ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 16th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #1
J Walk
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Aftermarket gauges, oil pressure?

Thinking of mounting some gauges for water temp and oil pressure in the void behind the gauge cluster.

The oil temp one is easy, just a straight sensor replacement, but not sure where or how to get the oil pressure. Anyone ever mount a oil pressure gauge on your 250?

Last futzed with by J Walk; January 16th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
J Walk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Why do you want to do this? The stock cluster have lights for both these.?.

Old January 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #3
J Walk
ninjette.org member

Rather have an actual gauge that I can read, then just an idoit light that comes on. Especailly the water temp, would be nice to know when the bike is warmed up.

Last futzed with by J Walk; January 16th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.

Old January 16th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

idiot lights are set to go off at a certain point, but what if your running half a psi off the low pressure on the oil, or 2 degrees before over heat in the coolant? You won't know, and won't know that a potential problem exists.

Because of how hot the summers get here, I want to add in my spare oil cooler, adding both a pressure AND temp gauge for the oil, and a temp gauge for the coolant.

Old January 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #5
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Here is a h2o temp gauge I did: http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/DIY_Day...ter_Temp_Gauge

I'm not sure about an individual oil gauge, but I know the Koso clusters will read both (and come with sensors).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #6
J Walk
ninjette.org member

Yep there's where I saw how to do the water temp gauge, in your DIY (thanks by the way , I know there is a oil pressure sensor on top on the block but not sure if I want to replace that one, would probably have the oil light on all the time that way. Looking for a cheaper alternative to the koso gauge to monitor some of the engine. Worst comes to worst probably just install the water gauge and leave it at that.

Old January 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #7
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walk View Post
Yep there's where I saw how to do the water temp gauge, in your DIY (thanks by the way , I know there is a oil pressure sensor on top on the block but not sure if I want to replace that one, would probably have the oil light on all the time that way. Looking for a cheaper alternative to the koso gauge to monitor some of the engine. Worst comes to worst probably just install the water gauge and leave it at that.
You can use a T-Fitting where one part of the T is for the stock gauge and the other is for the new gauge.

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
The light would stay off, the sender grounds out when theres no oil pressure. No sender, no light

More than likely, you would be disappointed in the psi reading. Also dont know if the little pump could support an oil cooler
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #9
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
The light would stay off, the sender grounds out when theres no oil pressure. No sender, no light

More than likely, you would be disappointed in the psi reading. Also dont know if the little pump could support an oil cooler
Then why does the light come on when you turn on the ignition...There is no pressure when the engine hasn't started and the light goes out once the minimum pressure has been reached.

Old January 20th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #10
J Walk
ninjette.org member

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was an electrical sender??
So Hkr1 comment makes sense to me. If the connector is reading infinite resistance due to the sensor not being connected to it then the light should stay off.

Don't know where the cooler came in though?? Just wanted an actual gauge instead of just a low pressure light.

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:49 AM   #11
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was an electrical sender??
So Hkr1 comment makes sense to me. If the connector is reading infinite resistance due to the sensor not being connected to it then the light should stay off.

Don't know where the cooler came in though?? Just wanted an actual gauge instead of just a low pressure light.
I believe it is the reverse of what he is saying, that pressure grounds the sensor, bypassing the light, the lack of pressure leaves the circuit open to the light.

I need the oil cooler, I have one, but have not seen a way to put it inline.