ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 5th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #1
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Ninja 300 throttle bodies

Ninja 300 throttle bodies, fuel pump, fuel injectors, fuel rail, ecu, and wiring loom can all be acquired cheaply (relative to other things), but I am under the understanding the 300 ecu would work on the 250, so you would need a ecotrons ecu, does anybody know if ecotrons will sell their ecu without the kit, or if the 300 ecu will work on the 250?

Old December 5th, 2015, 09:41 PM   #2
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Hi Ryan,
from my understanding the N300 ecu can not successfully work on a N250 engine without changing too many parameter.
And if you want to change them you must know all of the factory setup.
Read about problems in the following thread https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=189716
About Ecotrons I would recommend to read this https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...&postcount=144
So let me please ask you therefore why to go the way the half way only?
If you want to go it in full then for the ecu is only one solution http://microsquirt.com/
Maybe it would be good to talk to @greg737 about the Microsquirt ECU, his thread you'll find here https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34208 or here https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54500
If you buy cheap you pay double!
Good luck
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 5th, 2015, 10:05 PM   #3
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Hi Ryan,
So let me please ask you therefore why to go the way the half way only?
What do you mean by that? I'm assuming you mean to ask why not go all the way as in ignition and fuel mapping, and in my understanding the ecotrons ecu would be able to control both.

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:06 PM   #4
swarfman64
Master modder

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): TURBO gpx250 99 CB250/500rs Sherco290 Trials Indian 1911big base (replica)

Use anything except Ecotrons.......Please! Honestly in the ecu aftermarket game you start around Motec at the top and go down from there, and at the very bottom (still being developed) is Ecotrons. Ecotrons would not allow the use use ex300 stick coils due to the extra current drawn, so there option is out just for that reason. Yes you can buy parts inividuly from them but pay if you need support over a year and if its not something they have maps for you will be doing all the hard work on the dyno $$$$$$$ Personally I'd use all OEM parts, They are ultra reliable and with the likes of Woolich tuning or similar you can change pretty much anything you need to. IMO

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:10 PM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy

So if you were to convert a NA ninjette to efi, how would you do it? Microquirt was my backup plan, but I didn't really like it.

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
What do you mean by that? I'm assuming you mean to ask why not go all the way as in ignition and fuel mapping, and in my understanding the ecotrons ecu would be able to control both.
The half way is the Ecotrons ECU.
But the N300 ECU also since you don't know all of the factory parameter, even remapping fuel or/and ignition only will not be successful enough!

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #7
swarfman64
Master modder

Motorcycle(s): TURBO gpx250 99 CB250/500rs Sherco290 Trials Indian 1911big base (replica)

I original had my 250 NA with Ecotrons, it worked and was more ride-able. But poorly crimped wires, incorrectly assembled plugs, poor external fuel system etc etc, it was a constant attention seeker. I could go on but you get the picture.
I would fit all factory 300 bits (i believe you also have to swap the flywheel too). If is needs tuning have something like a Woolich tune done. There system basically opens up your factory ecu so it can be tuned just like an aftermarket one. Pay someone to dyno tune it. Then ride it, the factory wiring,ecu,injectors etc rarely fail. You will get to enjoy your bike.
Having said all that, seriously consider fitting a 300 engine, There so cheep its possibly a better option than swapping the flywheel, and paying for the ECU flash and dyno time. And you get 50 more cc's.
Cheers

Last futzed with by swarfman64; December 5th, 2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: forgot stuff
swarfman64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #8
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfman64 View Post
I original had my 250 NA with Ecotrons, it worked and was more ride-able. But poorly crimped wires, incorrectly assembled plugs, poor external fuel system etc etc, it was a constant attention seeker. I could go on but you get the picture.
I would fit all factory 300 bits (i believe you also have to swap the flywheel too). If is needs tuning have something like a Woolich tune done. There system basically opens up your factory ecu so it can be tuned just like an aftermarket one. Pay someone to dyno tune it. Then ride it, the factory wiring,ecu,injectors etc rarely fail. You will get to enjoy your bike.
Having said all that, seriously consider fitting a 300 engine, There so cheep its possibly a better option than swapping the flywheel, and paying for the ECU flash and dyno time. And you get 50 more cc's.
Cheers
Andrew I'm sorry to contradict you here about the N300.
The better solution would be a ECU from the N250-FI, since the ecu from the 250 seems to be unrestricted.
In the N250 ecu it is possible to delete the the error codes from the FI-System what is not possible in the N300 anymore, also in some ecu's from the N300 GPS is activated (idk for what reason).
The factories do have secret codes in their ecu's and this is NOT known by any tuner like Woolich or who ever and this code can and in most cases will make changes not working in any better way.
To start with one example, changes in the IAP-Maps will not be good if you don't change ALL needed parameter and there would be much more to say about.
Sorry, but that's how it is.

Old December 5th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #9
swarfman64
Master modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Andrew I'm sorry to contradict you here about the N300.
The better solution would be a ECU from the N250-FI, since the ecu from the 250 seems to be unrestricted.
In the N250 ecu it is possible to delete the the error codes from the FI-System what is not possible in the N300 anymore, also in some ecu's from the N300 GPS is activated (idk for what reason).
The factories do have secret codes in their ecu's and this is NOT known by any tuner like Woolich or who ever and this code can and in most cases will make changes not working in any better way.
To start with one example, changes in the IAP-Maps will not be good if you don't change ALL needed parameter and there would be much more to say about.
Sorry, but that's how it is.
Fair call. Yes you're rite, with the exception of the n250 setup there will be dyno time an money spent. For about a weeks wage here you can get a very low km 300 engine,loom computer etc, everything you need. Or alternatively, It is about 2 weeks wage for an aftermarket ecu and sensors, then you've got to tune it.

Old December 7th, 2015, 12:47 AM   #10
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I've done two fuel injection conversions, my 2005 EX250 (7 years ago, I still have it an ride it regularly) and 1993 Suzuki GSF400 (my current project, running well but not completed yet).

The cheap route would be: not really doing a fuel injection conversion . To keep things cheap you'd be better off just directly swapping in an engine from a wrecked fuel injected bike, along with its fuel injection system electronics. But there'd still be issues to deal with, like the fuel pump. So I don't know how cheap even this route would end up being.

But if you're talking about a true fuel injection conversion project and you don't have skills, persistence, good tools and money I'd recommend against attempting it. Trying to do a fuel injection conversion on the cheap always ends in lots of problems or an abandoned project.

I can't understand why anyone thinking of attempting a fuel injection conversion wouldn't want to use a Microsquirt. I studied the available products extensively and chose the Microsquirt, it was a very good produce seven years ago (the Microsquirt version 2) and it is a great product today (the Microsquirt version 3).

Also, the MSExtra firmware is being constantly developed and the forum support is great and the TunerStudio software interface (for your computer, used to tune the motorcycle after you've assembled it) is outstanding.

But this is just my opinion and opinions are like a-holes, everybody's got one.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #11
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Thank you @greg737