ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old August 16th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Protective gear for 5yo

I can't believe I'm even asking this....

Here's the situation: I'm going to need to get my 5yo to school this year one day e/o week, and I don't have a car (wife does, but not available then).

And my dilemma: She asked how I felt about taking him on my motorcycle, which sounds like a blast, but I'm a very cautious father when it comes to kids and motorcycles on the street. Hypothetically we would only ride within our neighborhood, which does not have thru-traffic. We access the school at a closed-to-traffic point, so the only school traffic would be neighborhood traffic that do the same thing. I am confident it can be done safely, with minimal risk, but of course don't want a precedence setting slippery-slope of taking children on my motorcycle. Not judging those who do, but it makes me very uncomfortable (outside my sleepy neighborhood).

And to the question: Kids on bikes has been discussed elsewhere, so I'm not intending to open debate, but am interested in available gear for a kindergartener.... I know how to fit a helmet for an adult, and assume it is similar for a child, but it is more difficult to find a child sized full-faced helmet in a local store.... at least I think it is. I MAY have to go on-line (if we decided to do this). Do the sizing charts (brain measurements) tend to be accurate? Any recommendations? Other than starting here and with google, I didn't know where to start. Other than BMX gear, I have never even seen small riding gear. If I had, than I would have riding pants that fit!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM   #2
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

They do sell gear for kids. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but motorcycle superstore has gear for kids. Its not particularly street bike gear...but it is gear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ding-Gear.aspx
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #3
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

You will probably have an easier time by purchasing dirtbike gear for his size. It might look a little funny on a sport bike, however protection is what's important.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #4
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones91 View Post
They do sell gear for kids. Not sure if this is what you are looking for but motorcycle superstore has gear for kids. Its not particularly street bike gear...but it is gear.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ding-Gear.aspx
Funny, but I got the weekly promotional from there right after posting, and was looking through their catalog. It does look like they have the type of helmet I'm looking for, but will have to cross my fingers when it comes to fit. Hopefully I won't have to do exchanges...... However, I was also just informed that schedules have been arranged, so it might be moot. But it wouldn't hurt to have back-up.

Old August 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #5
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
You will probably have an easier time by purchasing dirtbike gear for his size. It might look a little funny on a sport bike, however protection is what's important.

+1

Old August 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

As your looking for a helmet for a kindergartener...id prolly have to throw out there the idea of a womens XS helmet. thats prolly the smallest you'd be able to find anywhere. 22, no kids...dont plan on any anytime soon so thats about all i got for ya ha.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #7
gwilo
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '05 Warrior 1700 , '09 Aprilia Mana 850, Ninja 250 still looking

Dirt bike equipment would be the easiest to find.

Except for the helmet look at Craigslist, as next year you will need to up size everything.

Also buy what the 'kid' likes this way they will wear it and will not loose it.

$ 10.00 more for 1 item is nothing, compared to the cost to replace that item when they loose it

AND do not forget about the boots and small backpack, for shoes and to store boots and gloves during the day.

Old August 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Kygirl
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250R 1979 SuzukiGS425E

HJC makes full-size street helmets in youth sizes. $80ish Check out the "catzilla" HJC youth. Pretty cool kids helmet!
Kygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:05 AM   #9
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Had no idea they made childrens gear..

Found this after about 2seconds of looking lol.
http://www.aplpowersports.com/mm5/me...stingOffset=12
Hope it helps
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 01:42 PM   #10
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

You can try Iron Pony also, they have a decent selection of kids sport bike helmets.

http://ironpony.com/ironponydirect/B...EET%20PRODUCTS
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #11
headshrink

I doubt it will see much use, but I ended up buying the Gmax youth model. I found it for just under $80 at bikebandit. I sure hope it fits! If it's too big it should fit my 9YO (I hope). When I searched for kids street jackets I only found 1 or 2 options.... I hope I don't have to look at dirt gear, but will do what I have to. Might Craigslist be a decent option for kids gear (I would assume lots of lightly used stuff)?

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #12
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Get those huge velcro sticky pads, and stick him to you so he wont fall off. Or, get one of those backpacks and just put him in it.

Old September 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #13
headshrink

And the helmet doesn't fit. I used the Gmax sizing chart, which claimed he is a youth-medium, but he isn't. It is so over-sized that a sneeze could blow this thing off his head! We decided to pay for the gas to drive 45min. in traffic to go to Cycle Gear, but unfortunately they had very little to offer for kids, which surprised me since it is a pretty big store. Although they didn't have one in stock, they happened to have a youth-small that we could try (I think it was ordered for another customer). The y-s did seem to fit the 10YO, and be a touch loose on the 5YO. We determined that ordering the 30mm check pads for the y-s should fit the 5YO. So.... if we continue to pursue this, this is the next move.

Old September 18th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #14
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

I let my kids use the bicycle helmet when they ride with me in the scooter. I keep the speed at bay or as fast as they ride their bicycles.
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote