Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Notices

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:03 AM   #1
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Build log section?

I was reading the BOTM thread and thought I'd make another suggestion.

I think a much more useful section would be a "showcase" forum that would be dedicated to project threads. The general idea being that a user could create a single thread for their bike (or each of their bikes) that they update whenever they do anything to the bike they feel like sharing, whether it be mods, maintenance, or just some scenic pictures or video they took. Basically a blog where you post updates, and people can comment on them. I know there's a blog section here already but I don't think it gets much use because it's not as accessible as the the normal forum sections.

I think people like to have a "space" where they can keep a build log like this with all their pics and videos in one place, but these types of threads usually end up scattered throughout the other sections like pictures, general and tech so their build thread eventually gets "lost in the rubble" if you will.

Optional: You could even combine the pictures and video section into a single media section (you could do that now, really) or just do away with them as they'd fall under general, off topic, or their bike's thread.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 05:51 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Check out the blog section here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php

Some folks have used it for pretty much exactly what you have proposed, and it works reasonably well. To be fair though, it doesn't attract the traffic that I wish it could, as most folks do stick with the forum format. One good one is Racer X's:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?u=736

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #3
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Check out the blog section here:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php

Some folks have used it for pretty much exactly what you have proposed, and it works reasonably well. To be fair though, it doesn't attract the traffic that I wish it could, as most folks do stick with the forum format. One good one is Racer X's:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/blog.php?u=736
That is really good! But you see most people will never see it unless it's pointed out. And the whole main blog page layout seems kinda clunky compared to the threaded view we all know and love. If only there were a way to combine the two...

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #4
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
That is really good! But you see most people will never see it unless it's pointed out. And the whole main blog page layout seems kinda clunky compared to the threaded view we all know and love. If only there were a way to combine the two...
I'm with cynical on this one, not to be rude or a hellraiser but build threads on a specific subforum would be great. is easy to follow, will get great traffic, and the format is just easy to read and follow. I was confused when they told me to do a build thread on the tech forums, but it seems to work and people like it. Another reason for the forum is that it opens your build to discussion and you get live feedback as you go, is awesome to see a whole communitty pitching in on a project.

The best to do is open up a poll and see how many people would be interested on a build/project/buildoff subforum.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #5
CynicalC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
I'm with cynical on this one, not to be rude or a hellraiser but build threads on a specific subforum would be great. is easy to follow, will get great traffic, and the format is just easy to read and follow. I was confused when they told me to do a build thread on the tech forums, but it seems to work and people like it. Another reason for the forum is that it opens your build to discussion and you get live feedback as you go, is awesome to see a whole communitty pitching in on a project.

The best to do is open up a poll and see how many people would be interested on a build/project/buildoff subforum.
Yeah your streetfighter thread would be a perfect example. I forgot what forum it was posted in.

Anyway it was just a suggestion. The same concept as the existing blog really. Its a nice feature but needs to be more accessible to increase awareness > traffic > usage. I wouldn't go making a poll yet. I think this thread being here would be enough to gauge interest.

Old June 9th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #6
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I wouldn't go making a poll yet. I think this thread being here would be enough to gauge interest.
Oh I meant Alex should make a Poll and see if this would be ok with other users or see how many of us wants this, I don't believe in insurrection or not following the chain of command.

Old June 9th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
I don't believe in insurrection or not following the chain of command.
It's not really a chain, it's more like a single link. Here are my general guidelines for setting up new subforums. If I can find 50 or more threads that are right now scattered in other subforums on the site, that would all fit better in their own dedicated subforum, then it likely makes sense to set up a new area.

If I can't find that many, then it seems that people have found reasonable places to already put the information, and adding more buckets adds to the complexity of the site rather than improves it. Right now there are nowhere near 50 build threads on the site, I'd be hard-pressed to point to 10.

I see build threads / showcase threads as different from the DIY threads that make up a large portion of the tech section already, yet they seem to fit there (or in the picture subforum) reasonably well so far, depending on how much tech is in the thread.

There are other challenges to using 1 thread to go on for a long period of time, with the expectation that the user will edit the 1st post as the build progresses to show the work; that will not work on this site due to editing time-out requirements that over time I've found to be non-negotiable (2 months).

I continue to think the blog area is very close to the need, and one way to bridge the gap is to do exactly what Racer X has done, which is post up a thread in the tech section or ninjettes at speed section highlighting something interesting that he's just put up in his ninjette blog.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old June 9th, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Sounds extremely reasonable and fair. I hope is still kosher for me to keep my thread where it is, I wouldn't want to upset the powers that be.

Old November 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #9
wanarace94
The Dark Horse

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r SE, 71 honda Cl100

Build thread area

I think it would be nice to have a place where people who have customized their bikes could have a place to put a build thread up without putting it in tech or other areas. I am sure people would post up threads of how they rebuilt their motor or how they build their street fighter. Just an idea.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM   #10
CynicalC

I've suggested this before. I like the idea. I don't remember what the argument against it was though.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
To me, there is not enough of them to warrant a new subforum (even though I have a build thread going). Just like the race bike builds fit right in the "at speed" section, street builds can live in their respective gen forums.

My
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #12
CynicalC

I think there would be more build threads if there was a proper place for them. Maybe it could be done on a trial basis and if it doesn't get enough traffic just squash it.

Old November 12th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

/threads merged

Seems like there continues to be interest in this.

Old November 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I feel like I have a decent build thread. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100916 Eh. I like the idea of having a subforum.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote