ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 19th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #1
james250ninja
james250ninjette.newbie

Name: james

Motorcycle(s): 1986 ninja 250

coolant change

what the best coolant for our ninja 250

and is there a thread on how to change the coolant
james250ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Here's a DIY thread: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100361

I use Engine Ice (propylene glycol), because I like its lesser toxicity. What coolant you use isn't too big a deal though. The only catch is that if you go from ethylene glycol (the green stuff) to propylene glycol (generally blue), you should flush it out as they don't get along with each other very well.

Stock is ethylene glycol (green).
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by james250ninja View Post
what the best coolant for our ninja 250

and is there a thread on how to change the coolant
I just changed my coolant and installed Prestone with GM approved "Dexcool" which is supposed to be very friendly to aluminum. I did not get the pre-mix 50/50 stuff. I wanted to add my own distilled water as I've read that tap water can contain pollutants that are harmful to aluminum.

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 05:32 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...ling_system%3F
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 06:14 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
I just changed my coolant and installed Prestone with GM approved "Dexcool" which is supposed to be very friendly to aluminum. I did not get the pre-mix 50/50 stuff. I wanted to add my own distilled water as I've read that tap water can contain pollutants that are harmful to aluminum.

Bill
The factory pre-mixed is a good choice, as they use the correct water. Mixing the concentrate with distilled water is going to be almost exactly the same.

Mixing with tap water is not a good idea, as it will contain minerals that will build-up in the system and produce deposits. Filtered drinking water is better in a pinch, but still contains some minerals.

To the OP - coolant that is Silicate-Free is usually recommended. All Peak antifreeze is silicate free, as is most Prestone I believe, but best to confirm.

Not sure about some of the non-standard coolants, but if it gets cold in your area be sure to use a coolant that is also an Antifreeze. Some are not, and you could get major engine damage if temps are consistently below freezing.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #6
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
The factory pre-mixed is a good choice, as they use the correct water. Mixing the concentrate with distilled water is going to be almost exactly the same.

Mixing with tap water is not a good idea, as it will contain minerals that will build-up in the system and produce deposits. Filtered drinking water is better in a pinch, but still contains some minerals.

To the OP - coolant that is Silicate-Free is usually recommended. All Peak antifreeze is silicate free, as is most Prestone I believe, but best to confirm.

Not sure about some of the non-standard coolants, but if it gets cold in your area be sure to use a coolant that is also an Antifreeze. Some are not, and you could get major engine damage if temps are consistently below freezing.
The attached photo is the result of boiling tap water during the last few winters to add humidity to the air in my home. If you use tap water to mix with your antifreeze you won't see this amount of mineral deposits but I guarantee you'll get some.

The antifreeze I use is Prestone with GM approved DEX-COOL. It is not a premix. If you mix it 50/50 you'll have protection from -34 degrees F to 265 degrees F. If you mix it (Prestone /water) 70/30 you get protection from -84 degree F to 276 degrees F, I chose the later. I figure that if you're over 50 years of age one gallon of this Prestone for your Ninja will take you to the grave. If you're over 1 year of age and drink it it will do the same. This antifreeze is claimed to be silicate and phosphate free.

That's all I know, or need to know about antifreeze.

I wrote this in support of what JKV45 posted.

Cheers,

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (80.2 KB, 3 views)

Old July 20th, 2017, 08:16 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
The antifreeze I use is Prestone with GM approved DEX-COOL.
I thought there were all kinds of problems reported about Dex-Cool causing corrosion and clogging radiators. On the other hand, I have not researched this to see if it's folklore or real.

edit: There must be some truth to it: http://www.reuters.com/article/gm-se...35011520080327
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #8
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I thought there were all kinds of problems reported about Dex-Cool causing corrosion and clogging radiators. On the other hand, I have not researched this to see if it's folklore or real.

edit: There must be some truth to it: http://www.reuters.com/article/gm-se...35011520080327
I think I may be stuck with DEX-COOL.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=2090826

For me the jury is still out but not GM's I guess. One guy in the above noted blog says that the DEX-COOL has the same ingredients as other types of antifreeze. Problems also seem to be related to the types of gasket materials used.

Well, I better figure on changing the coolant frequently.

Thanks TJ.

Bill

Old July 20th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #9
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Dex-cool is one of the reasons GM went bankrupt. Partly to avoid paying all the $150-mil+ settlement. This was partially paid before bankruptcy and afterwards the remaining was paid as stock in "new" GM.

Dex-cool turned out to be far from the maintenance-free 5-year/150k-mile coolant. You have to make sure to not mix any other coolant types. It must never come in contact with tap-water. And you have to inspect it regularly to make sure there's no air-gap above it under cap. Otherwise it will coagulate into a gel. Too much work to maintain I think.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 09:54 AM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Dex-cool is one of the reasons GM went bankrupt. Partly to avoid paying all the $150-mil+ settlement. This was partially paid before bankruptcy and afterwards the remaining was paid as stock in "new" GM.

Dex-cool turned out to be far from the maintenance-free 5-year/150k-mile coolant. You have to make sure to not mix any other coolant types. It must never come in contact with tap-water. And you have to inspect it regularly to make sure there's no air-gap above it under cap. Otherwise it will coagulate into a gel. Too much work to maintain I think.
Thanks Jac. Is Prestone stupid like me. Why offer a product that rewards the consumer with headaches. I thought this DEX-COOL stuff was aluminum friendly that's why I bought it. Just shoot me.

Bill

Old July 20th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #11
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Yeah, non-phosphate, non-silicate coolants are the ticket and there's been quite a few of them developed the past couple decades. I used Dex-cool in my Porsche back when it came out. Then when all the GM class-action lawsuits started happening, I switched to a HOAT coolant.

Old July 20th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #12
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Thanks Jac. Is Prestone stupid like me. Why offer a product that rewards the consumer with headaches. I thought this DEX-COOL stuff was aluminum friendly that's why I bought it. Just shoot me.

Bill
I think the Prestone coolant that mentions "Dex-Cool" is compatible with it and not the same formula as the original.

I always wonder why a company like GM would want to re-invent the wheel. Going with a tried-and-true product like conventional coolant seems a much more intelligent and less expensive (especially in the long run for GM) option.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #13
DannoXYZ

GM has serious NIH syndrome. Look at how their NUMMI experiment worked out.

At the time, GM was finally ditching all-iron engines and adopting alloy-heads. Traditional coolant touching both iron-block and alloy-heads created a battery that corroded the aluminium. Of course, many other foreign manufacturers have already figured out a coolant chemistry to work with such combination as well as extending water-pump seal life with non-phosphate/non-silicate formulaes. But... NIH, GM has to do it themselves... and came up with Dex-cool.

Kinda like our stupid DOT adopting international motoring standards decades later, but having to modify them so they can claim it's home-brewed. Superior ECE lighting is still not allowed 30-years later... DOT needs to come up with their version...