ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
linkinpark9812
ninjette.org member

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): Black 2012 Ninja 250R

Add Oil Temperature Sensor, location?

I know a lot of the aftermarket gauges (Koso) chose to put the oil temperature sender in the drain plug on the new gen by using an adapter. Some even say to take the stock oil pressure one out and use that (don't know why, quite dangerous IMO).

However, I would rather not have to deal with the sensor when trying to drain the oil. I couldn't find much on anyone doing this, but would it be ok to put the sender where the old drain plug is (that was carried over from the pre-gen)?

That way, once it is in, it's in and would never have to be messed with.

The sender I want to use does protrude a bit more than the koso one, so does anyone have any experience of something being in the way near that location? The only thing I could think of is maybe the inlet/outlet of the oil pump? Thanks.
linkinpark9812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:15 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the current oil pressure sensor is between the bottom and the head, on the front of the engine. you could install a T for that fitting and install it there maybe?

Old March 13th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #3
linkinpark9812
ninjette.org member

Name: Miles

Motorcycle(s): Black 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the current oil pressure sensor is between the bottom and the head, on the front of the engine. you could install a T for that fitting and install it there maybe?
Thought about that, but I already plan splitting it for my oil pressure sender unit too and splitting three things seems... unstable. Plus, usually to get a good temperature reading from what I have heard, it is good to have it in the area where fluid flows. Not sure how true that is though.

Granted that is where the oil gets taken to the heads, not sure if the adapter adds enough of an "indentation" where the oil kind of sits there (since under pressure) and takes a while to get "replaced/heated" by the passing oil. Again, I don't know how true that is, I have heard several people say that it needs to be in the flow of the fluid, so I'm guessing it's because of it "sitting there".
linkinpark9812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #4
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

the old drain plug location should be adequate
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #5
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

In this thread http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97362 you can read my post #8 to get an idea for an also possible solution.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote