ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Passion Red Ninja 250R

Way to turn headlights off?

Ok, I'm sure I will get bombarded with critisism, either way here is my question....

Is there any way to mod the headlight wiring or relay so that in the lowbeam switch position neither bulb (hi or low) is on and to make both the high and low beam work when the switch is in the high beam position?

Obviously, stock, both high and low beams are on in the high beam switch position. Essentially, I want to be able to run the bike with no headlight when in the low beam position.

The plan is to do an HID projector retrofit to the headlight housing and add some white and/or red Halo eyes. During the daytime, I want to be able to ride the bike with just the halo eyes on and no headlights in the low beam switch position and no halos and both HID's on in the high beam position. So if anyone knows how to make the halos work only on the low beam switch position that would help too.

I know that there are reasons why the low beam is always on (laws, visibility, etc). However, I plan on using the halo eyes as running lights. Been scouring RetrofitSource.com for what exactly I want. Also, gonna call MAtt over at retrosource and see what he recommends as far as the proper components.

P.S.
I tried searching already but couldn't find any info other then people having this problem by accident and needing to fix it.
Dat_Ninja_There is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Check out Eastern Beaver. They make a lot of different harnesses for headlights. You should be able to find something that would work there.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Produc...s/h4_kits.html
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 06:50 PM   #3
nightmarechevy
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ZX6R

You could cut the power wire going to the low beam and tie the end going to the low beam to a relay triggered by the high beam to send the voltage. I would highly recommend running a headlight to help be seen though, even in the day. You would also lose your low beams at night unless you always planned to run high beams.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #4
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

i believe the headlight relay is powered on by the alternator output and is "locked" on untill the ignition is switched off. I guess if you were to replace that relay with a normal spst relay, and instead of using the alt output for trigger, use a separate switch (like this) wired to battery with fuse, and place next to the oem head light switch, this way you can turn it on manually, and switch from low to high.

hope that makes sense
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #5
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

The only other options I have come across on some other bike forums is to have two independent switches. On to manually turn on/off halos at will and one to manually turn on/off low beam at will.

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

whoops, didn't read the part on wanting the halos off with headlights on. i guess you can wire you can wire in a spdt relay, coil wired to ignition on (terminal 85 and 86), and throw switch wired to the handlebar switch that turns the headlights on, so battery + to terminal 30, and connect + for halo to terminal 87a. this way when bike is on headlights off, halo's are on, when u flip the switch to turn on headlights, halo's go off and headlights go on.

i think.....

Old January 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

I'm a newb when it comes to relays. Although, I am mechanically inclined, learn fast and do lots of research before attempting anything. Not to mention I'm going to buy a used head light to perform the retrofit on. That way if i F it up, I still have my old housing.

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #8
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Not a criticism per say, just wanted to point out that red showing to the front is virtually guaranteeing being pulled over and ticketed. It's one of the colors absolutely forbidden showing to the front.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Not a criticism per say, just wanted to point out that red showing to the front is virtually guaranteeing being pulled over and ticketed. It's one of the colors absolutely forbidden showing to the front.
Yes I realize this as well. Two of my neighbors are local cops. So I know most the cops here. They're cool as far as cops go :$ Most cops here (McKinney) dont give you grief about that stuff. They just care about speeding and driving like a jackass Now DPD are a-holes, so thats why I might go with the switch option so I could turn of the halos anytime as well.

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

heres a simple setup, one switch turn on headlights and turn off halos, halos come on with ignition switch, or replace with with a manual switch, this way you can set it and forget it, and if trouble arises, flip off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headlight_halowiring.jpg (21.5 KB, 16 views)

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Asspire, thanks. Unfortunately, I'm a newb when it comes to relays and reading schematics. I have done a lot of automotive wiring in the past but usually small stuff or by following step-by-step walk throughs lol. Does the above schematic use existing stock relays and headlight switch?

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #12
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

kinda. this setup will allow you to use the original headlight switch to control high beam/low beam. then you would need another separate switch to turn it the lights on and off (some thing like this). this setup will basically use one switch to control two lights. you would basically replace the oem headlight relay with a spst (single pole single throw, local auto parts will have them every where) relay. but instead of connecting terminal 85 to alternator output, you would hook it up to a switched battery + output. then you would need another relay (single pole, dual throw, again very common), wired to the the new switch.

I know it sounds confusing, it was for me the first time, i'll take some pics tomorrow on the bike to give you an idea of what wires go where.

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Thanks bro

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #14
Dat_Ninja_There
Shinobi Rider

Funny thing is I'm more intimidated by the wiring of the halos and headlights the way I want, then I am of doing the retrofit of the projectors, tearing apart of housing, etc.

Last futzed with by Dat_Ninja_There; January 11th, 2012 at 11:51 PM.

Old January 12th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
my bike has a headlight kill line tied to the starter button. i have a way of twisting my broken starter button to activate the headlight kill and put the bike in "stealth mode" (no headlight or tail light).... great for ditching someone trying to follow you at night

Old January 12th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Check out the connector coming from the head light switch. The schematic says theres a wire coming from the switch for Low beam they dont use. R/Y, would be a nice +12 for the halos on Low beam position. When you go to High beam, halos would be off.
To power both hids on High, Use the HB +12 for both.
Of course the halos would power up on the normal head light circuit. Seems like most dudes like all that stuff coming on sitting in a parking lot
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM   #17
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Whoops, looks like i made a mistake. took another look at the wiring diagram, there's two diodes connected to the relay that supply power. one diode is powered from the alternator, so when the bike is started it sends power to the relay, once on, the switch side sends power thru the second diode back to the coil of the relay. which is why the lights come on when started and stay on till the ignition is turned off.

i'm not expert in electrical stuff, but my guess is that if you cut/disconnect the blue/yellow wire going to diode B and cut the red wire coming from diode B and connect it to a switched +, that would make the headlights come on manually and retain the oem hi/low switch. the halo relay can connect to these same wires. so all you need is actually 1 spdt relay instead of 2.

hope that makes sense. although i'd double check with someone who knows electrical to verify.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08ninja250wiring.jpg (139.6 KB, 14 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08ninja250wiring.pdf (3.52 MB, 9 views)

Last futzed with by Asspire; January 12th, 2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added diagram