ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Moving on...

So I'm moving on. I posted a FS thread of two of my bicycles.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...752#post450752

The main reason for this is I have a new bicycle on my radar:

Trek Transport

I want something that is not only comfortable (26" wheels), but can also carry a bunch of stuff from the store. I think it will be amazingly useful. The sale of my two bikes will almost cover the cost of the new one. I just wanted something that I could see myself riding for several years, and does more than just carry a few things. The rear rack is rated at 100lbs, while each side rack is rated at 50lbs. I can also get a trailer later on for even more capacity if required.

I'm such a bicycle geek!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I saw the direction you were going with your road bikes. This makes perfect sense. Go for it.

Old March 5th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Dude, have you ever ridden one of those cargo bikes?

Yeah they look cool, but handles like crap.. can you say "wide turn radius"?
My main reason of using a bicycle over a motorcycle is that I can be nimble, zip between cars and hop up and down curbs or stairs, not with a cargo bike. Better off towing a trailer with your current bike.

Last futzed with by "A"; March 6th, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I don't really need nimble. I want useful. We each have reasons for getting the bikes we own. I need something that can carry some good weight without needing a trailer. Sluggish or not, it will be quite useful.

Old March 5th, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
"A"
vampire

I hope you're getting paid to hauling that much weight on a bicycle.

Old March 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
My main reason of using a bicycle over a motorcycle is that I can be numble, zip between cars and hop up and down curbs or stairs, not with a cargo bike. Better off towing a trailer with your current bike.
numble?

You sum it up with the first three words. "My main reason". Thinking I should keep my current bike to use instead of going with a utility bike because you don't like them is crazy. We each have different uses for bicycles. You want nimble and to be able to hop down curbs. I have a road bike and a full suspension mountain bike. If I want nimble, I'll take those. This one is strictly to replace the car on short trips.

Besides, I tend to not zip between cars. People around here don't look out for cyclists very much, so flying in between cars is more like a death sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
I hope you're getting paid to hauling that much weight on a bicycle.
Last I checked I can haul what I want with a bicycle.

Old March 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #7
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I've actually been thinking of putting racks and panniers on my current bike.. Along with a brake or two...... DAMN FIXED GEARS.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #8
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
numble?

You sum it up with the first three words. "My main reason". Thinking I should keep my current bike to use instead of going with a utility bike because you don't like them is crazy. We each have different uses for bicycles. You want nimble and to be able to hop down curbs. I have a road bike and a full suspension mountain bike. If I want nimble, I'll take those. This one is strictly to replace the car on short trips.

Besides, I tend to not zip between cars. People around here don't look out for cyclists very much, so flying in between cars is more like a death sentence.

Last I checked I can haul what I want with a bicycle.
I think a factor that you would want a cargo bike is because you havn't ridden one for fair amount and ignorant of its shortcomings as a bicycle.
Hopfully, after putting a few miles on a cargo bike, you'd realize hauling 60-80 lb. on a bicycle is not all it cracked up to be, regular bicycle can do the task just as well, without the extra long wheelbase and weight of a cargo bike. Borrow, steal a cargo bike and try it for a few trips with cargo before you spend your hard earn cash.

If your traffic pattern is dangerous for a regular bicycle to be around cars, why would you ever want to risk riding in traffic with a less nimble bicycle like a cargo bike?

Growing up as a bicycle messenger in major metro cities, I am used to carry extra load on my bicycle and still zip around cars in traffic hop up and down curbs & stairs without suspensions on my bicycle.

Best of luck.. whatever you want to do with a cargo bike.

Old March 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by leed View Post
I've actually been thinking of putting racks and panniers on my current bike.. Along with a brake or two...... DAMN FIXED GEARS.
lol I kept my brakes on my FG. I guess because I like flipping the rear wheel and running a single speed (with freewheel).

Old March 6th, 2012, 01:26 PM   #10
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

My first fixed gear had a brake, but that was because I ran single-speed, and my freewheel went cablooey so I flipped it over and never switched it back. My second one I built with TT brakes for bull horns, but the TT lever doesn't fit into the end of my risers. I had a lot of fun with my fixed gear, it is a great off-season workout for road season, and you get a lot of funny looks when you have a set of TT bars on it in a full kit 'Hipsters' scoff at you like you're crazy and roadies just look in disgust, like you dishonored their heritage. I'll be honest, though, TT bars (though not setup correctly for a time trial) on my fixie made my commute a little more comfortable.

Now I wonder how much of a sin it would be to run them with stubby risers instead of a base bar!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote