ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 19th, 2020, 02:37 PM   #1
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Question 07 Carburetor Rebuild

Hello everyone,

I'm rebuilding an 07 EX250 and have started by taking apart the carburetor, I am interested in knowing what rebuild kits you all have purchased and what sort of mistakes you came across.

I have found that my pilot jet head was broken off and now i need to track down the proper drill bit and screw extractor bit in order to take it out.

I also found that my floats are orange and not white like the ones I've seen in many videos and photos.

In addition I found that the needle on the side with the broken jet head had heavy build up.

The coasting enricher diaphragm was cracked and the spring had been replaced and I believe there was jb weld on covering a hold in the middle of the outer cap.

I have not purchased a rebuild kit yet, but I do intend to replace:
- all the jets
- gaskets
- diaphragms and springs
- needle
- float and float needle

Follow along on Tik Tok @honoriosotojr
JayVapes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2020, 09:32 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi Honorio, not sure there’s a “kit” available as each restoration job is different with requiring different parts to be replaced with new OEM parts. Which can be ordered from any number of suppliers.

You’ll also want to split carbs and replace:

- fuel-rail O-rings
- pilot jet O-rings, washers, springs
- float-bowl seals

Do search here for “clean carbs ducatiman” to get feel for what’s involved and required. Needs lots of manual labour with scrubbing, flossing and poking.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2020, 07:36 AM   #3
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
This section has a lot of info and photos - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2020, 10:25 AM   #4
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
remember, clean carbs matter

and a clean carb is a happy carb
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meme357.jpg (107.7 KB, 5 views)
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote

Old August 24th, 2020, 06:52 PM   #5
SibSerge
ninjette.org member

Name: Sergey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ZZR250 (EX250H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVapes View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm rebuilding an 07 EX250 and have started by taking apart the carburetor, I am interested in knowing what rebuild kits you all have purchased and what sort of mistakes you came across.

I have found that my pilot jet head was broken off and now i need to track down the proper drill bit and screw extractor bit in order to take it out.

I also found that my floats are orange and not white like the ones I've seen in many videos and photos.

In addition I found that the needle on the side with the broken jet head had heavy build up.

The coasting enricher diaphragm was cracked and the spring had been replaced and I believe there was jb weld on covering a hold in the middle of the outer cap.

I have not purchased a rebuild kit yet, but I do intend to replace:
- all the jets
- gaskets
- diaphragms and springs
- needle
- float and float needle

Follow along on Tik Tok @honoriosotojr

One mistake I have NOT made (thanks to this forum) while cleaning my carbs is replacing the perfect OEM jets and other metal parts with the cheapo parts from the kit. I gave them very good cleaning instead and they looked like way better made than those which came with the kit.
SibSerge is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 1st, 2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Kawinoob217
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Yellowing of the floats is normal with gas sitting around them. OEM replacements from Kawasaki can be a bit expensive. I'd submerge them in some water and keep them there for a bit to see if they take on any liquid. If not that I'd have no problems not replacing them. Also, if you're going to be taking them apart and cleaning them and tuning quite a bit (I know I was when I first got my bike working), I'd look at replacing the screws that bolt the carb bowls to the carb body. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they come with phillips head screws? I'd take one of those bad boys down to the local hardware store and replace it with some hardware that you can crank with hex key Allen wrenches. You're a lot less likely to strip those.
Kawinoob217 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2020, 10:07 AM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Not phillips, it's JIS. Using phillips screwdriver will strip screw heads.

https://www.motorcycle.com/ask-mo-an...-phillips.html
https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/d...s-head-screws/

Good idea with socket-head, much more secure connection with tool. Be careful about over-tightening.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote