ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:00 AM   #1
CoreyDoesThings
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Corey

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Re-installing carburetor to airbox

Hi all. I have been using this forum for a while but never made an account till now. I have a bit of a problem so I am seeking help. I have a 2007 250r that needs the carburetor put back on.
I have spent hours looking for videos or forums for re-installing the carburetor, but have not been able to find any help. It took a while to get the carburetor off as I don't think it has ever been removed. When I went to put it back on, I noticed that the carburetor does not slide onto the boots for the airbox. I tried putting it into the boot and tried putting the boot on the carburetor as well. The spring doesn't seem to help anything and it seems the carburetor just sits up against the boot. I need some guidance on how to get the carburetor to go back onto the air box side. I was able to get it attached to the engine much easier.
Thanks
CoreyDoesThings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:04 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I had the same problem, and never really fixed it until I separated the battery box from the air box, and made my air box brackets. Now it goes together and stays together easily. You can find various air box separation instructions around. I was able to unbolt the electrics on the right and the coolant reservoir on the left, and use a hacksaw blade with a handle to carefully saw the two apart. My thread about the brackets shows what I did to ensure the airbox stays firmly against the carbs:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=291123

You can find good photos that show what needs to be cut here:

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Batter...r_carb_removal

If you don't have a handle made to go on a hacksaw blade, you can wrap one end of the blade with many turns of tape.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
Also, the rubber runners from the carbs to the airbox get old and stiff, and seem to shrink a little. I have used pliers to "bend" the edges that go over the carb out to get them started back onto the carb. I'm sure the right way is to get new runners that are pliable and cure the problem for some years. Also make sure to push the spring back before trying to slip the runners on, they don't do much but will make it tough (impossible?) to slide the rubber on.

ps: welcome to the board

Old May 17th, 2017, 08:26 AM   #4
CoreyDoesThings
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
Also, the rubber runners from the carbs to the airbox get old and stiff, and seem to shrink a little. I have used pliers to "bend" the edges that go over the carb out to get them started back onto the carb. I'm sure the right way is to get new runners that are pliable and cure the problem for some years. Also make sure to push the spring back before trying to slip the runners on, they don't do much but will make it tough (impossible?) to slide the rubber on.

ps: welcome to the board
Thanks! So the rubber does goes OVER the carb and not on the inside. Inside didn't make much sense since there aren't any groves. I think they may have shrunk because it seems very unlikely they are going to go back on without a fight. Tried for about an hour to get it back on but not successful yet. I'll post some updates the next chance I have to work on the bike.

Old May 17th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #5
cbreater
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 16' S1000RR, 04' CB919, CRF150/230, 07' 250R

If you haven't watched his video maybe worth a look. Reverse to install obviously.

https://youtu.be/AD5br8HCfn0
cbreater is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 10:16 AM   #6
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyDoesThings View Post
Hi all. I have been using this forum for a while but never made an account till now. I have a bit of a problem so I am seeking help. I have a 2007 250r that needs the carburetor put back on.
I have spent hours looking for videos or forums for re-installing the carburetor, but have not been able to find any help. It took a while to get the carburetor off as I don't think it has ever been removed. When I went to put it back on, I noticed that the carburetor does not slide onto the boots for the airbox. I tried putting it into the boot and tried putting the boot on the carburetor as well. The spring doesn't seem to help anything and it seems the carburetor just sits up against the boot. I need some guidance on how to get the carburetor to go back onto the air box side. I was able to get it attached to the engine much easier.
Thanks
As mentioned this video is the way to go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5b...ature=youtu.be

I had the same problem. I rolled the small springs back toward the airbox, loosened the screws under the battery and pushed the airbox forward as far as it will go and re tightened the two bolts. That worked for me. Don't forget to roll the small springs back over the carb intake. The next time I'm going to elongate the two bolt holes under the battery so I can push the airbox even further forward.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2017, 06:44 AM   #7
CoreyDoesThings
ninjette.org newbie

I got the bike back together and with all the small mods I did, it rides like a brand new bike. I put a stage 3 jet kit on it, and did a bunch of tweaking. I was about to close the garage discovered this. What does it go to? Been looking online and did a reverse image search and didn't find anything either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170523_181154.jpg (72.4 KB, 3 views)

Old May 24th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #8
CoreyDoesThings
ninjette.org newbie

I found it through a parts diagram. Its 11044 smack dab in the middle. When I get a chance to put it back on and run the bike, I'll post a video. Also, I'm on mile so the image is all messed up and I'm not sure how to remove it.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2_2.png (8.3 KB, 104 views)

Old May 24th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #9
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
In case nobody else mention this

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Batter...r_carb_removal

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2017, 01:49 AM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I haven't tried this on carbs before, but if you get a little bit of silicone spray-can stuff, you can rejuvinate rubber with it. Stick the stiff old rubber parts into a zippy bag, spray the silicone into the bag, covering the part(s), and then some. You want plenty in there, and it's cheap enough. Leave it for about a week and your rubber is soft and supple. If not, leave it longer.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Z1R rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
I haven't tried this on carbs before, but if you get a little bit of silicone spray-can stuff, you can rejuvinate rubber with it. Stick the stiff old rubber parts into a zippy bag, spray the silicone into the bag, covering the part(s), and then some. You want plenty in there, and it's cheap enough. Leave it for about a week and your rubber is soft and supple. If not, leave it longer.
Have you got a brand name, or what it is intended to be used for? I've got some old 1978 KZ intake boots I'd like to try this on. Thanks

Old May 25th, 2017, 01:11 PM   #12
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
Have you got a brand name, or what it is intended to be used for? I've got some old 1978 KZ intake boots I'd like to try this on. Thanks
It's a very light, very crappy, all purpose lubricant. It's one of the ingredients in WD-40 I believe. It's good for lubricating pellet guns, but I haven't found much else that it excels at. I've also used it to lube a sticking or hard-to-use lock or ignition when actual lock lube wasn't around, but it dries up and isn't a long-term solution.

It comes in many different flavors:

but it's all pretty much the same crap. I've only used this trick on smaller rubber parts before and I'm not sure how it works on the microscopic level, but I'm assuming the silicone penetrates the rubber to some extent (or something). So, making sure the rubber intake boots are clean would probably help, and a thicker rubber like an intake boot probably takes a little longer.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Z1R rider

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Old May 26th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #14
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyDoesThings View Post
I found it through a parts diagram. Its 11044 smack dab in the middle. When I get a chance to put it back on and run the bike, I'll post a video. Also, I'm on mile so the image is all messed up and I'm not sure how to remove it.
Not the same part. I'd go look at mine, but it's strapped in my van with tie-downs at the moment and I won't be able to look under the seat until tomorrow. I think it may be part of the air box hold-down parts.

Old May 27th, 2017, 04:59 AM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Not the same part. I'd go look at mine, but it's strapped in my van with tie-downs at the moment and I won't be able to look under the seat until tomorrow. I think it may be part of the air box hold-down parts.
I believe it is part 11044. See : http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...frame-fittings

Bill

Old May 27th, 2017, 07:06 AM   #16
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I believe it is part 11044. See : http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oempa...frame-fittings

Bill
Yes, that's the one! Sorry, I was confused a bit by the thumbnail, but mostly by myself.

Old May 27th, 2017, 10:38 AM   #17
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, that's the one! Sorry, I was confused a bit by the thumbnail, but mostly by myself.
I recognized it instantly after spending a #@%+=_% hour trying to get that little plastic bullet on the air filter housing into the rubber donut.

Bill