ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old December 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I am so not happy

Went to move the bike yesterday. Noticed the front tire was pushing in the turns last week when I was riding. So I knew I needed to check my air pressure. Well...started the bike up because the weather was not so great, just to run it. I kind of had the bike parked right in the walkway out of our garage. So I figured I'd move li'l Dinky. I hopped on the bike and tried to push it backwards, wow that is tougher than usual.

So I started checking around. Chain, good. Rear tire, good. Front tire, looks low. I figured a somewhat low front tire pressure wouldn't be bad. So I hopped back on it again, still tough. Looked around while I was on the bike. Yeah, that sucker is FLAT. I would not take the bike out with a tire this low.

I guess I'll air it up tonight, toss some soapy water on it and hope I see something. If not, I guess it just got really low, and then lost compression on the bead, forcing more air out. I'll have to wait and see.

Should I plug it or mark it and take it to the dealer for a patch? Maybe 1500 miles on the tires.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Toss it in the trash and replace it. I never plug motorcycle tires. I just dont trust the plugs for anything more than getting me to a shop to replace the tire.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

You've got enough things to worry about when you're riding. Get that front tire replaced!
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #4
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14051

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26245
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

IMHO

I would buy a new tire. But I am crazy extra cautious.

Since you only have 2 wheels they both have to be strong. A car I would plug and maybe rotate to the back for a bit.

Old December 13th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I would air up the tire and check the air pressure on a daily basis to see if it just got too low and lost pressure.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Bdavison & Samer, so you two are telling me if you had a tire with only 100 miles on it, got a screw in it, you'd replace it?

I dunno about that. I know I have maybe 1500, most likely closer to 1000 on the tire, but still, that is expensive for a "just in case".

I have guys that plug tires they use on track days. They see extreme heat, and then once the sides wear down, they put it on their street bikes. No issues from it.

I don't know. I just didn't see a screw or nail anywhere on the tire. I'll have to see if there is even a hole or just no issue at all other than just a lack of pressure. I guess we will see. If there is something I missed, and it is on the sidewall, I'd agree on a tire replacement.

Old December 13th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

You should do what you are comfortable with. Three of us say replace and there are many ways to look at it. You asked our opinion. I am sure you will get different opinions across the board. good luck with your tire.
Posted via Mobile Device
zartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #9
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

If the leak is on the sidewall then pitch it. Otherwise I'd patch it. Hopefully your tire is salvagable.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #10
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

If it's the valve stem, then there is nothing wrong with the tire! Did you check the valve? Pump it up to around 50 lbs and put some soapy water on the valve stem and take the cap off of the stem and put soapy water there. Use a hose with a little trickle and check the rest of the tire.

Last futzed with by g21-30; December 13th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

hope its the stem
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #12
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Bdavison & Samer, so you two are telling me if you had a tire with only 100 miles on it, got a screw in it, you'd replace it?
To answer your question in short; YES.

I don't care if it had 100 miles on it. If I got a nail anywhere in my front tire, I'd change it. Now, if it turns out to be the side, I pretty much guarantee nobody will agree to even fix that for you, that is a 100% no brainer, even for cars.

As many have said, you have the choice to do as you please, and we all wish you to be safe whatever you choose.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
If it's the valve stem, then there is nothing wrong with the tire! Did you check the valve? Pump it up to around 50 lbs and put some soapy water on the valve stem and take the cap off of the stem and put soapy water there. Use a hose with a little trickle and check the rest of the tire.
I'll check that. I do have some spare stems laying around.

Old December 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post
To answer your question in short; YES.

I don't care if it had 100 miles on it. If I got a nail anywhere in my front tire, I'd change it. Now, if it turns out to be the side, I pretty much guarantee nobody will agree to even fix that for you, that is a 100% no brainer, even for cars.

As many have said, you have the choice to do as you please, and we all wish you to be safe whatever you choose.
I dunno. I guess I just don't see the point in changing it. Not slamming anyone for having an opinion!

I know I'd have a hard time trusting a plugged tire, especially a plugged front. Guys I know run with max leans on plugged tires. It really depends on where the nail is. I may remove the wheel, remove the tire and patch it (safer than a plug), then just run cautiously.

I'll have to see. My wife wanted to decorate the house tonight, so I'll check the bike tomorrow.

Thanks for the ideas and opinions everyone.

Old December 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #15
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Hey Mark, 1 month in I had a screw lodged in the rear tire. Ran it over to service and they said that it was in an appropriate "plug" zone. So had them plug it and its still running well. No pressure loss (checked regularly) and I was comfortable in its location and the plug that was done. Put 2,000 mi on the plugged Pirelli Sp. Demon. Never hesitated in the decision and its been fine. Will be changing the tire out when I notice the plug is starting to look worn along with the tire wear. Hope u find out which issue is yours .... valve stem, rim leak or puncture. BTW it was great riding weather today in Texas compared to the past couple of weeks Went out and took advantage of it... was great.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 16th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #16
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

I have no problems running a patched/plugged tire, when done right they almost never fail. If they do fail its usually just a slow leak, I have never seen a blowout caused by a properly done tire repair.

Good luck with the tire.