Old November 22nd, 2017, 01:20 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Honda Recalls Nearly 2,500 CBR1000RRs for Fuel System Issues

Honda Recalls Nearly 2,500 CBR1000RRs for Fuel System Issues

A leaky cap could let water into the fuel tank

Back in October, Honda issued a recall on 2,443 CBR1000RR and CBR1000RR SP motorcycles due to an issue with the fuel tank. Apparently there may be a gap between the fuel cap and the filler neck that can let water into the tank. As we all know, water has an*extremely poor energy density, and tends not to combust except under dire circumstances. Its introduction into a bike's fuel system can cause loss of power and stalling which is, as they say in the industry,*no bueno.*

READ MORE: 2017 Honda CBR1000RR SP Finally Revealed

Shortly after announcing the recall, Honda sent a stop sale notice to dealers that read:

“Honda is launching a SAFETY RECALL on all model year 2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1 motorcycles to replace the fuel cap assembly. If the fuel cap seal swells, a gap may occur between the fuel tank cap seal and the fuel filler neck. The gap may allow water to enter the fuel tank from the outside. If water enters the fuel tank, it may cause engine stalling. Safety Consequence An engine stall could result in the loss of power and may increase the risk of a crash. Effective immediately, YOU MUST NOT SELL any NEW or USED 2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1 motorcycles: AFFECTED UNITS All 2017 CBR1000RR/RA/S1.”

READ MORE: Honda Issues Recall for 2015, 2016 CRF450R models

That's pretty intense, but ultimately a good call. I know that I wouldn't want to be leaned over in a hard corner while my engine was trying to burn water.

The recall officially goes into effect on December 4. Honda will notify owners, and dealers will change out the fuel caps on any affected bikes. If a bike already has water in the fuel system, dealers will replace any parts affected by the water. These repairs will be done free of charge.

READ MORE: BMW Recalls 2014-2017 R Nine T for Swingarm Bolt Issues

For more info, owners can call Honda at 866-784-1870 or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration at*888-327-4236.

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...