ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
Kamaboko
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kamaboko

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250R

Reversed gear shift lever!?

As embarrassing as it may be for my second post:

I recently laid down my bike while trying to make a left U-turn. There was "hidden" loose gravel (lol), my rear tire skidded in mid-turn and...yeah, you know the rest. Luckily, it was at slow speed. Unluckily, it busted up my bike some. What is of concern is my gear shift lever. Normally it points towards the nose of the bike, but after picking up my bike post-fall it was pointing to the rear. After some strenuous tugging, I was able to flip it back. I rode back to my home some 20 miles without problems, but I feel somewhat uneasy still. Any recommendations regarding the gear shift lever? Is it fine or should I replace it?
Kamaboko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Take the the shift lever off and inspect it for any signs of cracks or tears in the metal. If any are present then replace it. If not then it should be fine, just keep a close eye on it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
kkim

take it off and try to straighten it out the best you can. like snake said, inspect it for damage and how strong it looks.

don't try to straighten it out while still on the bike as you can cause damage to the shift shaft if you pry it hard enough.

how does the shifting feel now?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:02 PM   #4
Kamaboko
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Kamaboko

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Take the the shift lever off and inspect it for any signs of cracks or tears in the metal. If any are present then replace it. If not then it should be fine, just keep a close eye on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
take it off and try to straighten it out the best you can. like snake said, inspect it for damage and how strong it looks.

don't try to straighten it out while still on the bike as you can cause damage to the shift shaft if you pry it hard enough.

how does the shifting feel now?
Thanks for the input; I'll definitely act per advice.

The shifting feels more "loose" now, and the lever itself is somewhat bent inwards towards the bike. It's not bent at the hinge, but the shaft is bent. I'll post the results after I've taken it off and given it a more thorough inspection.
Kamaboko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Put some heat to it and get it nice and strait. Otherwise you will pay over $30 shipped for a new one
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote