ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old August 31st, 2016, 10:50 PM   #1
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Pakistani's Custom Racing Suit

After looking everywhere for a decent racing suit, I might put my search to an end. I had been thinking to get a pre-owned racing suit, but my wife disapprove of that..

Looking for my size, around 56-57 cannot find one which suits with my budget at the moment. Those available in that size are around $1100 to $1300 but my budget is around $400. So i was thinking that a custom made Pakistani racing suit would do the trick. Surveyed here and there, some reviews are quite decent; which saying that such made suits are valuable for beginners. I do not want to have a one sided opinion therefore seeking for any good advices here. Or maybe from those who owned one before.

Searched the forum but cannot find one thread which specifically discussing about them, or I might have missed that. If I did, kindly paste the link so that i could do my readings.

I have seen some of the racing suits available at the show room and i could say the leather quality (purely based on viewing and not actually trying the suit on the road) is ok for starters. Discussed with my wife and she agreed for this.

I am around 5 foot 7, weighs around 224 lbs. Never done a track day on a ninjette, but had done it a few times on ER-6n, but during that time, riding jacket with knee protector was allowed.

I do long rides daily to work, but will do short ride for weekends if not too tired. Would this be my bang for the buck?

Old September 1st, 2016, 09:27 AM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Really depends upon the quality of leather and stitching they use. It could be a fantastic bargain or it could be next to worthless.

I bought a cheap pair of leather gloves marked made in Pakistan, they lasted about 4 rides before they stitching started to fall apart.

Not saying everything made in Pakistan is like that, just that without seeing the suit and knowing what type of thread they used to stitch it I really can't comment on the quality of it.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2016, 10:06 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
I do long rides daily to work, but will do short ride for weekends if not too tired. Would this be my bang for the buck?
Unless you are planning on racing, leather may be a poor choice for your local climate, characterized by monsoons and high humidity.

For commuting only, fabric or mesh may be better.

Tour Master and Fieldsheer produce a long version of most sizes and jackets can be zipper-connected to pants or overpants.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:35 AM   #4
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If they use Kevlar thread and stitch it right I wouldn't see a problem

Old September 1st, 2016, 12:01 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I had been thinking to get a pre-owned racing suit, but my wife disapprove of that..
Hmmm.... odd. Why would your wife not approve anything safety related that falls within your budget? I understand getting the most from your hard earned money, but I must be missing something here?!?!?!?

A used, well taken care of and professionally cleaned suit should be more than acceptable.

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2016, 12:07 PM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hmmm.... odd. Why would your wife not approve anything safety related that falls within your budget? I understand getting the most from your hard earned money, but I must be missing something here?!?!?!?

A used, well taken care of and professionally cleaned suit should be more than acceptable.

Especially when you could pick up a used A-Star, Pilot, or other reputable brand for the same price as an unknown Pakistani suit.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
not too sure why... never thought of asking her.. I'll ask her tonight..

Old September 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM   #8
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Unless you are planning on racing, leather may be a poor choice for your local climate, characterized by monsoons and high humidity.

For commuting only, fabric or mesh may be better.

Tour Master and Fieldsheer produce a long version of most sizes and jackets can be zipper-connected to pants or overpants.
Yep.. those are in my second list since I do have a cordura + mesh jacket at the moment. I am looking something to wear for trackday + through the curves. Come to second opinion, which is more practical? single piece or two piece? Have seen how those with 1 piece went to the loo, i'm putting up option for a 2 piece.

Old September 1st, 2016, 08:28 PM   #9
shift957
ninjette.org member

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): R6, SV 650, 300, 250, 250 xc-w

10 years ago, I was in the market for a leather 1 piece suit and wanted to know why some were 400 and why some were 2000+. So I did a good bit of research. Two of the main things you want to be concerned with when purchasing a suit are stitching types and fit.

Fit to you is most important, because a baggy suit will not slide. It will grab the asphalt and make you tumble. Also, when the suit grabs, it has a higher chance of blowing a seam, leaving you exposed. I've actually seen suits do this when I was on a forum in the DC area. Scary stuff.

As for the stitching, I tried a quick google image search to help explain it but came up with nothing. Anyways, the better suits have double and triple stitched seams in high abrasion areas. Meaning, the 2 leather panels come together (think of 2 leather strips laying on a table, not overlapping but making a 90 degree bend facing up, kinda like this: ____JL____ ) Then they stitch the 2 flaps together, then fold it down and stitch it to one of the panels of leather. That way, if you slide and burn up the exposed stitching on the outside, you still have another layer of stitching as backup. Triple stitching is similar, with another level of stitching protection.

I had a Spidi R2 Wind kangaroo suit last me 10 years. It was very expensive, but it was worth every penny. Very light, very thin (kangaroo leather) let me move effortlessly, it breathed really well and was super light weight. And yes, I have looked on Ebay for a good used set in my size. I replaced it with an Alpinestars suit (good suit) and immediately feel the differences between mobility, breathability, and weight and how it translates to how long I can ride on the track and how hot I get. I used to not need to take the Spidi off between sessions and people would ask how I could stay in my suit. Now I am rocking cow hide leathers, I know what they meant.

I'm not suggesting anyone needs to get a $$$$$ suit. It just depends on what kind of riding you do and the risk factors involved and how protected (and comfortable) you want to be while riding. Whatever you choose, MAKE SURE IT FITS SNUGLY.
shift957 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2016, 09:17 PM   #10
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shift957 View Post
10 years ago, I was in the market for a leather 1 piece suit and wanted to know why some were 400 and why some were 2000+. So I did a good bit of research. Two of the main things you want to be concerned with when purchasing a suit are stitching types and fit.

Fit to you is most important, because a baggy suit will not slide. It will grab the asphalt and make you tumble. Also, when the suit grabs, it has a higher chance of blowing a seam, leaving you exposed. I've actually seen suits do this when I was on a forum in the DC area. Scary stuff.

As for the stitching, I tried a quick google image search to help explain it but came up with nothing. Anyways, the better suits have double and triple stitched seams in high abrasion areas. Meaning, the 2 leather panels come together (think of 2 leather strips laying on a table, not overlapping but making a 90 degree bend facing up, kinda like this: ____JL____ ) Then they stitch the 2 flaps together, then fold it down and stitch it to one of the panels of leather. That way, if you slide and burn up the exposed stitching on the outside, you still have another layer of stitching as backup. Triple stitching is similar, with another level of stitching protection.

I had a Spidi R2 Wind kangaroo suit last me 10 years. It was very expensive, but it was worth every penny. Very light, very thin (kangaroo leather) let me move effortlessly, it breathed really well and was super light weight. And yes, I have looked on Ebay for a good used set in my size. I replaced it with an Alpinestars suit (good suit) and immediately feel the differences between mobility, breathability, and weight and how it translates to how long I can ride on the track and how hot I get. I used to not need to take the Spidi off between sessions and people would ask how I could stay in my suit. Now I am rocking cow hide leathers, I know what they meant.

I'm not suggesting anyone needs to get a $$$$$ suit. It just depends on what kind of riding you do and the risk factors involved and how protected (and comfortable) you want to be while riding. Whatever you choose, MAKE SURE IT FITS SNUGLY.
How to rate this as helpful??? It sure is! Thanx bro!

Old September 1st, 2016, 11:55 PM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
How to rate this as helpful??? It sure is! Thanx bro!
Stick around you will get thumbs too

Old September 2nd, 2016, 02:36 AM   #12
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Stick around you will get thumbs too
I'm such a noob....

Old September 2nd, 2016, 07:45 AM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Everybody here has been new maaaan

Old September 2nd, 2016, 10:19 AM   #14
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...rown-race-suit
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2016, 01:34 PM   #15
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
After looking everywhere for a decent racing suit, I might put my search to an end. I had been thinking to get a pre-owned racing suit, but my wife disapprove of that..

Looking for my size, around 56-57 cannot find one which suits with my budget at the moment. Those available in that size are around $1100 to $1300 but my budget is around $400. So i was thinking that a custom made Pakistani racing suit would do the trick. Surveyed here and there, some reviews are quite decent; which saying that such made suits are valuable for beginners. I do not want to have a one sided opinion therefore seeking for any good advices here. Or maybe from those who owned one before.

Searched the forum but cannot find one thread which specifically discussing about them, or I might have missed that. If I did, kindly paste the link so that i could do my readings.

I have seen some of the racing suits available at the show room and i could say the leather quality (purely based on viewing and not actually trying the suit on the road) is ok for starters. Discussed with my wife and she agreed for this.

I am around 5 foot 7, weighs around 224 lbs. Never done a track day on a ninjette, but had done it a few times on ER-6n, but during that time, riding jacket with knee protector was allowed.

I just had a good friend try to get one and they f-him around for 2 months and he never got it.

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #16
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Managed to talk to my wife on pre-owned racing suit. She actually did not like the idea of buying a pre-owned item. she prefers new. But mostly it's about the question of how the previous owner clean their leathers. Well, she's a nurse, therefore always look ahead on hygienic side.

Anyway, I am in a middle of getting a close deal for a 2 piece Dainese Racing suit, pre-owned but never worn except for trying out. Looks like the guy has two other suits and have to let go of this one. Hopefully he agrees on the price I am offering. If things go well, I will own a pre-owned suit, literally, owned. Not worn!

Old September 5th, 2016, 10:20 PM   #17
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Good stuff... Congrats!

Old September 5th, 2016, 11:31 PM   #18
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Beautiful isn't she?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dainese.jpg (21.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg dainese 2.jpg (20.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg dainese 3.jpg (18.1 KB, 2 views)

Old September 6th, 2016, 10:26 AM   #19
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice! I hope you can make a deal.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #20
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That is a sweet lookin suit

Old September 6th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #21
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Managed to cut a final price with the owner, for $369. Wohooo.... it's a done deal if i can fit the suit.

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:47 PM   #22
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That's a heck of a deal... Hope it fits perfect!

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #23
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
That's a heck of a deal... Hope it fits perfect!
Finger crossed. can't wait this weekend to meet the owner!

Old September 6th, 2016, 08:59 PM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I need a new suit, just like my old suit only new

Old September 12th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #25
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
The deal's off. Size was a bit too big for me. apparently I am having a size EU 54 from my torso and above and a size EU58 for my waist line, buttocks and calf. Called up a friend of mine which does racing suits alteration and he mentioned that the alteration itself would cost me around $150 to open up all stitching and surpluses for altering the suit back to my size.

Straight went to the authorized dealer of Rev'It brand on the next day (Sunday). Paid for a GT-R Leather Jacket and Masaru sport riding pants instead. Still no stocks. Have to wait around 1 month time for item's delivery.

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:29 PM   #26
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Look into Jan-Man and Hazardous.

Old September 12th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #27
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Look into Jan-Man and Hazardous.
Thanx.. Considerable for next racing suit. But at this moment, I'm sticking to the Rev'It since I have paid it in full...