ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Seeking Advice, is the bike worth it?

I've been talking to a guy at my university over the last month about him getting a bike. He's completely new to motorcycles (taken the MCSFC just recently) and wants to find something that would fit into his budget of $3,000 or less after registration and all. Since I took the easy way out by buying used from the dealer (I know, could have found cheaper, but I got a special edition 09 with 156 miles for $3,300), I'd like to seek out your opinions as well so that he gets the best he can.

He wants an 08+ blue so I found him these:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/2587349118.html

and
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/mcy/2554824063.html

He likes the first one with the ground effects, but is not sure about the mileage being over 10k. What would you guys suggest? He seems pretty dead set on getting one as soon as he can, so I just wanna look out for him and make sure he doesn't get over his head or get cheated.

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If a valve adjustment and other maintenance has been done on the dallas bike then I say get it.

Get proof.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:11 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I'd get the first one but the only thing to know for sure it's good is to see it for yourself And test ride it. Mileage is not a problem as long as it's cared for. Also it's his first bike and not his last. I'd jump on the 2600 dollar bike and get him to drop the price more.

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

the first bike can have a somewhat lower price. The second bike, definitely THOROUGHLY check it if you are considering it. Take plastics off, check the frame meticulously etc. This should realistically be done with both bikes but the second one for sure because of those scratches (why are they there?)
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys,keep your opinions coming!

So he just texted me and the guy in dallas said he'll sell for 2400. He wants to see if he can talk him down to 2300 so that he'll have a little more leeway. Told him id take to 2400, but if he really wanted to he could try seeing if he'll lower it.

Out of curiosity, how much might he have to spend if the valves need adjustment?

The second listing is our backup for him... I wanted to find one better but darn are those blue ninjas hard to find!

Again, can't thank you guys enough!

Old September 19th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Malloy View Post
Thanks guys,keep your opinions coming!

So he just texted me and the guy in dallas said he'll sell for 2400. He wants to see if he can talk him down to 2300 so that he'll have a little more leeway. Told him id take to 2400, but if he really wanted to he could try seeing if he'll lower it.

Out of curiosity, how much might he have to spend if the valves need adjustment?

The second listing is our backup for him... I wanted to find one better but darn are those blue ninjas hard to find!

Again, can't thank you guys enough!
Ask for proof (receipt) of a valve adjustment. They run about $400. If he hasn't done a valve adjust, which is recommended to be done at 7500 miles, then use that to talk him down further
AFM #676

Old September 19th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

$400 for a valve job glad I live in SoCal... good to have a local mechanic on the forums.

Sorry, back on topic... any bike that has "scratches" is a potentially dangerous situation as Max pointed out above. That's exactly why I bought new when I did... typically people who buy 250's are beginner riders who have a tendancy to... well let's face it... not know what they are doing at first. They tend to beat up the bike and not necesarily maintain it properly (not always the case... but a lot of the time).

Bottom line... I would only get a bike that you can go inspect before you buy. If they can't provide service details either bring a mechanic with you or ask them to let you get it inspected before buying. Otherwise you risk the possibility of buying someone elses' garbage. Either way, good luck with the purchase and sorry for being so negative.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Casper, its like you can read minds! Don't consider yourself negative; your post was very helpful in confirming my thoughts. I will update you guys when I find out more.

Jiggles, thanks for the estimate; it is very much appreciated.

Old September 20th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #9
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Yeah... again why I spent the extra $1K on a new vs. a used 250... peace of mind goes a really long way
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 20th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #10
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Agree with other posters: go for first one. Second one might have issues since he doesn't ride it often....you already know what happens if you don't ride it much. The mileage of 10k shouldn't be that much of an issue because he might be the type that after 2k miles would want to go bigger.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM   #11
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Just an update, the one in Dallas is now sold. From what I gather, it sold pretty much right after my guy talked to him, but I believe the person who bought it offered the full asking price.

As for the one in Okc, I'm trying to find an alternative to it for him. I'm not too fond of it, but as you all know us guys can get pretty stubborn when we find something we like like a certain color or styling. Let the search continue!

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Yeah... again why I spent the extra $1K on a new vs. a used 250... peace of mind goes a really long way
Every time I start wondering if I should've gone used over new, I remember the conversation we had in KC's garage while he was doing that valve adjustment for you. Though I still think I obviously could've gotten a Ninjette for much cheaper if I had just went used instead of new, I'm glad I bought new just because, as you mentioned, "peace of mind goes a really long way."

Anyway, back on topic, OP, just be sure that you guys inspect whatever bike he decides to go with thoroughly. I don't know if you know any mechanics, but if you do, insist on bringing one along.
I'm glad I have a friend who knows the ins and outs of sport bikes.

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #13
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Alright, so the blue one in Dallas fell through; the guy sold it to someone else for the $2,600 he was asking.

Also, they guy I'm trying to convince to stick with a ninja has made up his mind that he's going to get a very cheap 250 ninja just to learn on and will upgrade to a 600 once he feels he can handle it (hey, its an improvement from wanting to jump straight on a 600...). So, I recently found this one:

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/mcy/2617455976.html

If there is no mechanical damage to the bike, how much would you guys be willing to pay for this? Am I wrong in thinking that this would be a great bike if it runs like it should... especially if it has had its 7,500 mile service and valve adjustment? What's your opinions on it?

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

thats dirt cheap. check it out.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2011, 10:07 AM   #15
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
thats dirt cheap. check it out.
I 2nd that!!! It is just his stepping stone so cosmetics is irrelevant - or at least that is how I look at it.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #16
haze5736
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250

Seems too good to be true. I've seen very few pre-gens in my area listed for less than $1500 let alone a new-gen. I would be extremely cautious and bring someone along who REALLY knows what they're looking for. If it pans out then you get a heck of a deal. But you must consider why the owner would be willing to take $1k or more less than the bike is worth.
As a point of reference, I was quoted about $250 from the dealer for a valve adjust, carb cleaning and carb synch.

Quote:
Alright, so the blue one in Dallas fell through; the guy sold it to someone else for the $2,600 he was asking.

Also, they guy I'm trying to convince to stick with a ninja has made up his mind that he's going to get a very cheap 250 ninja just to learn on and will upgrade to a 600 once he feels he can handle it (hey, its an improvement from wanting to jump straight on a 600...). So, I recently found this one:

If there is no mechanical damage to the bike, how much would you guys be willing to pay for this? Am I wrong in thinking that this would be a great bike if it runs like it should... especially if it has had its 7,500 mile service and valve adjustment? What's your opinions on it?
haze5736 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:

Even if the bike is screwed up its still a good deal. Most likely there is something wrong with it like the frame is bent or something mechanical. Worst case scenario, you part the bike out for more than you paid for it
AFM #676

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #18
Daniel_Malloy
ninjette.org member

Another sad update; I told the guy to jump on this ASAP the minute I saw this. Well, he didn't get around to it until about 9 hours later. Guess what, guy said he received a deposit for it an hour ago... If I was thinking, I shoulda bought myself another ninja! Thanks guys for sticking in there with me; its a lot easier to talk stuff like this out and bounce thoughts back and forth.

Old September 26th, 2011, 09:14 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Another sad update; I told the guy to jump on this ASAP the minute I saw this. Well, he didn't get around to it until about 9 hours later. Guess what, guy said he received a deposit for it an hour ago... If I was thinking, I shoulda bought myself another ninja! Thanks guys for sticking in there with me; its a lot easier to talk stuff like this out and bounce thoughts back and forth.
offer him 1450
AFM #676