ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Sally Gap, Ireland

So I posted the first attempt on this road as a vlog last week. This week I went up again and was blessed with great weather. This time I opted for my still camera instead of the video one.

The route was to start at a petrol station just outside Citywest and fill up, then a short blast up a nice fast flowing section of the N81 to get me and the tires warmed up, great 10 minute run to get you in the mood. Turned of the N81 onto the R759 which is a much more narrow road, surface is a little bumpy but its pretty uniform and free from potholes. The first half was quite slow, being that its mostly uphill. There are tonnes of hills/dips/crests so you can never really see too far ahead. Came round a tight curve to see a sheep and lamb standing in the middle of the road, the somehow got around the fencing of the neighboring field but could not get themselves back in, so I followed them as they jogged 200 meters up the road and then jumped into someones garden. Away again another kilometer, another sheep in the middle of the road After that no more sheep just the odd narrow bridge like this.

Eventually got to the crossroad a kippure where I started from last time. Went past this and continued on up and down some very steep inclines found myself in 1st gear for one of them Very challenging road but still enjoyable, this is what I came up

Luckily I found some reasonably level places to stop and take the odd picture. And also get a little bit off the road.

I only brought one camera, one lens and no tripod, my aim was to enjoy/explore the road. Past all this scenery for the last 3 km the road marking disapper and the surface becomes a bit more bumpy, then you find yourself at another one of those nice National roads, right for Roundwood, left for Bray. I went right as I saw a nice lake at Roundwood on google maps, unfortunately could not stop anywhere near it. I'll explore Roundwood and beyond next time. So I turned around and rode the gap again, back towards Blessington, this time a bit quicker than before

2 hours round trip, 50 miles, very physical trying to stay in the seat, braking hard downhill. If you take your eyes of the clocks for a split second going downhill you may find yourself at an indicated 75mph in no time, which on those narrow roads is scary, back of the bike squirms around under heavy braking. At one point in the mountains got a vicious crosswind, was leaned over a good bit just to keep going straight.

If any of you guys ever come to Ireland and rent a bike, it would be worth paying that road a visit, just don't do it in the winter as that road is usually closed during the winter, but its great in the summer

Last futzed with by karlosdajackal; May 9th, 2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #2
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Went to Ring of kerry area and then sligo afew years back...horseback.
I haven't been too many places but i can't imagine anyplace more beautiful than where i was in Ireland. Saw remarkably few motorcycle though even on the main highways. You get different bikes over there....saw a Honda...looked like a full dress hog...it was incredible....bags, lights, big-assed seat and it had a 250cc engine in it ( back in '02 or '03) Man, I loved the place.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Great pics!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I noticed a space craft in the next to last picture. Beautiful!

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #5
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

AMAZING PICS!!! Thanks! Good eye CC!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote