ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #81
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

~Update~

So I decided to ditch the bean cans and got a Sigma bicycle computer.

I used these instructions... http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Install...cycle_computer

I put in my current mileage from the stock speedo.

And it works wonderfully. Much better than what I had. I checked it with my GPS and it was dead on. No error.

Stay tuned more updates in the upcoming weeks/months.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #82
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Another Update

Drained the gas tank yesterday and started sanding. Continued sanding today.

Now I just need to cut the upper fairing holder off. And then sand that area down to metal so I can bondo up that hole. Then just spray some primer and sand and paint and repeat. And then a clear coat. It is going to be white by the way.

Also did this. (Not done)

I am going to cut off the tab on the frame from where the handle mounted. And all other unnecessary things.

And I started sanding the extra swingarm that I got with the frame I bought. I am going to paint it black and then put a clear coat on it. Will probably be doing the same on my rearsets. Also plan on painting the headlight bucket flat black.

Old July 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #83
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yay! More progress!!!

Ok, I think your bike is cleaner than mine
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #84
walty87
ninjette.org guru

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250

You're bike looks sweet dude! Put some clip on handlebars tho!
walty87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 07:08 AM   #85
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Having done so much with the gauges, perhaps you could tell everyone what color wires do what. It would really help with my Koso gauge install (colors on my harness do not conform to Koso's description of Kawasaki stuff).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM   #86
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Having done so much with the gauges, perhaps you could tell everyone what color wires do what. It would really help with my Koso gauge install (colors on my harness do not conform to Koso's description of Kawasaki stuff).

Yeah I can do my best...

But it would be hard to describe since some wire colors are used twice.

Do you not have the stock gauges to go off of??

I didn't modify the wiring with the gauges I made. I left it all stock but just removed the indicator dash lights. Neutral, Oil pressure, high beam, turn indicators. I left the gauge back lights in so I could read the gauges at night.

I was planning on cutting the wires to remove the things I wasn't using but they are all interconnected. It confused me. So the wiring is all stock. So I am really no help. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you don't have the stock gauges to look off of.

Old July 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM   #87
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Yeah I can do my best...

But it would be hard to describe since some wire colors are used twice.

Do you not have the stock gauges to go off of??

I didn't modify the wiring with the gauges I made. I left it all stock but just removed the indicator dash lights. Neutral, Oil pressure, high beam, turn indicators. I left the gauge back lights in so I could read the gauges at night.

I was planning on cutting the wires to remove the things I wasn't using but they are all interconnected. It confused me. So the wiring is all stock. So I am really no help. I can take a picture of where the wires go if you don't have the stock gauges to look off of.
I have the original gauge but there's a row of terminals and I don't know which wires does what. I need to know things like power, ground, signal, tach, temp, etc.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #88
Jono

Bondo/Sanding/Priming

Just got done spraying some primer on the tank. Will probably sand it either tomorrow or Friday then put a few coats of paint on Saturday. I will be using my brothers HPLV spray gun with Rustoleum oil based paint. Gonna use this... http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=130 in Gloss White. And I am not doing a clear coat.

Not sure if I will need to thin the paint or not. I will have to play around with it.

And in the bottom pic you can see my painted swingarm. I used Rustoleum spray on truck bed liner. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=367 It seems tough but only time will tell.

Last futzed with by Jono; August 1st, 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:42 AM   #89
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

A single drop of gasoline will ruin your paint job. You really should invest in a good layer of poly-urethane clear coat. Good job so far
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #90
Jono

First coat of paint.

I decided to use spray paint. I was too lazy to use the HVLP gun. Haha. It is looking great already. I will be wet sanding this coat on Monday then adding a second coat. May only need 2 coats, we'll see.. And I will be spraying a clear coat on the tank and the fairings. It isn't that much more work and it does give the paint some protection.

Old August 10th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #91
Jono

Pretty much finished

Here she is all put back together. I will wax and buff the paint in like a month to get a better finish. But it looks purty dang good if you ask me. Order Woodcraft clipons and they should be here Monday. Hopefully they work great. Apparently not many folks use clipons on the pregen. And I will most likely get the A&L Motorsports rearset adjusters. And I will paint my rearsets black like the passenger ones.

Old August 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #92
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Nice work! I'm not sure if it would look nice, but have you thought about repainting the radiator screen/cover? I think they make high temp white and they make high temp clear coat if you want to try.

Old August 10th, 2012, 11:20 PM   #93
Jono

@Monkeytofu

I did think about it but thought it might look tacky. I don't want the radiator popping out (visually) from the bike more than it already does. Plus, it would likely chip and get bug splats on it and start looking terrible. So I most likely won't be painting it.

Old August 10th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #94
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
@Monkeytofu

I did think about it but thought it might look tacky. I don't want the radiator popping out (visually) from the bike more than it already does. Plus, it would likely chip and get bug splats on it and start looking terrible. So I most likely won't be painting it.
That makes sense. How is vibration now that you removed your bar ends? I'm sure it'll be different once you use clip ons, but I'm wondering if I ever have to replace mine.

Old August 11th, 2012, 08:07 AM   #95
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeytofu View Post
That makes sense. How is vibration now that you removed your bar ends? I'm sure it'll be different once you use clip ons, but I'm wondering if I ever have to replace mine.
It is definitely noticeable that they are gone. After longer rides my hands are still buzzing when I am off the bike for a while. It's not a huge deal and you do get used to it. I am curious to see how the clip-ons do. I got new grips to use when I install them, which may also make a difference. I got these... http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/p...s-gel-grip-719 So maybe the gel will help with dispersing the vibrations. I'll let you know.

Old August 13th, 2012, 08:42 AM   #96
TBC
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250F

That looks awesome mate! Good job.
TBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #97
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
mmmm

This is what I'll do if I wreck ever. Only green.

You need a Muzzy/Area P Quiet Core to get rid of those nasty stock headers.

Old August 20th, 2012, 11:50 PM   #98
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
mmmm

Eh, the dual exhausts seem to balance out motorcycle's visually. They're way better than single exhausts IMO

Old August 24th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #99
Jono

Quote:
mmmm

Hahaha.

Yeah I am gonna keep the stock exhaust and headers. There is no reason to spend that kind of money for a worse sounding and looking exhaust. I like the proportional stock exhausts. Plus they kinda hide the dinky little swingarm. Oh and did I mention this bike doesn't have a nice exhaust tone. Why would I want to amplify that noise.

I need to take a updated picture. I've had the clipons on the bike for a while now and love em! Won't ever go back to the standard riding position for as long as my body lets me. With clipons the bike feels like a supersport. It is schweeeet!

Old August 25th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #100
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
No, you need to hear it with a full set of headers. especially with the Quiet Core can.

It's the volume of stock to everyone else, but with the rumbliness of an aftermarket exhaust. Trust me dude. I was totally blown away by how quiet and amazing the quiet core system was.

The exhaust that sounds bad are the slip-ons that use the stock headers and amplify the hollow tone so it sounds brappy and shallow.

Old August 25th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #101
Jono

@choneofakind Do you have any quality videos of said exhaust. But even if it doesn't sound bad, the cost is what puts me off.

Old August 26th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #102
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah I can get them uploaded sometime this week when I'm not busy. Cliche here, but exhaust videos never really get all the sounds. They tend to ignore the low stuff.

But I'll get it to you

Old August 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #103
Jono

Yeah I know that exhaust videos never capture the true sound but they give you a decent idea of what it sounds like in person. I'll be looking forward to seeing your vids.

Old August 28th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #104
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

You're bike looks sweet!

If you decide to clear coat it.. Use a NON-Yellowing clear coat.

Not sure if you know that or not, but I found out the hard way lol..

Nice Job on the Bike!!
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #105
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrya5 View Post
You're bike looks sweet!

If you decide to clear coat it.. Use a NON-Yellowing clear coat.

Not sure if you know that or not, but I found out the hard way lol..

Nice Job on the Bike!!

Thanks!

I did end up putting a couple coats of clear coat down. I used this stuff... http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=166 It says it's non-yellowing.

Old August 28th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #106
conrya5
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Metalic Island Blue Ninja 250r

Yeah that stuff works nice.

Here is what happened to mine, the first time I painted it..

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but the difference was night and day in person. I had no clue that certain clear coats had that effect on light colors.
conrya5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #107
Jono

Oh man that is bad! I am glad I did a little research before putting clear coat on my paint. I would have been pissed if I ruined my paint job by putting on a bad clear coat.

Old September 1st, 2012, 06:44 PM   #108
Jono

~Pics of the clip-ons!~

Then right after taking these pics I rolled the bike into the garage to park it. Well, like a total noob I ended up dropping the bike. First time I had ever done that. It destroyed my clear-coat instantly and my mirror broke off. Oh and the front end needs to be realigned. But the gas tank took most of the damage. Dented the left side of the tank which cause the paint to crack. I was so pissed!!! I spent so much time painting it, and now I have to try and fix it. Good thing Monday is Labor day and I have the whole day to hopefully fix everything. Well except the mirror. That's a goner.

I tell ya what, dropping your bike is such a terrible feeling. You know it's going down and you have little time or ability to save it. If I was on the bike this would have never happened. But I just hoped off to put down the center stand. One of my not so smart decisions. Good thing the little ninja is a great beginner bike and takes it like a boss. It's stupid little mistakes like these that remind me I am no where near ready to get a SS. I think my clumsy self needs a supermoto because they can take the abuse.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #109
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
I tell ya what, dropping your bike is such a terrible feeling. You know it's going down and you have little time or ability to save it. If I was on the bike this would have never happened. But I just hoped off to put down the center stand. One of my not so smart decisions. Good thing the little ninja is a great beginner bike and takes it like a boss. It's stupid little mistakes like these that remind me I am no where near ready to get a SS. I think my clumsy self needs a supermoto because they can take the abuse.
It doesn't look like you're ready for a bike with fairings either. You weren't kidding when you said you would just wreck it again. Anyhow, you might think about getting some frame sliders for it. At least that way it wont mess it up as bad when you drop it.

Another option is to sell it and get a cruiser. You'll probably drop that even more, but at least it wont make me feel bad.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:20 PM   #110
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Awwww be nice! I've had mine tip over in the driveway twice and was able to baby it over both times.

We all drop our bike at some point, just wait for your drop to come.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:15 PM   #111
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
It doesn't look like you're ready for a bike with fairings either. You weren't kidding when you said you would just wreck it again. Anyhow, you might think about getting some frame sliders for it. At least that way it wont mess it up as bad when you drop it.

Another option is to sell it and get a cruiser. You'll probably drop that even more, but at least it wont make me feel bad.

Whoa, Easy tiger. **** happens. I was trying to park it a different way in the garage than I normally would. Which was a bad decision. I had very little room between the bike and the car to put down the centerstand. And I lost the balance point of the bike because I was not sitting on it. And it started falling over to the side of the bike I was not on. I couldn't stop it from falling at that point.

And yes, like I told you before, I am sure I will somehow damage the bike again in the future. But I don't care. This bike is to learn on. I am still a noob. This bike can take a beating and come back from it. One of the reasons I am starting out on it. And guess what. I fixed the bike today in just a couple hours. Sanded down the clearcoat and sprayed on a coat of paint. Will spray on the clearcoat tomorrow and it will look just as good as it did before the drop.

Oh and I will never own a cruiser. I am going the dual sport route for my next bike, whenever that may be. They can take a beating even better than my little ninjette!

Quote:
Awwww be nice! I've had mine tip over in the driveway twice and was able to baby it over both times.

Thanks for having my back Chris! Like you said at some point everybody's bike goes down, It's just a matter of time.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:19 PM   #112
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Well, *knocks desk* luckily none of mine have been moving drops yet. I've done that on a mountain bike a bunch, ending up in the hospital this summer, and I'd rather not repeat that at anything resembling speed on the ninjette...

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:45 PM   #113
n4mwd

Well Jono, I think if your bike was human, they would have arrested you for domestic violence by now. I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble like that. You've been riding for a while now so I don't think you qualify as a newbie any more. I do agree that a dual-sport would be a really good choice for you. Like you said, they are pretty much made to go down.

Yes, I have dropped my bike in motion when I was learning to ride. Not much fun. The bike suffered minor injuries as a result. I also dropped it when sprinklers at a shopping center came on unexpectedly, blew off a sprinkler and knocked me and the bike down. It was a big sprinkler.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got it repaired again. Its actually starting to look nice.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:49 PM   #114
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
It was a big sprinkler.

that's like whenever a character on a sitcom gets chased by a wimpy dog and says, "what? it was a big dog!"

sorry. Just reminded me of funny tv moments. that's all

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #115
n4mwd

Why do you have a dunce cap instead of your usual frog avatar? What did you do to deserve that?

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM   #116
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I posted a picture of my overly-masculine (yeah right ) self in the ladies picture thread. Then Alex came in to say that we had to get on topic and the next person to not post a lady picture got eh dunce cap, so of course, I entered with this (not very zingy) zinger:
Quote:

I dare you Alex.
The response was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
and suddenly my avatar was changed to:

I thought it was funny, so I kept it.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:28 PM   #117
10spokess
600 what?

Name: Dylan

Motorcycle(s): Soon to be Ninja 250R

How did it turn out?
10spokess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:24 PM   #118
Jono

Quote:
Well Jono, I think if your bike was human, they would have arrested you for domestic violence by now. I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble like that. You've been riding for a while now so I don't think you qualify as a newbie any more. I do agree that a dual-sport would be a really good choice for you. Like you said, they are pretty much made to go down.

Anyhow, I'm glad you got it repaired again. Its actually starting to look nice.

Well good thing she isn't human huh? Well I haven't been riding for that long. Less than a year actually. I only have a little more than 4,000 miles under my belt. I didn't ride for like 4 and a half months after I crashed. I would consider myself a noob. Maybe after I get to a trackday I will stop considering myself as such but until then I am just a beginner.

And it was just an accident. It could have been easily avoided. If only I had a garage where I didn't have to squeeze the bike into tight spaces. But since I live at home I don't have my own garage.

And thanks! I like the look a lot more than stock pregens. Especially because I can run clip-ons now which completely changed the way the bike feels. It is like a new bike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
How did it turn out?
What? The paint repair? Still in the process but it will turn out decently.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:29 PM   #119
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
<--- 10k+ miles, 1 track day. Beginner for life.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 08:30 PM   #120
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote