ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Yeah, I went down...Long Story

I was 10 miles from home when the first snow flake fell…

Against my better judgment I decided to continue on since I thought it wouldn’t stick right away anyway – I was wrong. I fishtailed left and right down a long steep hill with no rubber to pavement contact and no ability to stop the bike. I was pumping the brakes as fast as I could and I was still picking up speed. Halfway down the hill I was looking for a safe place to lay it down because there was a sharp turn at the bottom of the hill and no way I could make the turn in this footing.

At this point the cars behind me backed way off realizing that I was most likely going down. Just when I was about to do the unthinkable I got a huge stroke of luck. Just after the turn at the bottom there was small single lane over pass which left about a 10 foot strip of snow-free pavement underneath it. If I could stay upright long enough and keep my front pointed in my direction of travel it was just enough for a clean panic stop. But because the turn was so sharp I would have to cross the double yellow and approach the clean pavement diagonally. Doing so meant that there had to be no oncoming traffic which I would not be able to see until I reached the point where I needed to cross over. If there was oncoming traffic then I would have to lay the bike down otherwise I would not have enough pavement at my angle of attack and I would go down trying to take the turn anyway, which would also mean bike and me crashing into the inner wall of the overpass.

A rather funny thought went through my head. I thought about the likelihood that I would not be able to stop on the clean pavement and how much I would prefer to fall on the nice fluffy snow. When the moment of truth arrived I cross the double yellow and applied a firm squeeze on the front and then locked up the rear bringing the bike almost to a stop. I had to get off the brake when I ran out of pavement but by that time I had scrubbed off almost all of my speed and I was now on flat ground. I crossed back into the snow, steered off to the shoulder, brought the bike to the slowest 1mph stop of all time. And then it happened…

…Kickstand down, I dismounted the bike and walked around towards the back. Stepping on my flattened snow covered tracks I slipped and went down. Embarrassed but completely unharmed ATGATT lol…
So yes I mislead you a bit. I went down, my bike did not. The drivers behind me pulled over and they were so genuinely relieved that I was okay. 3 separate cars offered to give me a ride just so I wouldn’t get back on the bike. I could tell they were absolutely terrified watching my descent down that hill. In that regard, I felt their pain.

In that relieved moment, I thought proudly that I had remembered all my MSF training and had executed a flawless injury averting maneuver. Then I remember the biggest lesion I got from MSF – a lesson that went ignored that day. If it is not safe to ride for any reason. Find another way, but do not ride. This time lesson learned.

Photos taken moments later...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (98.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (117.2 KB, 28 views)
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #2
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Hahaha cool story
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lol... excellent crash story.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

haha best story ever!
Can I repost that with credit given?
Never mind, I'll link to it :-) Thanks, made me giggle.

Last futzed with by Firehorse; January 16th, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Second idea was better :-)
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #5
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

awesome save

Old January 16th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
BlackNinja8
ninjette.org guru

Name: NJ

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R (Sold); 2012 Vulcan 900; 2009 Harley Iron 883; 2004 SV650s; and a bunch of others over the years...

Thanks everyone. That experience certainly taught me a lesson I won't forget. I once hopped the fence to an abandoned junkyard to rummage for spare parts. Once on the other side I hear the deep grumble of a V8 engine, though there were certainly no running cars in the yard. I turned and saw a guard dog who could not have been fed in a long time but he looked like he had been eating quite well. I immediately understood why. As I ran for my life (at one point running across a bed of mangled cars and broken glass) I had that same feeling that I had as I slid uncontrollably down that hill - that I was in trouble. Death a possibility, but injury certain. I made it to the fence on the other side of the parking lot and traversed the rusty barbed wire fence without hesitation. Lying shaken on the right side of the fence I could hear the dog continuously slamming itself against the fence attempting to break through.

That was the last time I trespassed. I supsect I will not be driving in snow again either.
BlackNinja8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #7
NinjetteNewfie
ninjette.org member

Name: Melissa

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Best crash story ever!! This is why everyone should take the MSF!!

Old January 17th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #8
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Sounds like a great save; congrats!!!

Very happy, relieved and amused to read the ending.
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #9
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Great attitude here. Fully willing to take credit for some serious skills. Yet, willing to admit that the mistake came in judgement at the outset.

"There is an old saying that a superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgment so as not to have to use his superior skill."

Good job on recognizing this! And great crash story.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #10
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Hooray! You spared your lovely SV and your lovely bones!

Great hearing how nice the other drivers were in your story. Keeping back from you and checking after you. There's hope for the world!

Great story.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #11
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

excellent story indeed lol
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #12
Woomba
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 soon

Great read!
Woomba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Woohoo, great outcome..!! Good people afterall
Great story!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #14
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Name: Shell

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 -

You kept a level head and didn't stain your pants, which allowed you to execute that awesome save.

Glad it worked out.

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Nice story! You seem like a very educated writer too!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote