Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 4th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #1
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
My new camping setup

These are pretty popular with backpackers and moto campers, so I thought I'd give it a try. Went on a camping trip last weekend and didn't even take my tent. This was nice because it takes up a lot less space, is lighter than my tent, and I slept great.

It probably won't replace the tent all the time, but it's a good option when the weather is nice. I might consider getting a tarp for it so I can take it even if there is a chance of rain.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM   #2
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Interesting! I've never slept in a hammock. Is it comfortable and OK for people who are prone to back injuries? My brother and I have been on several moto camping trips and never use a tent , just a small air mattress and a tarp for the sleeping bags. Nothing better than sleeping out under a starry night.

Old June 4th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Blue Monster
ninjette.org member

Name: Dixie

Motorcycle(s): so many?

Nice looking rig, who makes it? I used to use a Hennessy rig, but unless the bugs are bad I just use a 'mock and tarp.

I have been using a hammock for going on 15 years, used them all over the world in darn near every weather condition.
Nothing beats the weight and convenience, not to mention never worrying about level or wet ground. Check out "Kelty Noah's Tarp" 12' one is 2 lbs. and is the perfect match to a hammock. I consider it the best piece of kit I own.
http://www.kelty.com/showproduct.asp...ame=noahs-tarp

Looking at your pic, may I suggest: stringing it lower and tighter. If you get them really tight you can sleep at 10-20% off center and be flat enough to sleep on your side. Low so you can steady or pick up gear just by putting your hand on the ground. I continually cinch mine up til bedtime, they take a little weight and time to stretch to their full length. Run two, high 550 lines and Te-pee the tarp using the extra eyes to close the ends and you are weather proof with some extra room and a cloths line overhead

Day time I take it way up so I can use it as a coffee sippin' chair.

Hey Green, I have a terrible back and actually have a nice spreader hammock inside. They seem to give me a little traction in some positions and have always offered me comfort when sciatica kicks up. They take a few nights to really get used to but once you get it, they rock (ouch).
Blue Monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
The hammock is the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. I got it from Amazon for a good price. I liked it because the mosquito net is sewn on and it's a roomy hammock too.

Thanks for the tip Blue Monster I'll have to try that. I did sleep in it for two nights and was plenty comfortable though. I can't wait for the next time I get to use it.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 07:00 PM   #5
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Get an RV, you hobos.

Beware. You may be mistaken for a silk-web cocoon spider and be doused with napalm by plant-rights-activists trying to exterminate invasive species.

Know your local silk-web-cocoon-spider-impersonation laws before you tread too far from the designated camp ground area.

Old June 4th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #6
corksil

Never mind I meant to say tent caterpillar.

Old June 5th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #7
Joshua763
ninjette.org guru

Name: josh

Motorcycle(s): five honda's one harley one ninja most have sold all where fun.(one honda was a moped)

I have one from the military surplus store. Its a smart way to camp.
Joshua763 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #8
corksil

Admittedly, that's exactly how I'd do it ^^