ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed > Track Organizations

Notices

Old September 12th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Roger Lyle's Motorcycle Excitement

Mid-Atlantic
http://www.motorcyclexcitement.com

The good: Cheaper than team promotion and n2. Roger tries his best to personally help out as many people as he can if any issues pop up. Feels like a relaxed atmosphere from the administration side.
The bad: Lack of instruction, it's there but the quality of it pales in comparison to my other experience at Mid-Ohio. More than 2x the amount of crashes in one day than Mid-Ohio had in 2 days
Notes: It was very crowded too. I tried to work with the instructors as much as possible but wasn't able to properly do so until closer to the end of the day when there were fewer people on the track.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #2
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dre

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, 2008 ZX6, 2011 Ninja 1000

I concur with the overview. Roger is an awesome guy. The atmosphere and his hospitality makes you feel right at home. There's just a lack of structure. For instance, there have been days where they decide to not go through the flags, even with a large number of beginners. That is scary!

I would still recommend people checking him out. I have very close friends that now coach with the organization, and they have said that the structure has improved greatly since I was last there in May of 2014.

There is a partnership with ACE now. As long as you are a member with MotorcycleXcitement, you don't have to be a member of ACE to attend a track day.
gogoKawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
good to know that their structure has improved since I rode with them. The review is mine, was moved over when this subforum was created. I'm pretty torn between riding with motoxcitement and team promotion next season. Having ridden with both which do you recommend @gogoKawi ?
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #4
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

They recently implemented a one crash and done policy. So there's that to think about also.
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
That's not the worst policy to have from the organization's standpoint. They helped me a lot getting back on after my crash with them but I can't argue against that policy since it's usually not a good idea to get back on the same day
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:15 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
They recently implemented a one crash and done policy. So there's that to think about also.
I will never ride with an org that has that policy. I understand their risks and it makes business sense but misses the point of a track day. I also see it from another orgs point of view as well, you wanna act like a racer and take chances at a track day... crash and you're done. Hell, you might be done before you even crash if I have anything to do with it. I have seen other tracks have success with that rule vs. a blanket rule of any crash and your day is over.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I still want to give them a chance but I admit tpm is looking more appealing as my main org. If only they didn't have the increased membership costs
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
That's not the worst policy to have from the organization's standpoint. They helped me a lot getting back on after my crash with them but I can't argue against that policy since it's usually not a good idea to get back on the same day
Right or wrong, I have the opposite belief. Chone went down and was back on after a 1h lunch and did just fine. I have seen it sooooooo many other times before from other riders.

They are banning way to many things in life. Kids can't sled in the winter at parks. WTF.... Now you crash at a track with medical right there and waivers signed. Uggg... Memberships in the hundreds and they wonder why attendance is down.

A track weekend is a significant investment for the average Joe. I aint about to chance it. If I can ride (per medical) and the bike passes tech, I should get what I paid for or my $$ back (prorated). Simple as that....
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:29 AM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I've benefitted from being able to ride the same day and agree with you, from a business standpoint though liability sucks. I just looked at tpm's schedule for 2015 and pieced together a few track days in my mind before I go to get my race license on memorial day with marrc
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:34 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Meh, I am focusing on the negative... Sorry, my bad.

Go enjoy the track time, learn a lot, get your race lic. and tell us all about the great time you had.
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:43 AM   #11
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

I haven't heard about the one crash rule. Last year, it was 2 crashes and you were done, which was fair. I'm going to ask a couple of the coaches what's up.

But changing the crash rule won't solve the underlying issue I have with the org, structure. Having consistent rules is a must. On any given day, the rules can change. That shouldn't happen.

Also, having people in the right group is a must. It's funny. I consider the intermediate group to be more like a Novice+. Many people in the group just don't belong there. It's dangerous. And for some reason, the coaches don't police this. Parking it in the corners and having erratic lines have been the cause of several incidents. They are working on it.

Despite these issues, I will be riding with them a couple of times. The atmosphere and people are pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
good to know that their structure has improved since I rode with them. The review is mine, was moved over when this subforum was created. I'm pretty torn between riding with motoxcitement and team promotion next season. Having ridden with both which do you recommend @gogoKawi ?
I base my track decisions on fun, price, location, and date (in that order). MX now partners with Absolute, which adds quite a few tracks to the mix. So I would say track-wise, they are just about equal. Prices depend on the number of track days you are doing. If you are talking like 5 or 6 days, MX would be cheaper. More than that, TPM full throttle is the way to go. If you catch a membership special, even better. No right or wrong answer here. It's all fun and you can't go wrong with either one.
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:44 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if bike and rider check out of inspection after the crash, why not let them ride again. it's pretty obvious to see someone who still has the mist in their eyes.
Old January 27th, 2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

A local org went to the one-crash-and-done rule a few years ago, after crunching all of their data up until that point on crash statistics. It was pretty telling, that the chance of someone who has crashed once, going back out and crashing again that same day was alarmingly high. This was a few years back, so forgive me if I biff the details by some amount, but IIRC, the overall crash rate was 6% (6 out of 100 riders are going to hit the deck on an average track day of theirs). But the chances of the same rider going back out and crashing twice, it was something obscene, like 3 times that normal average. The data was pretty compelling.

Personally, I fully get how in a race situation, if you crash in one race, teching it and getting right back out there for the next grid is completely normal/accepted. But since we are talking about trackdays, crashing is never supposed to be acceptable. Having it in the back of one's mind that they need to keep whatever margin is required to keep from crashing or they are done for the day, doesn't rub me the wrong way.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:01 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

It's cool! As an org, you have to worry about the safety of the whole as well as the single rider. Just remember, I am a wandering soul and am used to 3-4 (or even less) crashes for an entire weekend, including races. If they have more than that, then they will do what they must to control their people. It's fairly common to get a second riders meeting if the day doesn't start of well round my parts.

Quote:
If you all can't keep your bikes upright, I got no problem with us doing parade laps all day. - Todd (MotoSeries)
Come and ride safely as possible or go home. I got no issue with that.
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:10 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Also, let me add...

I have seen the other extreme as well. I went to a track day where there was 17 crashes in a single day. I personally think they should have shut it ALL down and EVERYONE went home.
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:25 PM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogoKawi View Post
Despite these issues, I will be riding with them a couple of times. The atmosphere and people are pretty awesome.

I base my track decisions on fun, price, location, and date (in that order). MX now partners with Absolute, which adds quite a few tracks to the mix. So I would say track-wise, they are just about equal. Prices depend on the number of track days you are doing. If you are talking like 5 or 6 days, MX would be cheaper. More than that, TPM full throttle is the way to go. If you catch a membership special, even better. No right or wrong answer here. It's all fun and you can't go wrong with either one.
I'll be riding with MX to ride shenny more since it's my favorite track and they do a few weekends sat/sun doubled up there. I don't know how many days I expect to ride since I want to sign up for a CCS division. I like the people with MX and if they're more structured now then that's an improvement. I'll definitely be riding with both at some point this season though
Old January 27th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #17
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Also, let me add...

I have seen the other extreme as well. I went to a track day where there was 17 crashes in a single day. I personally think they should have shut it ALL down and EVERYONE went home.
It is important to note that the time I rode with MX it was a crashfest where it felt like half the people that showed up crashed
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Figured I'd update the thread

I was talking with rodger the other day and the "one and done" crash rule came up. He said he's toned it back a bit, basically what it is is he reserves the right to not allow you back on the track after a crash if he feels that you were intentionally riding dangerously. 2 crashes and there's no chance though, but if you crash twice in one track day there's an issue somewhere.
Old February 13th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #19
gogoKawi
ninjette.org sage

2 crashes and done was the policy when I was last there. Had a guy, unfortunately a friend of a friend, test out the policy. Went down at the bottom of the bowl at Shenny twice. I was right behind him the second time. He said, and I quote, "When my elbow touched the ground, it caught me off-guard." Which, as you can guess, made the bike low side. My eyes and my camera saw something very different. But I digress... After that second crash, he was politely told he was done for the day and something was wrong with him. I agreed.

The 2 down policy is a good rule. It gives you a chance to fix the bike if something wacky happens.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #20
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Anyone have recent/updated guidance on the crash rule? Of course my intention is not to test it at all, but things happen. Their website currently lists
Quote:
  • If you are the cause of a crash that results in a delay of track time, you are done for the day.
  • If you were not the cause, and you can ride again, the bike and rider must be checked over by the
  • Tech Inspector and approved before going back out.
  • The second time you crash for any reason, you are out for the day.
  • Anyone causing a crash, reckless riding, stunting, or out-of-control wheelies will not be tolerated. Violators will be asked to leave.
Which seems like a one and done rule in that first bullet.

Edit: In practice it seemed to be 1) Go talk to Roger and he'll make a judgement call and 2) you're done for the day.

Last futzed with by toEleven; April 25th, 2016 at 08:02 AM.
toEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #21
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

The policy from the rider's meeting earlier this month was that it was a first crash was at the discretion of Roger.

However, if the rider causes a red flag for the session, then it is an automatic cut. From what I recall, the thought on this was that it's unfair to take time away from other riders.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote