Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old October 11th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #1
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

$500 for a 1988 Ninja 600R

It's a fixer-upper. Supposedly ran one season then sat. Won't start now.

I'm thinking of taking a gamble on this.

Anyone's thoughts? What should I look for? A fixer-upper is definitely not going to fall in line with any of the used motorcycle buying guides.

Old October 11th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Ken, sounds interesting if you like that bike/style/gen. If it only ran one season and it needs a lot of work, it must have been one hard season. Otherwise, not really enough info go one.

So your thinking;

clean carbs
freshen airbox/filter
change all other fluids/gas
fresh tires
right?

Other issues?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ken, sounds interesting if you like that bike/style/gen. If it only ran one season and it needs a lot of work, it must have been one hard season. Otherwise, not really enough info go one.

So your thinking;

clean carbs
freshen airbox/filter
change all other fluids/gas
fresh tires
right?

Other issues?

Well the ad says it ran last summer and then sat. So I assume it ran last year then sat all the way up till now.

So yeah, cleaning out the carbs, oil/ filter change, replace gas. Check condition of tank. Tires if they're cracked and/ or been sitting on the ground instead of on stands.

It's either a winner or a very big paperweight if it's got blown gasket or something, idk.

Old October 12th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #4
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja SE

just curious you have a new 2012 250R and now you want a really old 600R? It surely wont be as much fun as the 250R, there will be problems down the road and very unreliable. However It is cheap so I think is OK for you to buy it, you wont lose anything, only thing you might lose is your time and effort.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #5
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
just curious you have a new 2012 250R and now you want a really old 600R? It surely wont be as much fun as the 250R, there will be problems down the road and very unreliable. However It is cheap so I think is OK for you to buy it, you wont lose anything, only thing you might lose is your time and effort.
Isn't this the predecessor to the ZX6R or am I thinking of another bike?

For the record, I am getting kind of bored of the 250R on the highway what with it always being around 9-11K. If I could get the 600R into running shape, my commute would be a bit more...fun.

That and the possibility of being able to flip it next summer.

Old October 12th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Isn't this the predecessor to the ZX6R or am I thinking of another bike?

For the record, I am getting kind of bored of the 250R on the highway what with it always being around 9-11K. If I could get the 600R into running shape, my commute would be a bit more...fun.

That and the possibility of being able to flip it next summer.
Right on, I've got bored with the 250R also for the first 3 months of riding. I sold the 250R and upgraded to a Yamaha R6 after that, so much more fun and fast. But that was when I used the bike for fun, not to commute (work, school, etc) I had car and bikes at that time.

Now though I sold my car, and use my Ninja 250 (yes bought another one) to commute and get around places.

I understand in the US speed limit are higher, that you always get close to redline of the Ninja 250R, this is a very good reason to upgrade, the 250 is not enough for you. Because I live in very urban places, my highway speed have been 8-10K, maybe once a while 11-12k but i always ride at max 75-77miles per hour (converted for you), because the speed limit here is quite strict and I dont want to get too close to the red line all the time.

Therefore I think your upgrade is very justified, but 1988 for commute seems a bit too unreliable. I would sell the Ninja 250R and use the money to upgrade for something newer 1999 at least.

The R6 I had before was from 1999, and I certainly wouldn't use it for commute, it had many miles and parts were old felt like it would break any second.

Old October 12th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #7
tc.young
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): '89 klr 650, '00 250r

500 for a non runner that your planning on flipping and the bike really isn't that noteworthy is a bir tight I think. I'd you can wrench pretty well then it could be a good deal counting nothing else is up. Less is always better regardless. Keep in mind things like greasing and lubing a lot of things will be necessary as piece of mind. Why not get a friend to give you a second set of eyes
tc.young is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by caineroad View Post
Right on, I've got bored with the 250R also for the first 3 months of riding. I sold the 250R and upgraded to a Yamaha R6 after that, so much more fun and fast. But that was when I used the bike for fun, not to commute (work, school, etc) I had car and bikes at that time.

Now though I sold my car, and use my Ninja 250 (yes bought another one) to commute and get around places.

I understand in the US speed limit are higher, that you always get close to redline of the Ninja 250R, this is a very good reason to upgrade, the 250 is not enough for you. Because I live in very urban places, my highway speed have been 8-10K, maybe once a while 11-12k but i always ride at max 75-77miles per hour (converted for you), because the speed limit here is quite strict and I dont want to get too close to the red line all the time.

Therefore I think your upgrade is very justified, but 1988 for commute seems a bit too unreliable. I would sell the Ninja 250R and use the money to upgrade for something newer 1999 at least.

The R6 I had before was from 1999, and I certainly wouldn't use it for commute, it had many miles and parts were old felt like it would break any second.
Our situations do indeed vary. I go on occasional trips to Queens so from my rides there, albeit at night, a 250 is perfectly befitting while my 250 only does an okay job accommodating my commute. On the other hand, gas is extremely cheap but I always wondered what kind of gas savings I'm experiencing if my bike is always at 11K.

You do have a point. Getting a 20 year old motorcycle as a commuter is definitely a risk in itself. The last thing I'd like is to be stranded on the side of the i495 which'd only remind me of what my driving instructor once said, it stands for i-die. Lol

You mentioned speed limit strictness but is that only because you're in an urban area or because it's just set very low compared to over here? And thanks for the conversion -- I feel like the standard 88.5KPH was already a tad slow.

Oh and that R6. Mhm. One day. That or a GSXR (only because it feels more compact and suited for my shot height)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc.young View Post
500 for a non runner that your planning on flipping and the bike really isn't that noteworthy is a bir tight I think. I'd you can wrench pretty well then it could be a good deal counting nothing else is up. Less is always better regardless. Keep in mind things like greasing and lubing a lot of things will be necessary as piece of mind. Why not get a friend to give you a second set of eyes
If only. When I crashed, everyone I knew probably felt that the bike's totaled and had no hopes. I don't know anyone that's exactly dependent and the one person that rides beater bikes don't even work on them. He just chances it when he commutes to work on them. Lol

I'm actually going to try to drop the price to $350

Old October 13th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #9
caineroad
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Our situations do indeed vary. I go on occasional trips to Queens so from my rides there, albeit at night, a 250 is perfectly befitting while my 250 only does an okay job accommodating my commute. On the other hand, gas is extremely cheap but I always wondered what kind of gas savings I'm experiencing if my bike is always at 11K.

You do have a point. Getting a 20 year old motorcycle as a commuter is definitely a risk in itself. The last thing I'd like is to be stranded on the side of the i495 which'd only remind me of what my driving instructor once said, it stands for i-die. Lol

You mentioned speed limit strictness but is that only because you're in an urban area or because it's just set very low compared to over here? And thanks for the conversion -- I feel like the standard 88.5KPH was already a tad slow.

Oh and that R6. Mhm. One day. That or a GSXR (only because it feels more compact and suited for my shot height)

Our max speed limit across all highways (freeways in the US) are 100KPH (60miles per hour), as you see I am riding over the limit by 15-17mph already @ 75-77mph. I've been to the US, and in some areas the speed limit are 70 or 75mph. Having more cc on those roads is definitely better.

Old October 14th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #10
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

pics please!
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote