ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 10th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Lowering advice?

So my bike is due to arrive sometime this week, and I definitely need to get it lowered. I have a few questions and am hoping that those of you who have gone through the process can help answer them!

1. Which lowering kit is better? Is there a difference between the Soupy's Performance ones and the Roaring Toyz ones? (Material? Installation procedure? Amount of lowering?)

2. How much should I lower it in the rear? I am aware that the front can only go down 1", so should I keep it equal in the rear to minimize effects on handling, or do you think 1.5" would be doable? How much lowering will I need after the pre-load suspension is set for my 115lb self? I have a pathetic 28" inseam.

3. Is it really possible for a complete n00b to perform the installation? I have zero mechanical experience. Is the DIY in the NinjetteWiki detailed enough for someone who needs to be told EVERY detail? I literally have zero knowledge...
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #2
BlueRaven
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I went with the Roaring Toyz because the Soupy's was more expensive and looked complicated to get both links at the same height. It was very easy to put on. Simply take the original links out and put the new ones on using the same bolts that are currently on you bike. It does help to have a rearstand as using jacks and stands are a bit shaky. Having someone to help hold and/or push the bike down to put the bolt at the desired hole on the links is nice, roaring toyz have 5 holes you can choose. I also have a 28" inseam, 115 lbs and have set it at the 3rd hole and my feet are flat on the ground. I thought this had lowered the bike 1" but i think it's 1.5". I'm gonna bring it up a bit as my tire is eating the plastic above. I have my pre-load suspension set at 2 and will put it at 3 when i get a chance. The DIY should be all that you need as you only have to take off 2 bolts on each side and put them back on with your new links.

Old August 10th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Jessica, I think you can do it just fine You will need to use something to support the bike in addition to a rear stand however, as removing those bolts allows the swingarm to pivot freely, meaning the engine would flop to the ground if not supported... as long as you have the strength to loosen the bolts, or have someone around with the strength (my hubby had to stand on the ratchet to break them!), you'll be just fine - and if not, let me know and I'll get you through it!

Old August 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I have the Roaring Toys blocks on the front and just a no name link for the back. I dropped my bike an inch.
I did the job alone in my garage, but it would have been a lot less stressful if someone else had been there to help. So if you have an extra set of hands to hold the bike still for you, that will make it an easy job.

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Talonne
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jessica

Motorcycle(s): '09 Metallic Diablo Black

Where can I order the Roaring Toyz lowering KIT (with the blocks, links, and kickstand)? None of the websites I've found ship to Canada! I've checked Roaring Toyz' official webpage and Motorcycle-Superstore. SchnitzRacingStore wants to either charge me $80 for UPS express shipping, or I get raped at the door with brokerage charges if I choose the $20 UPS standard shipping. I've had to pay brokerage on similarly-priced packages before and I might as well must cough up the $80 up front. :P WestEndMotorsports has all 3 parts separately, but no information on international shipping whatsoever...

The other sites I've found do not offer the full kit with kickstand... Just the blocks and links, or blocks only, or links only.

Can anyone suggest a place I can buy from? BaysidePerformance.ca is great (I'm getting Shogun sliders from them) but they don't carry anything from Roaring Toyz.
Talonne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #6
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

$80 for shipping? Check ebay. I know they sell on ebay. I bought my links on ebay and they were only $20. I'll look and send you a PM if I find them. Also, good idea to shorten your kickstand. If you cut 1" off of it, it will work. I bought an expensive aftermarket stand, but if you know someone that can weld, probably better.

Old August 11th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #7
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Hey Jessica, did you get the PM I sent you?

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #8
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Talonne you can contact bayside performance in Vancouver to see it they can get them at a fair price. They didn't carry the shogun sliders and crash kit until i contacted them and then expressed my concerns about the prices as they were quite expensive when they first put it on their website, they quickly lowered the price.