ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #161
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I got an invitation through Craig Vetter to show my streamliner at the Corbin Bike Show in Hollister today. It's part of a huge annual congregration of motorcyclists ( 50K this year ) into Hollister CA. The classic movie " The Wild One " is based on past happenings there .

I had a great time at this wonderful event with so many cool vintage, custom and unique motorcycles and motorcyclists. The Corbin facility ( custom motorcycle seat manufacturer ) was incredible and the vendor exhibits were interesting and first rate. It was great to spend time with Craig, meet Mike Corbin and many of our fellow exhibitors and the event attendees. One of our Ninjette forum members was there and mentioned seeing my bike on here.

As I was just getting ready to leave one of the show judges stopped me and asked me to wait a few more minutes for the Show winners to be announced. I did and I was surprised to receive 2 awards : an Innovation Award and another for Best High Mileage. What a treat!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 Corbin MC show 004.jpg (116.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2013 Corbin MC show 032.jpg (174.7 KB, 6 views)
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old July 5th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #162
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice going Vic!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2013, 10:01 PM   #163
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Congrats! Well done!
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 04:36 AM   #164
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
I got an invitation through Craig Vetter to show my streamliner at the Corbin Bike Show in Hollister today............................As I was just getting ready to leave one of the show judges stopped me and asked me to wait a few more minutes for the Show winners to be announced. I did and I was surprised to receive 2 awards : an Innovation Award and another for Best High Mileage. What a treat!
Two "wild" awards !!! ............. Well deserved !!!

Congratulations, Vic
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 05:55 AM   #165
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Way to go !

Old July 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #166
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Congrats on the awards

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #167
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks !! The crowds there were mostly cruiser, chopper and custom bike riders, but lots of people were interested in the streamliners and a cool electric bike that was next to us. Still, I was a bit stunned to receive the recognition from the judges. The next best part of the day was when I fired up my bike to head home and passing through the crowd as they stared, pointed and snapped cellphone pix.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013 Corbin MC show 019.jpg (131.9 KB, 10 views)

Old July 7th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #168
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Congratulations Vic.

Old July 7th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #169
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks Jeff!

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #170
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Tomorrow morning I'll roll my streamliner onto my trailer and head for the AMA Vintage Days at the Mid Ohio racetrack for the next Vetter Fuel Economy Chaslleng on the morning of July 19. . I was 2nd overall and best gasoline-powered bike last year with 119 mpg, hopefullty I'll do as well this year. Wish me luck!

I'll be heading East on I-80 and will be stopping in Salt Lake City on Sunday to drop off some aero parts for JeffM. I should in the Columbus OH area on Wed. or early Thurs. I'll be at the AMA Vintage Days event until Sunday morning, then I depart for Georgetown KY and a couple of days work there. If you are going to the AMA Vintage Days or are in the OH/KY area send me a PM if you want ot meet. I met Sendler there jast year and Chone may drop by. Its always great to meet my on-line friends in person.

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #171
JeffM
Mr. 988

Vic, looking foreword to seeing you on Sunday.

Yes, I'm going aerodynamic. Stay tuned.

Jeff

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #172
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Good luck

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #173
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
oh! Right, I need to respond to your PM! oops! Still planning on coming Friday afaik. Not yet sure if car or bike, and not yet sure if during afternoon or evening.

Old July 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #174
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks guys, Looking forward to it! Chris text me your cellphone # when you get a chance.

Old July 28th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #175
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

I got back home yesterday after my 2 week trip to Ohio for the Mid-Ohio round of the Vetter Challenge and some work in Georgetown KY. It was a great trip with my best CHallenge performance yet ( 130.7 mpg ), success in the work project and minimal troubles on the long trip out and back. The Mid-Ohio Challenge field was bigger, better and filled with elite competitors and new friends. It was great to see the return of the 3-wheeled HIckey Hyper Rocket and the strong involvement of the Virginia Tech team.
I had a great time there and got to meet and visit with some of my forum friends including Sendler and Chone.
Soon, I'll get to work on continuing to refine my bike; I was only .23 gallons short for the 153 mile distance of winning the overall title. The next round of the Vetter Challenge will in Las Vegas on Oct. 20.

Old July 28th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #176
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........I had a great time there and got to meet and visit with some of my forum friends including Sendler and Chone...........

Kudos to you, challenging and adventurous sir !!!

Old July 28th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #177
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nicely done Vic!! Good luck in October!

Old July 28th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #178
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks guys!!!

Old September 9th, 2013, 02:06 PM   #179
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

I had been busy since getting back from the Mid-Ohio Vetter Challenge and hadn't ridden the streamlliner much since the competition. This week I worked on a couple of refinements: a new bellypan and I raised the windscreen so that the passing air wouldn't hit my shoulders. I finally hit reserve today after more than 400 miles on this tankfill. I completed my errands and refueled: 437.3 miles/3.79 gal. of fuel for a result of 115mpg.

The weather has been hot here and the engine temperature got past halfway after a 50mile ride. I may need to open up the air inlet in the nose for long uphill runs in hot weather . The next competition is Las Vegas next month but it probably won't be super hot then. Alan Smith and I are planning to do a some testing with our streamliners later this month and we hope to produce some good results.

Old September 9th, 2013, 04:39 PM   #180
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........I finally hit reserve today after more than 400 miles on this tankfill. I completed my errands and refueled: 437.3 miles/3.79 gal. of fuel for a result of 115mpg.

For cooling airplane engines, the outlet area is made 2 ~ 3 times bigger than the inlet and NACA scoops are used to generate more suction effect with minimum drag increase.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACA_duct

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/nacaduct/naca-duct.htm

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:18 PM   #181
JeffM
Mr. 988

@greenaero 115 mpg is awesome Vic.

@Motofool Cool stuff (pun intended)

P.s. I have mounted my main bulkhead and glued-up the main stringers. I should have the frame built up by next weekend. Vic, did you have to shorten your chain to run 15/39 gearing?

Jeff

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #182
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hernan, thanks! you are the man!!

Jeff, thanks! How is the stiffness of your tail framework? I have 2 additional bulkheads in my tail framework. You have to be sure it rigid enough to survive the strong wind forces it will encounter.
I did have to remove some links from my chain when I went to 39 and then 33 tooth rear sprockets. I will need to also do this to my other bike that I'm running with 15/41 sprockets on. I'm temporarily running it with some spacers between the chain adjusters and rear flanges.

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #183
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Jeff, thanks! How is the stiffness of your tail framework? I have 2 additional bulkheads in my tail framework. You have to be sure it rigid enough to survive the strong wind forces it will encounter.
When I am done, I will have a main, mid, and tail bulkhead like yours. I plan on some diagonal stiffeners to triangulate between the bulkheads.

Thanks for the info.,

Jeff

Old September 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #184
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Alan and I did our test loop today and I got a personal best: 106.7 miles on
.728 gal. = 146.6 mpg! I had added a new bellypan and had raised the back of my windscreen slightly.

I compete in the Las Vegas Vetter Challenge on 10/17 so this is very promising.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slingshots & Ninja ride 004.jpg (106.0 KB, 12 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #185
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
Alan and I did our test loop today and I got a personal best: 106.7 miles on
.728 gal. = 146.6 mpg!

I compete in the Las Vegas Vetter Challenge on 10/17 so this is very promising.
Very promising Vic. I am shooting for anything over 90mpg as a starting point. You guys are really pushing the limits for mpg for a 250 (Or are you? ).

What further refinements do you think will have to be done to get over 150mpg?

Hope to see you guys in Vegas but I'm not sure I'll have the bike finished in time. We'll see.

Jeff

Old September 29th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #186
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Thanks Jeff! I think engine tuning like Alan is pursuing is the next big area for improvement after reducing air drag and taller gearing. 119 mpg on a bike with minimal aero improvements is amazing. Las Vegas will be interesting as no gasoline-poweted bike has ever broken a 100 mpg in competition there.
I wish we were closer to you and could give you a hand getting your streamlining finished. Hopefully we will see you there.

Old October 15th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #187
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Since the Las Vegas Vetter Challenge was cancelled due to Craig Vetter’s issues with recovering from his recent hip surgery , Alan and I decided to ride out on our streamliners and visit him at home in Carmel. We also decided to have an unofficial Challenge of our own by comparing our fuel economy for the 240 mile+ round trip. We met at the Cycle Gear parking lot in Pleasanton and headed for Carmel in the brutal commute traffic between Pleasanton and San Jose. We moved through the traffic with some frequent lane sharing and then rode for a while on the 680 HOV lane. The weather was a bit cool at the start but warmed up to the 70s by the time we reached Carmel. Once we broke through the traffic congestion it was a nice ride to the beautiful Monterey coastline.
It was great to see Craig doing so well after his major surgery. He had been in constant pain previously and now the surgery had relieved it for the first time in many years. He has to avoid putting too much load on his newly repaired hip for the first 6 weeks after his surgery so he has to spend most of his time in bed or sitting. However we did get a hall pass to take him to lunch. Terry Hershner of cross-country electric motorcycle record-breaking fame and Craig’s son Zak joined us. We talked about lots of things: the rapid progress with electric motorcycles, some new aerodynamic refinements proposed by our new friend Tom Finch and Terry’s upcoming attempt to recapture his electric motorcycle coast to coast record. We enjoyed a great lunch and then reported back to Craig’s shop to do some work on Terry’s new long tail.
Initially the plan was to just apply some vinyl wrap to the treated paper skin of the tail extension but we ended up removing the skin, adding some frame members and re-skinning the tail. Alan and I had to head back home before the job was completed.
Traffic was bad in spots but we made steady progress back home. I stopped at the gas station to refuel and found that I had used 2.32 gallons to go the 246.9 miles for 106.42 mpg. I still have to see what Alan got. It was a great day all in all.

Old October 16th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #188
JeffM
Mr. 988

Good job gentlemen . I bet Vic loved the company.

Jeff

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #189
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

And so did Craig!

Old October 16th, 2013, 11:59 AM   #190
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
And so did Craig!
Oops, meant to say Craig...

Old October 16th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #191
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........It was a great day all in all.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:33 PM   #192
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Happy New Year, I finally needed to refuel today, this tankfill I went 361.9 miles and used 3.73 gallons for 96.8 mpg. Not bad for lots of short rides, cold weather and winter blend gasoline. In 2013 I rode 2786.5 miles and used 24.8 gallons of fuel for 112.4 mpg.
I'll have see how many miles I rode my other Ninjette this past year. Trailering my moto to Ohio this summer for the competition there definitely kept my mileage down for this year.

Old January 3rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #193
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
...........for 96.8 mpg.............for 112.4 mpg............
Simply unbelievable

Old June 19th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #194
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

The Mid-OHio Vetter Challenge will be happening on July 11th so it's time I startted getting ready for it . I need to fix a tail support bracket, check the tuning on the streamliner and do some testing on some more detail refinements . I also need to fix my trailer as I'll probably trailer the streamliner out to Ohio again this year rather than ride. I got 130 mpg last year ( good for 4th overall, 3rd for gassoline powered) and hope to do better this year. Competition will be tough with Fred Hayes( Diesel powered ) and Terry Hershner ( electric ) showing great potential for the overall win. Also other top tier competitors like Alan Smith, Craig Vetter, John Hickey, and Dale Van de Ven will be there as well as other premier motorcycle hypermilers. It'll be fun and I can hardly wait to get out there!

Old June 19th, 2014, 12:33 PM   #195
JeffM
Mr. 988

Quote:
I'll probably trailer the streamliner out to Ohio again this year rather than ride.
Vic, any chance you might stop by my abode to say hello and see how my bike is coming along?

Jeff

Old June 19th, 2014, 02:07 PM   #196
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Hey Jeff! Sure ! It would great to see you again and check out your streamlining efforts. We'll figure it out as it gets closer to my departure.
all the best, Vic

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #197
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

I got back from my trip to the 2014 Vetter Fuel Economy Challenge at Mid-Ohio on 7/17 and then I had to go on a work trip out of state. I got back late on 7/23 and now have some time to report on what happened.

First the good news: my buddy Alan Smith won the overall title and conventional fuels crown with an incredidble 181 mpg run! I finished third overall and second in conventional fuels. Fred Hayes , the defending champ finished second overall and won the alternative fuel class with a 176 mpg run. Dr. Richard Goff went 137 miles ( 17 miles short of finishing ) to win the electric class. Ninja power ruled the day!!!

The bad news( not too bad ), I was the only top finisher to not improve on his performance from the previous year. I got only 127 mpg while last year I got 131 mpg. I think the primary factor was that after I arrived in Ohio my tailsection began to droop and cause some slight contact with the rear wheel. I lacked the resources to fix it completely and just did the best I could. I'm disappointed in the mpg result but I'm pleased that I still got a respectable finish out of it.

I compromised this year and trailed my streamliner from norCal to Missouri where and met Alan and another friend and rode out together to Mid-Ohio ( anothe 700 miles) . I had a great time on the ride there and back as well as at the Challenge and the AMA Vintage Days event.

I have some work to do in preparation for the next Vetter Challenge in Wendover Utah on 8/29. I need to fix my tailsection, sidestand
base and attend to some other minor issues.

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #198
JeffM
Mr. 988

Good report Vic. See you in Wendover. Are you going to ride there?

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #199
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
8/29 this year? Or next? Heck if you'll be that close, I want to pop over to meet you guys and see these incredible machines you are crafting!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #200
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

@JeffM, I'm very sorry I didn't get a chance to visit with you on the way there and back, I got squeezed for time and took the southern route to Missouri. I'll be riding to Wendover and look forward to seeing you and your streamliner there!

@NevadaWolf: Yes, 8/29/2014. It would be great to meet you in person and hopefully you can join us in the Vetter Challenge. All motorcycles are invited to ride with us even if they can't carry the required 4 paper sack cargo. I'm a bit prejudiced but I think it's a pretty cool event. It should be even more special with the close proximity of the LSR streamliners.