot the most exciting and windy round-trip.

Corinne Vigreux, co-founder and managing director of TomTom Consumer, said: ‘We have designed TomTom Rider to give bikers more ways to create and discover exciting routes. From the freedom of cruising the open road, to the thrill of leaning into the tightest curve on the highest peak, with RIDER, bikers can create and ride their own perfect adventure.’

The new TomTom Rider includes a number of features designed specifically for motorcyclists:
  • Winding Roads: Find the most exciting winding roads and avoid the boring straights.
  • Hilly Roads: Stay at sea level or climb the highest peaks.
  • Round-trip Planning: Simply select where you want to ride and TomTom Rider will find the most exciting route.
  • Portrait View: Simple rotate to portrait view to see more of the bends ahead.
  • PC Route Planning: Pre-plan a touring adventure before leaving home.
  • Route Sharing: Share a route with other bikers before setting off or after you return home.
  • Lifetime TomTom Traffic: Ride with real-time traffic information for the lifetime of the device.
  • Audio Instructions via Bluetooth: Keep your eyes on the road with audio instructions delivered through your headset.
  • Track Support: Upload tracks (GPX format) and your TomTom Rider will show you the way.
  • Hands-free Calling: Call hands-free while you ride.
  • Weather-proof Design: As weather ready as you are.
  • Glove-friendly Screen: Use your TomTom Rider even while wearing gloves.
  • Sunlight Visibility: Make use of different colour options for different times of day.
  • Trip Recording: Record your trip and relive the adventure any time.
  • Trip Statistics: See how far, how fast and for how long you have ridden.
  • Fully Interactive Screen: Pinch, zoom and swipe to interact with the map.
Find out more information
  • Sign up for Visordown's weekly newsletter, Bugsplat, to get the best motorcycle news, road tests and features plus exclusive competitions and offers direct to your inbox. Register as a Visordown member here and tick the box for Bugsplat in your newsletter settings here.
Related Content

Honda’s smartphone anti-congestion system
Used: Starlane Stealth GPS-3 lap timer review
Continental develops cornering ABS for motorcycles
New: Bluetooth speakers for Piaggio scooters
First Look: BMW Navigator IV GPS

Click here for full story...

Old January 20th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I usually forgo standalone GPS units since I have my phone (and my handy-dandy RAM mount I got for Christmas for the Ninja), but this is intriguing. I really like the ability to choose more- or less-twisty routes and the ability to program in round trips.

Old January 21st, 2015, 07:44 AM   #3
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Money Talks, it depends on the price but it looks really nice. Good to see its actually motorcycle specific.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2015, 11:38 AM   #4
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I'll wait for a phone app that does the same thing. It's all in software, no need to get new hardware to do the same thing.
liberpolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2015, 11:53 AM   #5
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
I'll wait for a phone app that does the same thing. It's all in software, no need to get new hardware to do the same thing.
I'd do the same, but it doesn't exist right now, AFAIK. I'm not sure something even exists in the Google Maps API to determine the number of turns for a given road and distance.

Old January 21st, 2015, 03:01 PM   #6
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Other than finding windy roads for me (and partially the glove-friendliness), my phone already does everything on the list. It looks like a neat gadget, but I doubt it'll be priced anywhere near what I'd want to pay for it (based on the fact that my phone already covers so much of it). I look at Google Maps before and my phone (at stops) during rides to find interesting routes. I'm not sure I want my GPS yelling at me telling me where to go when I'm out cruising around on a fun ride.

I'd personally rather have a small weatherproof, glove-friendly screen permanently mounted to my bike, which linked up with my phone. Make a nice interface for on the bike, and just have it use the brains of the phone I'm carrying anyway.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2015, 03:36 PM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Having a dedicated motorcycle GPS unit is awesome. Vibration resistant, waterproof, and no fiddling with it pulling out of pockets, etc.

That being said, I've not been a fan of anything. Tom Tom that I've seen

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 25th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #8
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

If it's cheaper than that damn Garmin Zumo unit then hell yeah I want one of these
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote