ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 9th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Potential Project Advice: +20 year old 600R/ZX600

I'm finishing up on my 2005 250R, and I really enjoyed working on it. Maybe just as much as riding. I'm pretty sure that it'll pass its inspection on Monday, and I'm good to go.

There are a few 600Rs about 20 years old which are going around $500-600 in the local area. Any thoughts?

Should I be looking for something else besides a 600R? I'd like to stick with Kawasakis for now since I've gotten really familiar with the 250R. I looking for a fun weekend bike, not a commuter or touring. I know I should be getting to know my 250R on the street before upgrading. I'm just thinking ahead on a long term project that will take me into next year and keep me busy over the winter.

I've attached example pics. I can do the basics involving the carburetor, suspension, bearings, chain/sprockets, brakes, fuel, etc. I plan to tackle valve adjustments and carb syncing in the spring on my current 2005 250R, but from what I've seen, it looks doable. However, I don't think I want to split a crankcase just yet if ever. How many miles is too many miles?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93ninja.jpg (45.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 89ninja1.jpg (71.0 KB, 9 views)
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

20 year old sportbikes are in a bit of a strange area for me. Not old enough to be classics, but not new enough to be worth anything. And even if restored back to like-new quality, they still behave like 20 year old bikes. If it's for a daily driver, I'd always opt for something in the 5 - 7 year old range, which can also be picked up dirt cheap.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #3
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

You'd have to be on crack to want to restore one of those. Only reason I could justify doing something like that is if I had the bike for many years and it had sentimental value. To buy one and restore it though? They're worthless for that.

As for miles, no amount of miles is too many as long as the bike was serviced properly at its intervals. Machines don't just turn into dust because they were used a lot. That's why you keep rebuilding them and running them forever.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #4
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

yup yup. I convinced myself that it wasn't worth it. I was more interested in that period because it would have been the type of bike I would have gotten in my late teens. But even though it's cheap, for a little bit more I can get a non-running supersport from that era.

I've moved on from the ZX600s and now looking for something iconic. It'll be a project that will be fun, safe, and dependable. I already have a few leads. I'll post updates when I pick it up.

Old September 16th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #5
sonicsbomb
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Lonnie

Motorcycle(s): Gen 2 Hayabusa

good move I personally know the old zx600d`s and e`s from the early 90`s have real weak trans. almost always go. usually 2nd gear.
sonicsbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #6
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesun View Post
it would have been the type of bike I would have gotten in my late teens. .
Well that's definitely a solid reason to restore one! You made it seem like you wanted to do it just to have a cheap slate and thinking you'd have a cheap sports bike in the end. You wouldn't, you'll sink TONS of money into a restoration and you will almost never ever see a return (especially not on any run of the mill Jap rocket). However, to relive years past? I say go for it if it means that much to you.

I will say this, plan on replacing EVERYTHING. My first bike was 30 years old and I would have ended up replacing everything. I can perform all the work I was going to do, I've just never performed it all at one time. It's a challenge I couldn't take on, so I gave up after gathering all my replacement parts with my months of planning for it too. I'd guess I lost close to $1500 on that bike. Oh well, I can't get that education anywhere else and for that cheap! It was worth it.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #7
jaesun
ninjette.org member

I'm glad that I first posted on here. It definitely helped on my decision making. I ended up not getting the ZX60 basketcase.

I waited and waited, and finally the bike that I've always wanted showed up locally on craigslist. I didn't see Top Gun in the theater, so I probably first saw this bike in one of the music videos for the movie. (Damn it. I just viewed them on YouTube. I probably should be embarrassed because it only appears in one of the music videos.)

1985 GPZ900R with 11,900 miles. Only had a little over 10,000 in 1992 and hasn't been on the road in about 15 years. I'm the 3rd owner. The 2nd owner bought it in 1987 with about 2,700 miles. He tried to get it back on the road a few years ago but lost interest.

Starts but the carbs are gummed up. The tank inside was kreemed recently but the outside paint looks almost new. No modifications on it and is basically stock. Except a small crack in the lower fairing and a few scratches here and there, it's pristine for its age. I'm looking forward to this winter project and getting it back on the road for next season.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1985gpz900r.jpeg (47.2 KB, 3 views)

Old October 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nice buy!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote