Notices

Old March 6th, 2014, 01:54 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Why do I wave?

FYI this is me coming down off two days solid of little food, little water, a lot of sleep, and a whole bottle of NyQuil. You've been warned.

Tl;dr - I wave.

So I stumbled across a craigslist rant this week from someone moaning about biker's waving at him. He didn't see a point to it, didn't see a reason, and sure as shooting wasn't going to wave himself. Fine, dandy, whatever, moving on.

Of course, this little nugget stuck in my head and got me questioning why do I wave whenever I see anyone out on two wheels. Scooters, cruisers, sports, dual sports, tourers, even the occastional mountain or road bike get a wave from me. I don't care, I wave. It really doesn't matter if they wave back or not either, doesn't add to or subtract from my day. But i do have this habit: See a biker, wave.

Why?

The obvious answer is "Well, saying hello!" Ok, then why don't I say hello to the numerous other users of the road I pass throughout the course of the day? Pedestrians, cars, trucks, RVs, semis, none get a wave unless they do something generous and I'm thanking them.

"Well, then saying hello to those who share the risk riders take." Seems rather a morbid acknowledgement. Hi, we're bikers and our odds of death are higher because of that, let me wave at you to make this moment better. I really hope it's deeper than that.

"Well, saying hello to those who share a love for motorcycling!" But how do you know? In reality a bike is just a machine. Visually from opposing directions at 60mph it is difficult to tell the bike that is loved from the one neglected. Tohe other rider, is the bike a means to an end; commuting, saving gas, saving money, etc? Is the bike a luxury; a second vehicle, a weekend getaway, a track bike, etc? Or is the bike a extension of a rider who has more oil and grease in their veins than the blood and sweat shed over hours wrenching to bring a dead bike back to life?

"Well, then just being friendly!" And I refer you back up to the first answer. My inner voice starts getting grumpy by this point and turns to the "cold shoulder" treatment that lets deeper thoughts and musings have their turn in the spotlight.

"It feels good to be friendly." Ah, so by waving and smiling at random folks who have no clue who I am I can feel good about maybe making them feel a bit happier. That might work if everyone returned the wave, but there are those that don't and even a few grumpy faces as they pass by.

"But you saw them and you waved, you feel good." But I don't really, it doesn't matter if I do or don't wave. I wave when it is convenient sure, but in the middle of a corner, they'll be lucky to get a head nod as all my focus is on the line ahead and not the biker going the other direction. I chose safety over "feeling good" about waving to another biker I see.

"But you saw them and acknowledged them." True, whether through a wave, nod, just looking in their direction, I did see them. I know they were there and saw where they were in relation to me. Its a small physical movement to seal in the awareness in my head that saw the other biker and recognized they were there.

"You saw them." Ah, for me this might be it. It is more than just being friendly to another motorcyclist who is out there enjoying the day on the open road while still being at a greater risk than most. It is more than just an automatic motion that happens without thought or awareness. It is me actively and with mindfulness acknowledging seeing another rider on the road. Training my mind to recognize another rider when my eye sees them and forcing an action to cement that recognition into part of the awareness of the environment I am riding in. I see you, I see you now and I will see you later, regardless if I am on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian. I *see* you.

Don't just see; observe.

-Namaste
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
In these parts, about 90% will wave or nod (if hands are busy). Motorcycle cops will usually wave if they're not riding with another cop.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #3
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I think it's definitely a "community" thing, being part of a lifestyle/group/community. It happens in boating here in the California Delta as well.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #4
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

I enjoy getting the wave. I am pleased that it doesn't matter if I am riding the Ninja or the Harley, riders of all types will wave. Sometimes I fail to return a wave if I am deep in a corner or zoned out on some endless straight and don't notice in time.

We Jeep Wrangler drivers also swap waves, but it is less consistent than the rider wave.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #5
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Relevant thread

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #6
Han Solo 1
ninjette.org guru

Name: Han Solo

Motorcycle(s): Had a 2008 Ninja 250, til some low-life stole it. Now riding a 2013 red cbr250.

I once didn't return a wave because I was busy looking at something else. I registered the wave, but just didn't have the presence of mind to return it.

The guy made a U-Turn, passed me by, and yelled "a$$hole" as he passed.
Han Solo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:38 PM   #7
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Solo 1 View Post
I once didn't return a wave because I was busy looking at something else. I registered the wave, but just didn't have the presence of mind to return it.

The guy made a U-Turn, passed me by, and yelled "a$$hole" as he passed.
You got off easy, I would have

ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

Ill wave if I notice. Sometimes Ill wave after they passed just in the odd chance they see it in their mirror. I've actually had quite a few cruisers wave to me.

Old March 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I wave all the time!!! Sometimes I stop an say hello.
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #10
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

The island community 'setting' I'll admit, is different from other places...
but then no matter where ya go, there's always gonna be a**h****.

that said, I've owned sport bikes and cruisers. when I didn't own a ride my
favorite rental was a heritage.

matters not what i'm riding, or what they're on

everybody gets da wave.

some respond in kind...some don't
a reply is always nice
anything else has never really bothered me

I did what I wanted to, and that's all I gots to say about that

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
FYI this is me coming down off two days solid of little food, little water, a lot of sleep, and a whole bottle of NyQuil. You've been warned.
Or is the bike a extension of a rider who has more oil and grease in their veins than the blood and sweat shed over hours wrenching to bring a dead bike back to life?...............
Feel better soon, Teri !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 06:36 PM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Feel better soon, Teri !!!

Thanks Hernan, at least i am over the boiling alive stage. Now at the massive amounts of chicken soup stage. I suspect I'll be able to sprout feathers and fly across country at this pace.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #13
ez12a
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold), 2007 SV650S

it's cause we're in an exclusive club that cagers don't participate in. :P

jk. I wave and its nice to wave back. hardcore harley people dont seem to like to wave though.

but if i'm concentrating making a maneuver like a lane change then i dont bother..
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:02 PM   #14
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

I find that the only Harley riders that don't wave are Hells Angels and the like.

Most Harley riders don't have their helmet up their arse, and are decent everyday folks.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #15
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
"You saw them." Ah, for me this might be it. It is more than just being friendly to another motorcyclist who is out there enjoying the day on the open road while still being at a greater risk than most. It is more than just an automatic motion that happens without thought or awareness. It is me actively and with mindfulness acknowledging seeing another rider on the road. Training my mind to recognize another rider when my eye sees them and forcing an action to cement that recognition into part of the awareness of the environment I am riding in. I see you, I see you now and I will see you later, regardless if I am on a bike, in a car, or as a pedestrian. I *see* you.

Don't just see; observe.

-Namaste

^^^^^^^ This right here. Philosophically, humans are pack animals. We find security and comfort in numbers. A rider in a world of cagers feels alone. We know that we are invisible. To see another gazelle sneak through this land of lions gives you a feeling of comraderie. And to know that someone does see you, does know your there, won't turn in front of you, and understands your contant struggle in this world provides a kind of comfort you don't find on those roads anywhere else.

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #16
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
it's cause we're in an exclusive club that cagers don't participate in.
50's thru 70's sports car drivers wave to each other, especially if the tops are down. It used to be limited to guys driving the same make of car, but nowadays, it doesn't matter the make. model, or country of origin. Fiat and Triumph drivers wave at one another. Mutual respect and admiration for keeping the dinosaurs on the road.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 6th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #17
rasta
Your face

I give the HANG LOOSE now . Not sure why, I hate that sign in every other application

Old March 6th, 2014, 11:58 PM   #18
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
I give the HANG LOOSE now . Not sure why, I hate that sign in every other application
you talk'in 'shaka' rasta yeah? (\nm/)

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:06 AM   #19
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
you talk'in 'shaka' rasta yeah? (\nm/)
Lol yes. And I should clarify, it is acceptable when Hawaiians do it

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:12 AM   #20
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Lol yes. And I should clarify, it is acceptable when Hawaiians do it
bruddah dat jus means you hawaiian at heart

Old March 7th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #21
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

I try to wave all the time when it is safe for me to do so and I wave to just about everyone on two wheels (motos/scooters/bikes) and select cars that go out of their way to make my riding a bit more comfy. Recently been appreciating the warning gestures from cars about potential LEO up ahead and now try to extend the same courtesy to other drivers. Oi...I guess I'm one happy ass rider.
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 05:25 AM   #22
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I wave for a combination of the reasons you listed...

And you never know if the biker coming down the road is having a ruff day, a little may help brighten it.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 05:40 AM   #23
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

To me it's absolutely a morbid thing, I wave at people who are at least as likely as me to be flattened by traffic. Bikers, cyclists, road workers, cops, unicyclists, crossing guards, whatever. "Props on your big brass balls!", says my wave.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 07:49 AM   #24
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

I wave for the simple reason (morbid?) that no matter your reason for riding, you are riding. All rides for any reason further our sport. Some (squids) detract as much as they add but anyone riding is a participant in the incredible activity which makes me happy everyday. The fact that they are out there that day and I see them makes me want to give them some sort of recognition. So I wave. I may not like them if I were to talk to them but I do like them the moment I see them!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #25
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

That help?

Many people suck, are riding for the image or just are the kind of people who you wouldn't want to know anyway. I still wave most of the time out of habit when it was an unwritten rule if you broke down, another rider would stop to help. We all seemed to be on the same page.

These days, there is a large segment of them I'd rather have ride right by me if I was stuck.

Do you wave to everyone in a car? At the mall? Motorcyclists aren't a special type anymore, at least not the majority like it seemed it was back when.

The last time I stopped to help a guy who's shifter fell apart on his Ducati, well, I was sorry I did. I gave the guy a bolt off my bike, repaired it for him and he never even said thanks or shook my hand. He just kept pissin & moaning about how the dealer was going to hear shat from him.

It won't be the last time I stop, but I'll be taking a good inventory of the rider next time before I bother to sit on the ground, unwrap my tools and take parts off my bike to get them rolling again. If I get a hint of bad attitude, I'll say good luck and roll away.

I'm in Daytona to race, the number of idiots on bikes is STAGGERING. I'm embarrassed to be counted among them. No, nobody is waving, they all appear to be in pain by their facial expressions and enjoy blasting open exhaust at women, children and dogs as they sit at a light.

Wave to your friends!
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
The last time I stopped to help a guy who's shifter fell apart on his Ducati, well, I was sorry I did. I gave the guy a bolt off my bike, repaired it for him and he never even said thanks or shook my hand. He just kept pissing & moaning about how the dealer was going to hear shat from him..................
I have had more than one bad experience like that.
I believe the problem is the false sense of deserving that some people have nowadays.
You never know the type of person to whom you are helping with the best intentions.

Helping or waving is seldom wrong; wrong is the lack of proper response to these actions, .............but that cannot be my fault.
What do the dull and insensitive bring to the world?
I still choose helping as frequently as possible, because I have been helped in extraordinary ways, during the more difficult moments that I have had while riding.

Somebody stole all the fuel of another bike I had years ago while I was far away from home.
While I was pushing my bike under the Sun, through a not-so-good neighborhood, trying to find a gas station, this guy shouted from his door and bothered to ask me if I needed help.

He walked across the street with a jug of gasoline, poured it into my tank and never asked why I had been so dumb to run out of gas.
When I thanked him and talked about returning the fuel the next day, he asked me to help someone else in need instead.

Another guy came form nowhere with the biggest screwdriver I have ever seen and helped me dragging my bike out of the way and unlocking the shaft-chain that had broken and made fall.
I could have never done it by myself while I was in pain and bleeding.

I know that many will not welcome or return it and don't know why I do it, but I still wave to bikers and stop to offer help to other motorcyclists .......... and even to some drivers.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #27
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

I wave as more of a personal exercise in alertness than anything. I try and be as observant as possible when I'm in traffic, and looking for other motorcyclists gives me a reason to always be looking around for potential dangers. If I happen to miss another person on a bike and notice them after they're already behind me, that could've been a car coming at me that I wouldn't have seen, or a small animal, something like that.

Of course, you have the community aspect of it, too. Had a wonderful conversation at the bank the other day (1 in the afternoon, I was the only one in there) with the teller. She had an r6 but had started out on a 250, etc. It's nice to be able to just start talking with someone you may not have anything else in common with.
@Motofool, I had an experience similar to that a couple months ago. I was with my mom, we were going to the store or something, and there was a guy on the side of the road with a yellow suzuki, supposedly out of gas. Turns out, he was on his way back from buying it, and didn't know about the reserve function that most bikes have. Easiest fix you could hope to have, thankfully. We exchanged conversation and all that fun stuff. It feels good to be able to do that sort of thing.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 01:04 AM   #28
pwalo
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 SE

Down here we tend to nod rather than wave. We drive on the left hand side of the road so the whole waving thing is a bit awkward, and we Kiwis also tend to be a bit reserved so are a bit shy about the whole waving at strangers thing.

And most of the time it's blowing a gale so it's a bit unwise any way.
pwalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 01:54 AM   #29
komohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalo View Post
Down here we tend to nod rather than wave. We drive on the left hand side of the road so the whole waving thing is a bit awkward
Oh Yeah NO!?!

Old March 8th, 2014, 02:20 AM   #30
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Cool

Old March 8th, 2014, 04:36 AM   #31
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
your avatar made me do a double take... twice
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2014, 10:40 AM   #32
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

You wave because you have issues with your relationship with your father and you enjoy the attention of strange men.

That's probably also why you do drugs. (Nyquill)

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old March 10th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #33
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I have had more than one bad experience like that.
I believe the problem is the false sense of deserving that some people have nowadays.
That's why they call my generation the generation of entitlement, and dammit am I proud.

Not really

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
The last time I stopped to help a guy who's shifter fell apart on his Ducati, well, I was sorry I did. I gave the guy a bolt off my bike, repaired it for him and he never even said thanks or shook my hand. He just kept pissin & moaning about how the dealer was going to hear shat from him.

It won't be the last time I stop, but I'll be taking a good inventory of the rider next time before I bother to sit on the ground, unwrap my tools and take parts off my bike to get them rolling again. If I get a hint of bad attitude, I'll say good luck and roll away.

I'm in Daytona to race, the number of idiots on bikes is STAGGERING. I'm embarrassed to be counted among them. No, nobody is waving, they all appear to be in pain by their facial expressions and enjoy blasting open exhaust at women, children and dogs as they sit at a light.

Wave to your friends!
You will want to skip the bahama breeze just across the street from Daytona. Was hoping for something more, but it wasn't there.... the drinks where good though!

One does not help others for the gratification of receiving something in return, but instead to know that a selfless act was gifted. But yea... a simple thank you goes a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggggg way. Keep stopping and helping, otherwise the old ways are completely lost.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Oh! Good luck racing too!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #36
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Its the sense of acknowledgement, the approval that someone knows you exist and are part of the biker coommunity. Like a thumbs up . Wave to be friendly. Not everyone will wave or can, wouldn't be upset if didn't get a wave back or an intial wave.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote