Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 6th, 2022, 08:22 AM   #281
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

preach!
I nominate Bob for 100 ninjette points just for that post although I can relate to the frustration of having cats ruin bikes. I do what I can to avoid that and now our two cats are banned from the garage. No more of this:

Old April 3rd, 2022, 08:49 AM   #282
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ahh a high perch that's even Soft to lay on ! man ya can't beat that !
I got the Triumph running fantastically now and I took a few pictures of the beast for ya ..... now lets see if I can get them posted.
improvements sense I got her are.... new clutch, new carburetors (with removable pilot jets) , electronic ignition, new mufflers....and a whole lot of time and polishing....
Bob....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg triumph 750 ready 01.jpg (221.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Triumph750 ready02.jpg (239.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Triumph 750 ready03.jpg (261.3 KB, 5 views)

Old May 15th, 2022, 10:36 PM   #283
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I ran into a little snag with the Triumph 750 today...well yesterday and today...
I got the tank Full 3.1 gallons or Regular and she seems to like it I haven't had to clean the idle jets sense ! and I am surprised !
... but the problem is the rear wheel... it don't want to turn !
I put it on it's center stand and I still couldn't turn it so I fired it up and dug a trench so the wheel could turn.... and it does turn by hand but very hard....
not like it should by any means.... it should spin freely.... it don't !!!
I think it's the brake on the rear that is rubbing on the disk rotor.... like maybe the brake shoes have swollen up or something or perhaps the rotor is warped but if that was the case it would have an easy place in turning it and then a hard spot.... this thing is hard all the way around ....
I had the axle nut real tight with a 12" crescent wrench so I loosened it and I could see the swing arm spread a little and the wheel turned easier and then I heard the brake pads chatter.....
I just put in a new rear master cylinder and flushed the rear caliper but I did not take it all apart.... it acts like it is not releasing.... the rear brake works good by the way now..... it didn't at all when I got it....
I started messing with it today to fix the stoplight in the rear because it quit working.... I had already bought a switch for it... just haven't put it on.... well today was the day and now I have a stop light again !
so it looks like I will be going into the rear caliper because the rear caliper is not releasing the pressure on the disk pads.... not what I wanted to see but
it looks like that's the case !
Bob.......

Old May 15th, 2022, 10:44 PM   #284
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
I ran into a little snag with the Triumph 750 today...well yesterday and today...
I got the tank Full 3.1 gallons or Regular and she seems to like it I haven't had to clean the idle jets sense ! and I am surprised !
... but the problem is the rear wheel... it don't want to turn !
I put it on it's center stand and I still couldn't turn it so I fired it up and dug a trench so the wheel could turn.... and it does turn by hand but very hard....
not like it should by any means.... it should spin freely.... it don't !!!
I think it's the brake on the rear that is rubbing on the disk rotor.... like maybe the brake shoes have swollen up or something or perhaps the rotor is warped but if that was the case it would have an easy place in turning it and then a hard spot.... this thing is hard all the way around ....
I had the axle nut real tight with a 12" crescent wrench so I loosened it and I could see the swing arm spread a little and the wheel turned easier and then I heard the brake pads chatter.....
I just put in a new rear master cylinder and flushed the rear caliper but I did not take it all apart.... it acts like it is not releasing.... the rear brake works good by the way now..... it didn't at all when I got it....
I started messing with it today to fix the stoplight in the rear because it quit working.... I had already bought a switch for it... just haven't put it on.... well today was the day and now I have a stop light again !
so it looks like I will be going into the rear caliper because the rear caliper is not releasing the pressure on the disk pads.... not what I wanted to see but
it looks like that's the case !
Bob.......
Did you replace the all brake hoses it could be it collapse on the inside so there for hoses is holding residual pressure just crack the bleeder screw and then see if the wheel will turn if it does then you know it's a brake hose.

Last futzed with by shspvr; May 16th, 2022 at 04:55 AM.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2022, 11:00 PM   #285
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ahh good idea and it will also tell me if the caliper is stuck too
with no pressure on it it should release completely if it doesn't the caliper's stuck or a hose has gone goofy..... I did replace the hose going to the caliper
I think.... the old one was cracked real bad the front brake lines had just been replaced.... so they should be good to go. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what that tells me thanks for the tip !
Bob.......

Old May 16th, 2022, 06:00 AM   #286
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
Ahh good idea and it will also tell me if the caliper is stuck too
with no pressure on it it should release completely if it doesn't the caliper's stuck or a hose has gone goofy..... I did replace the hose going to the caliper
I think.... the old one was cracked real bad the front brake lines had just been replaced.... so they should be good to go. I'll give that a try tomorrow and see what that tells me thanks for the tip !
Bob.......
Did install new rear brake calipers or rebuild the old one?.
The brake fluid passage hole could be still gum up with debris, not allowing the second piston to release because there are one or two feed passage hole one on each side of the caliper block or just one big hole for piston to allow fluid in and air out when you are bleeding the brakes but some it still has debris so it unable to fully release the piston all two piece brake calipers are bad about this, other possibility is the steel hard line has debris in it, you could have gotten a bad brake hose or you somehow managed to kink or twisted the hose somehow breaking inner core.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2022, 08:53 AM   #287
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

No I didn't rebuild the caliper I took a chance and hoped it would work LOL
so it's time to rebuild it now I guess...
.... penny wise dollar foolish I guess ! LOL.
I'll pull it into the shop today and see what I got.
Bob....

Old May 17th, 2022, 11:46 PM   #288
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I didn't take it into the shop so I did it in the back yard.... I put it on it's center stand and pulled off the caliper then took it into the shop....
then I tried to figure out how to pull it apart....
after a few hours of fussing with it I tried taking out the outer seal on the cup/pistons.... that worked real good as it gave me enough of the piston that was exposed now to grab it with a pare of needle nose vicegrips ( I love those things)
so then I could hold the vicegrips and I used an extension to pry and turn the piston with a long screwdriver.... that worked in turning the piston so in pulling up and out and turning at the same time I finally got the pistons out and I could clean it up.... one piston does have a divot in it about half way down the side but other than that they cleaned up nicely and would fall into the caliper with no resistance with the inner seal removed..... getting the inner caliper wall clean was a long battle but I finally got them clean and polished up real good
I put the old seals back in and re assembled the calipers and put it back on after I took the wire wheel to the brake shoes to get the glaze off them.
then put it back on the bike the speedometer take off on the rear wheel gave me fits but I finally got it on there I had to put on and take off the rear wheel several times just to get that darn speedo sending unit on there right ..both of the pins are broken off of it but I managed to jerry rig a piece of zip tie super glued on there to act ad the turning pin.... that way if it does get ripped out of there it won't hurt the bearings.
once I got it all back to gether and found the rear wheel turns good by it's self I started bleeding the rear brake again.... I don't remember exactly what I did last time to get all the air out of it but there is definitely a trick to it
because I still have air in the system..... I think I blead every joint where the hoses connect and finished off at the bleeder valve I tried that but there is still some air in it..... but the brake is releasing and the caliper is not leaking
either... which is a surprise because I used the old seals ! LOL
some times you get lucky I guess !
I did buy a vacuum outfit for bleeding the brakes on the Ninja but I didn't bother digging it out....
the manual says to take the bracket loose from the axle and let the thing dangle when you bleed the rear brake ...that may be what I did last time
but as hard as it was to get that axle in and keep that speedo sending unit on there at the right place I am trying to avoid doing that.... I may have to though ! UGH !
..... so tomorrow I hope to finish getting the air out of the rear brake and take her for a ride we'll see....
then I can continue working on the RX4.
Bob.....

Old May 20th, 2022, 04:29 AM   #289
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

no luck so far getting the last little bit of air out of the system on the rear....
it's being very stubborn ! I have to change it's orientation I think to get the air to flow out as with it in it's horizontal position it won't go !
.... the manual says take it loose from the axle and let it dangle... I think I did that last time.... so I guess I have to do that again and fight with the speedo thing.....I need to just buy a replacement piece and be done with it but at over $100 bucks for the thing I'll see if I can jerry rig it to do for now !
..... it was nice for 2 days then all of a sudden a wind off the glaciers came in and boy it chilled down real fast we had a frost warning for tonight !
crazy weather ! living at 4000'ASL has it's disadvantages ! LOL
Bob.......

Old May 20th, 2022, 09:57 AM   #290
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
i've found with brakes, it's best not to fight laws of physics. Bleeding brakes is always a battle of speed as bubbles are rising towards MC as you're trying to force fluid in opposite direction. Go too slow and those bubbles will move back faster than you push fluid and you lose.

On way I've found that works 100% of time, 1st time around, and wastes minimal fluid, is to make sure caliper is always higher than MC. On front, I'll straddle front tyre with ladder and clamp calipers to step higher than MC with bleed nipple aimed up at highest point. On rear, i'll strap to side of seat.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 20th, 2022, 02:03 PM   #291
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ahh thanks Danno ! higher than the master cylinder ! Got it !
I'll give that a try..... THANKS !
Bob.....

Old May 20th, 2022, 04:16 PM   #292
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

that did the trick ! I put the brake caliper on the rear foot peg and blead it there..... got a little air out of it imediately... I put a 3/4" end wrench between the brake pads to keep them out at the distance of the disk....
anyway that worked great..... the brakes work now but not the best in the world.... I think they need to be broke in some as they are new pads....
it won't lock up the rear wheel at the present time which I do not like but I think that will get better with a few runs.
after putting fresh gas in the bike I have not had to clean the pilot jets sense....
and I am having trouble understanding that.... that gas had sta-bul in it
but it did NOT like the Tiny pilot jets !
.... Kind'a weird..... I wonder if that would effect the Ninja in the same way ?
I've not had any trouble with the ninja starting and running .... it's a tad slow on acceleration but I figure that is because it's cold....that bike likes to be at operating temperature !
anyway I took the Triumph up the street turned around and came back and tested the brake in the rear several times and it definitely works
doesn't lock it up yet though.... I think I need to hold the brake on firmly for about 500 feet or so to burn it in ! LOL.... that usually does the trick on disk brakes !
.... I got no energy at all today darn it, or I would take the Triumph for a good long ride. Phitttt. I woke up tired ! which is usually the case but today is worse.... I've had this thing called Chronic fatigue Syndrome all my life and the Doc told me nothing we can do , ya gott'a live with it ! but some times it is really a P.I.T.A. !!!!
Bob...
and thanks Danno that advice really helped !

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 23rd, 2022, 09:21 PM   #293
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I didn't take any bike out today as I got up rather LATE afternoon some time !
but I did get the front of the RX4 up a bit I got both the front forks set at 1.25" from the triple tree and I'll see how that works...
I did lower the rear with the pre load a bit more the seat height is still at 32" as close as I can tell ( that is stock seat height.... 31.9") I let some air out of the tires too as they were pressurized to 32~35psi.... I now have them at 30psi for the rear and 28~29psi for the front
so I am planning on running to the top of the mountain tomorrow on the RX4
and see how it rides....
.... On the Triumph I put the leather tool case back on the bike and put my tool bundle in there too and then added a bungee cord around it for good measure !... I also tightened the bolts under the rubber mounts for the handle bars they were too soft and allowing the bars to flex too much now their fairly solid....we'll see how fast they put my hands to sleep.... HAHAHA!

I haven't touched the little Ninja in weeks moved it once is all... and I feel guilty ! LOL she's a good bike and needs a run after setting all winter !
twas a good day here today for riding too... nice weather, a bit on the cool side but rideable !
... I just had little get-up-and-go and got up way too late for a long run.
..... maybe tomorrow !
Bob....