Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Used: MOTOTENT by Lone Rider

Not the smallest of tents but a lot of tent for its size

Cool pegs

Accessible

Packed away for the night

That metal ring is a simple but ingenious touch to the guy ropes

What it's all about

Since wild camping in the UK is generally regarded as trespassing I opted for a crowded campsite in the heart of Sussex, open fires allowed, to see if the MOTOTENT is worth the £399 price tag.

On the face of it the MOTOTENT is essentially a two man dome tent with a porch, I can pickup one of those up from Argos £100 or less. Also I was struggling to understand why you would buy a tent that you can sleep in and store your bike in overnight, certainly in the UK most places you are likely to stay are fairly secure campsites.

I took my Honda CRF250 greenlaning, strapped the tent on the back and found a campsite at the end of the day to give it a try. Here are my likes and dislikes;

The bag it comes in is adjustable and has space to store more stuff, brilliant when you are trying to keep bags to a minimum

The quality of the parts is very high. From the Red aircraft grade aluminium pegs, through to the waterproof zips and the thickness of the elasticised bands inside the tent poles. You can tell that the MOTOTENT is not made on the cheap.

It took 15 minutes to put it up, external poles and a pre attached inner tent mean setting up in the rain will always leave you somewhere dry to go at the end.

The attention to detail is superb, the access doors, vents, fly screens and internal pockets are perfectly placed. The way the guy ropes have been put together is excellent, tangle free and effective.

Two bikes fitted in the porch and you can still get in and out of the sleeping area, just. With one bike there is room to work on and around the bike if you need to, useful for track day and Enduro racers alike. If you have GS that will fit in too!

Fire-retardant rip-stop fabric means that hot motorcycles won’t burn it.

I love the colours.

Dislikes

Sitting by the tent cooking a burger with the bike inside and the words LoneRider written down the side is a touch cliché for me; I would prefer it to say MOTOTENT, or nothing at all.

I was expecting the tent to be super light, it weighs 5.4kg which given the size is about average.

Is there a need for this tent in the UK?

The campsite I stayed on was a touch rough and an unattended CRF is a thieve-in-a-vans dream come true. I was very please to hide the bike away and have it close by me over night.

If I was touring and camping with my bike allot then I would opt for the MOTOTENT over a cheaper non bike specific alternative simply because the MOTOTENT matches other tents in its price tag for quality of components.

The peace of mind the porch offers and the practicality of the layout being designed with motorcycle dimensions in mind and the ease to set up make it worth the £399 all day long.

You can find out more and here

Related Content

Go camping with your bike
Never get wet again. Guaranteed
Reader's Rides: The Welsh TT
Prince Harry's motorcycle obsession
Facebook Motorcycle Timeline Covers

Click here for full story...