ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

HEADSHAKE! Has this happened to anyone else on an EX250J (everything stock)?!

I was coming home from a drugstore two blocks away last night and let go of the bars as I approached a light from very far away. I stretched, then dropped my hands to either side, then looked down only to see my handlebars shaking violently and quickly getting worse. Though it stopped as soon as I grabbed them and it wasn't nearly allowed to progress enough to be called a "tank slapper," it was very disturbing.

Honestly, I was so startled by the headshake that I forgot to take note whether or not I was in gear or coasting in neutral, but I'm pretty sure I was in neutral. The stop light was still very far away. I believe I was traveling at 20-25MPH and slowing somewhat quickly.

I thought that this was more of a problem for higher-powered bikes at higher speeds and with more agressive geometry. Additionally, I thought it was the kind of thing that hapens regardless of your hands being on the handlebars or not (it quit as soon as I grabbed them). Has this happened to anyone else on a EX250J? Mine is all stock/OEM.

Not long ago, I did check my alignment with a chain/wheel alignment tool and it seemed mostly OK, but I will check it again soon. My suspension was at maximum because I weigh about 230lbs (more with gear). I had a full, but not heavy 2 gallon tank bag and I'm running OEM GT501 tires (take-offs from another bike).

What could cause this? I may need my front fork serviced for a leak. My rear may aligment may have "settled" since adjusting it a couple weeks ago (after a tire change). Anything else I should check? Could reducing the rear suspension preload help? If I need my front forks serviced, would that be enough or should I ask for heavier fork oil? Thanks for any advice.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Front_End_Wobbles

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Strange. The conversations on that issue imply that some bikes do it and others don't. Has anyone else had it sponataneously start? I'm at 10,400 miles and it seems weired that it has been problem-free until now.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I found that my handlebars shaked when my body position was near the tank. When my body position is as far as possible it never hapens.
Note. It is always best to keep at least one hand on the bars.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2009, 05:19 PM   #5
gamma500
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Well at 10K miles you may now ....have a loose steering head bearing or even bearing failure, unilateral fork leak. Any chance your front rim is bent or tire grossly out of balance?
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma500 View Post
Well at 10K miles you may now ....have a loose steering head bearing or even bearing failure, unilateral fork leak. Any chance your front rim is bent or tire grossly out of balance?
I've never taken the front tire off, so it shouldn't be out of balance unless I lost a clip-on weight or something. Unfortunately, the others do sound possible. The front suspension has always been prone to "bottoming out" and I wouldn't doubt if some of the rough ones could have bent the rim or something, but I figure that it's probably not that because it's never been dropped or wrecked and something like that is probably what it takes to bend it. A one-sided fork leak sounds more likely though no more oil showed up on my front fender after I wiped off the drops I found months ago, thus, I assumed it was more likely road grime.

Hell, if this had started over 5K miles ago I would have blamed the time I tried to drive off with my cable lock running down along the forks, through the tire, and around the outside (left a small crack on the fairing ). Instead, I had another 5,500+ miles of trouble-free riding with frequent hands-free deceleration.

Old November 24th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #7
kkim

did you have the wobble before you changed your rear tire?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2009, 10:04 AM   #8
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

new rear tire here, and headshake remains...
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote