ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #1
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Name: Vinh

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Can I just cut the brake hose shorter to fit Woodcraft rearsets?

I installed my rearsets last week, and I noticed the brake hose to the reservoir was a little pinched, so I turned the hose to relax it some..
now when I sit on the bike, it comes very very close to the rear tire, and so I know for sure if there is a passenger, it will rub. I saw that someone made an extending bracket to move the reservoir back a few inches, but I am a lazy ass that doesn't want to..

Could I simply cut the hose at one end (I was planning on the reservoir end since I may not do a perfectly smooth cut), so that it won't be near the tire or be pinched?

I am mostly confident this shouldn't affect anything since it's not pressurized in the hose, but figure I would throw it out there to make sure

Old July 20th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #2
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I believe that would work fine. You'd most likely have to bleed the brakes though after re-attaching the hose.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
You'd most likely have to bleed the brakes though after re-attaching the hose.
maybe not. if you work fast and don't get air into that supply line, you should be fine. The fluid is only gravity fed to the brake hydraulic assembly.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #4
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
maybe not. if you work fast and don't get air into that supply line, you should be fine. The fluid is only gravity fed to the brake hydraulic assembly.
i was thinking the same, i was going to suck out the fluid from the reservoir, then just a little bit from the hose and while holding it upright, chop off 1-2 inches with a super sharp serrated kitchen knife lol

Old July 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #5
kkim

I nice big, sharp set of scissors would work great and give you a cleaner cut.

If it doesn't work, the worst is that you'll need to bleed the brakes. I'd caution about being sure not to get any dirt of pieces of the hose in to the brake line. That's where a pair of scissors would make a nice clean cut w/o having to worry about rubber bits from cutting.

Old July 20th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

true, will do that

do u know how hard it is to find 3mm washers in a noname area?? i had to have a store order them, which only cost $1 for 100, but $5 for shipping.. dammit! who needs 96 3mm washers??

Old July 20th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie11 View Post
who needs 96 3mm washers??
lol... tons of people seem to have problems finding those washers. You might consider posting them up for a SASE to help others who can't get those washers when they shim their carbs.

yeah... and I live in one of those no name areas, too.

Old July 20th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #8
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

SASE = self addressed stamped envelope?

i looked up SAE at first and one def said sexual assault examiner hahaha

Old July 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #9
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie11 View Post
SASE = self addressed stamped envelope?

i looked up SAE at first and one def said sexual assault examiner hahaha
yes, SASE. people that can't find 3mm washers would really appreciate it.

I changed it from SAE after a bit so not to confuse people.

Old July 20th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #10
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

If you're cutting the hose up at the res end and keep the fluid in the hose still attached to the master cylinder you won't need to bleed the brakes. Some guys use nothing but a short piece of tube as their reservoir.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #11
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Yes, you can cut the line to the shorter length you want. Also, you will want to bleed the rear brake. It's impossible to remove the line and not get air into the line.
M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Hokie11
ninjette.org member

i didnt remove the line, i just bent if half way and drained some out.. cut the line and plugged the reservoir back in.. i watched the air pocket come up, so i should be good