ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
madeuce1006
ninjette.org member

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2011 honda cbr 250r

Conflicted

Hi all, This will probably be a strange post but here goes. I don't have a bike yet and have never ridden one. Motorcycling is something I have wanted to do for a long time but only very recently gotten the green light (wife). When I began reading and seeing the ninja 250 it wasn't long before I decided that was the bike for me hence how I ended up here.
I have taken the path to ownership very slow. Not hard to do since the bike is very difficult to find around here. In any case, I signed up for the MSF course and began reading as much as I could about motorcycle handling safety gear etc.
Yesterday an incident occurred that really made me think a little harder. I was on my way back to work from a business trip. Coming off the interstate I was passing an intersection and noticed a suv barrell assin into the turn lane on the opposite side. He was making a left turn to go onto the interstate. I immediately began to break. Fortunately barrell assin SUV screeched to a halt before crossing. Accident avoided and dad continues on to the office to finish the day....except.. I kept thinking about the incident and wondering....what if..
On a MC the scenario presents few good options.
In any case, I won't say the dream is dead but the chrome isn't as shiny. I take the MSF course next week so I guess I'll wait and see how I feel then. Not sure what I am looking for with posting this other than just getting it off my chest...
madeuce1006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #2
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Yeah, I see how an incident like that would make you think twice about riding, but here is the thing you are exposed to anything every time you are out there on a vehicle. I felt the same way about driving when I started, My very first solo drive, with my brand spanking new license some dude ran a red light and almost killed me, after that I did not drive for a week; I realized that I would be missing on my own mobile independence if I did not overcame my doubts, so I decided that I would be more alert and careful and be prepared to accept the fact that risks are everywhere. I say step out of your comfort zone, take the MSF and start riding in safe, not highly transited areas, gradually phase yourself into traffic as you feel more comfortable with it and your riding abilities.

TL: DR, Risk is everywhere wether it be a bike or a car, I fear for my life everyday but it wont deter me from enjoying something I really have been looking forward all my life.

Last futzed with by cerberusrex25; June 11th, 2011 at 12:35 PM.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #3
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Like cerberusrex25 said, risk is everywhere. Start out slow.

Remember, after your MSF you are fully qualified to ride a motorcycle..in a parking lot. That's what your experience level is. Never ride somewhere you're not comfortable with. Develop your skills, take it slow and be safe. When you ride you develop a completely different perspective of traffic and look at other drivers in a different light. Always expect people to make dumb moves and not see you, this will basically force your mind to create more space between drivers.

In situations like you described the best way to handle it on a bike is DON'T PANIC. Ride with technique, if you jam on your breaks and fixate on one potential hazard you can potentially create more hazards you're not aware of (like losing track of what's behind you). Intersections are major accident factors for motorcycles. I can't tell you how many "close calls" I've had when turning with a protected green and a driver was on the opposite side trying to turn right on red or approaching the light as if they're preparing to turn without stopping. Experience will greatly help when dealing with situations like this. Scan opposing lanes, look for hazards, identify them and approach with caution and expecting them to turn out. If you're expecting it, you're already preparing to make a emergency maneuver.

Your MSF instructors will be (rather SHOULD be) experienced riders. Bring this up in your classroom time and ask their advice on ways to handle this situation. Your MSF class will be a learning experience, treat it as one and ask questions.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
TL: DR, Risk is everywhere wether it be a bike or a car, I fear for my life everyday but it wont deter me from enjoying something I really have been looking forward all my life.

Pray... Life is short... Live now and enjoy...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Even before your class, you can start reading and learning how to be a better defensive driver (and it transfers to your car driving skills as well!)
Check out Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It's GREAT at giving you tips to use and things to think about before you start riding!
Yes, left turners are our biggest danger on 2-wheels, but in most cases, it's easy to see them and be prepared before they see you (which sometimes, they never do). Don't let it stop you from at least doing some reading/research, and enjoy that MSF class!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #6
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

On my way home from buying my first bike, a lady in a suburban didn't check her mirrors when she changed lanes. She swerved right at me until I literally smacked her window with my fist then she swerved back to her original position. There's always risk riding any vehicle, it just depends on whether or not your prepared to deal with situations. You just have to decide if the fun of riding is worth the added risk, I'll give you a hint the answer starts with a "Y".
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

wtf is "barrell assin" SUV?
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #8
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
wtf is "barrell assin" SUV?
Someone with a large, barrel proportioned ass in a suv?
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #9
madeuce1006
ninjette.org member

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2011 honda cbr 250r

Barrell assin means moving very fast and recklessly. I guess you have to be from polk county Fla to get that one. Sorry.

I actually have PROFICIENT MOTORCYCLING and have found it to be great source material. Much of it is relevant to any type of driving especially dealing with intersections and urban driving in general. I try to run through mental drills for trouble spots locally using the tips in the book.

I am very comfortable driving a stick shift and have never been in an accident (driving since 1986). As to close calls, sure I have them. I wouldn't say it happens very often or is excessive.
madeuce1006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I'm not gonna lie to you. If you get on a motorcycle there's a possibility that you'll die...or worse...lose a few limbs. The real question is: can you live the rest of your life without taking the chance?
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #11
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

I dont have a motorcycle but i want one. To be honest, you can't run away from danger. You have natural disasters, criminals, you can get hit by a stupid driver just crossing the street, etc. You have to enjoy life have fun doing what you want while you still can and if you enjoy motorcycles get on one fully geared up and be carefull. :]
rusninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
If you read the various motorcycle safety studies (I've got the results summarized in my blog), you'll find that a majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by the error of the rider and that most of the rest, even those caused by the car, can be avoided by a thoughtful rider. This is frustrating that cyclists are generally so unskilled, but it actually gives me quite a bit of comfort.

This is really the theme of the Proficient Motorcycling books. The fact that you are concerned about this, and reading Proficient Motorcycling, tells me that you are going to be a thoughtful rider. While one can never eliminate risk - there are some accidents that just can't be prevented and the reality is that you are more vulnerable on a motorcycle - with preparation, good gear and a reasonable riding style, one can minimize it such that you can feel comfortable riding in relative safety.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #13
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

having manual transmission experience does help but it is NOT the most important thing during a emergency situation

just remember NEVER grab the brakes, gently squeeze it (with the clutch of course)
and if you feel that the bike is going away from you, clutch in, cuts power immediately so you can roll off throttle
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #14
ichibunkid.206
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
If you read the various motorcycle safety studies (I've got the results summarized in my blog), This is frustrating that cyclists are generally so unskilled...
I have to agree, and could never figure out why a car drivers Ed. class was like three or four weeks long, and the MSF course was only 2-1/2 days long...

Especially when a motorcycle operator was more exposed, and vulnerable then a automobile operator in an accident...