ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #1
aweesner
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Loose Hardware...

Is it relatively common for some hardware to loosen up? I found one of the the screws that secure my handlebars to the fork coming out as well as loose rear footpeg bolt.
aweesner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Not common.

Those bolts were not torqued properly.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

On an eight year old bike? Sure, it's certainly not uncommon. Checking key nuts and bolts periodically is a part of motorcycle ownership, especially as they get on in years.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #4
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Seems to be few of these type of threads lately. I think it's time I start checking the torque on some of these important bolts. Maybe some blue locktite too. Didn't I see a compressed version of torque values for this on here somewhere. An excel spreadsheet maybe?

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:05 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

I'm not sure, but that would be a good find. They are all in the service manual, for folks who have tracked down a copy (no - that doesn't mean post links here ).

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #6
dubojr1

Would it be ok Alex to put a copy of the 4 pages from the SM that includes those specs? I'm working on a copy for myself that will have the hardware we use most often or that is easily checked during routine maintenance high-lighted.

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #7
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Every freaking screw/bolt/nut/etc comes loose on my bike. I've had the battery connections fall off mid turn at full lean, I've had the coolant pipe (not the radiator hose, the one that goes on the side of the engine) come loose and dump all the coolant, I've had the mirrors fall off, all the fairing screws vibrate loose, and several other things in the last few months.
You shouldn't worry about things coming loose, you should expect it. Torque everything correctly and apply a removable threadlocker.

I replaced my front brake rotor recently, and even those bolts, with the crazy orange "we don't want you ever to remove this" loctite came off with just a normal ratchet.

The one exception is the bar-end weights. Those things will never, ever vibrate loose. Kawasaki considers it to be of critical importance that these never come loose. They are not removable without at least a blowtorch. Judging by Kawasaki's use of threadlocker, it's okay if the handlebar falls off, apparently, as long as the bar end stays with it.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

@dubojr1 - Yes, I think I'd be OK with that. Like you - I think there's a thread here somewhere with that info already, but hasn't come up for me in a few obvious searches.

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Blue Loctite is the EX-250 rider's friend.

(Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242, for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools)
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Every freaking screw/bolt/nut/etc comes loose on my bike. I've had the battery connections fall off mid turn at full lean, I've had the coolant pipe (not the radiator hose, the one that goes on the side of the engine) come loose and dump all the coolant, I've had the mirrors fall off, all the fairing screws vibrate loose, and several other things in the last few months.
Wow, Skippii, you have a real shaker there
Maybe the engine is not solidly bolted to the frame.
Those would be the first ones too get loose, I guess.

My personal experience with my Ninja has been completely opposite,....and without using any thread locker.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #11
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
@dubojr1 - Yes, I think I'd be OK with that. Like you - I think there's a thread here somewhere with that info already, but hasn't come up for me in a few obvious searches.
I'll post something that we can continue to improve on. It will vary some for those that don't have certain parts like an air box or different kinds of exhaust. Maybe we can color code it too to indicate importance.

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Also - keep in mind that right now we're posting in the pre-gen area, and I assume you want this for the new-gen area.

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
You shouldn't worry about things coming loose, you should expect it. Torque everything correctly and apply a removable threadlocker.

I replaced my front brake rotor recently, and even those bolts, with the crazy orange "we don't want you ever to remove this" loctite came off with just a normal ratchet.

The one exception is the bar-end weights. Those things will never, ever vibrate loose. Kawasaki considers it to be of critical importance that these never come loose. They are not removable without at least a blowtorch. Judging by Kawasaki's use of threadlocker, it's okay if the handlebar falls off, apparently, as long as the bar end stays with it.
lol. you sound like me.

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #14
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Also - keep in mind that right now we're posting in the pre-gen area, and I assume you want this for the new-gen area.
True. It would be helpful for both gen's. It shouldn't vary too much should it?

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

You're probably right.