ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM   #1
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Name: Suzanne

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Need to raise handlebars more than risers

OK all you youngsters, 54 year old Ninja momma here. Bought my 1st bike (2010 Ninja 250r) as a result of empty nest 8 months ago and am having a BLAST (just reached 3000 miles). I can't imagine trading up to a more powerful bike if I can get this up to 90mph with ease. The light weight is soooo much fun around curves and maneuvering in tight spots.

Now to my question: Since I'm older and the padding (cartilage) between joints has dwindled a bit - I would like to be able to have handle bars higher so I can ride in a more upright position, as my wrist and hands hurt after a few hours in the saddle. I have added the 1" risers, which helped immensely, but would still like to have them higher. I realize that I would probably have to buy all new (longer) cables to reach, as I had to re-route the clutch cable for the 1" riser (because it sheared after one month of riding) I have look on the net and haven't found a solution. Thought about going to a machine shop to have something built similar to the Ninja 650r that has a regular type swoopy handle bars that are more upright and come back a little more - or just 3" risers

Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg moon 042.jpg (155.4 KB, 33 views)
Ninjamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Ninjamomma! Glad you found us...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Welcome! I do think you can have 2 inch risers installed on the bike.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 09:57 AM   #4
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

When I started riding couple months ago, I put a lot of pressure and stress on my hands not only with the death-grip of nerves but with my weight as well. I found an article that discusses proper grip and weigh-distribution a couple of weeks into riding and I've been putting it into practice with great result. I'm heading out to work right now, but I'll try and find it for you tonight. It basically says to relax your grip and put zero weight on the handlebars. Hug the bike with your legs and use your legs and torso to support yourself. At first you might find it uncomfortable, but you'll get used to it in no time. Not only does this eliminate fatigue and shocks from road bumps traveling right up your arms to your shoulder, your body will feel more one with the bike and you'll make turns with more confidence. Incidentally, this is also the advice I received at the MSF course, but I guess I was too focused on passing instead of listening to the finer points that the coach made.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

I've tried body mechanics. What I do do (not poop) is shift positions regularly by leaning more on the tank so not to lock elbows and lighten (relax) pressure on hands, but after awhile I get back fatigue so I have to shift again. I drive with one hand when the situation is safe to do so. This is why I just want to have higher bars so I can sit more upright like you see on BMW (Can't afford one of those right now)

Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #6
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Welcome!!
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:07 PM   #7
kkim

you could simply purchase a second set of 1" risers and source some longer mounting bolts. you would definitely have to extend the cables.

welcome to ninjette.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM   #8
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

WELL, I thought about that, but when taking off the handlebars, there was only 1/2" of the fork tube showing that you place the riser over. A second riser would seem to be just floating with the strength of the screws only. A little scary, but I'm not savvy on what can be done safely.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #9
kkim

the strength comes from the bolts holding the bars down through the risers and into the triple clamp. As long as those bolts are torqued down to proper specs, you should be fine.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #10
slolane
Motorcyclist

When we get a 2nd set of risers I think I will test this. I will order the stuff early March, I guess I'm going to need...

1. 2nd set of risers
2. Longer bar bolts (4)
3. Longer clutch cable
4. Longer front brake line
5. Longer throttle cables

Anyone have a good resource for the longer lines/cables?

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:28 PM   #11
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
the strength comes from the bolts holding the bars down through the risers and into the triple clamp. As long as those bolts are torqued down to proper specs, you should be fine.
I agree with this. The blocks are just spacers, to fill the space. The strength is all in the bolts.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:31 PM   #12
kkim

while adding another set of risers is viable, one might consider if a few simple changes on how you sit on the bike can be improved first, before you go through such drastic changes.

a few ergonomic changes can do wonders for how you are situated on the bike... a lower seat, seat reshape, control placements, lower pegs are all things that can be done to help how you feel more comfortable to the bike.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #13
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjamomma View Post
What I do do (not poop)
ha ha! Welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
oroboros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:56 PM   #14
warlord
ninjette.org guru

You can always mod your bike to use MX handlebars, then you can easily get whatever height risers you want...

Looks like this (just watch the intro part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPX8k...yer_detailpage

Done like this:

http://www.kawiforums.com/2007-2008-...ml#post1625570

Old February 23rd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #15
AMMOCAN
SLIME-R

Name: AMMOCAN

Motorcycle(s): *SOLD* '10 Kawasaki 250R SE A.K.A. SLIME-R *SOLD*

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:37 AM   #16
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post

Wow, that's really awesome! I wonder how it would affect the handling. I was hoping the guy would eventually post a note on riding impressions.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:49 AM   #17
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

More padding in the gloves, maybe a set of gel cycling gloves would help.

Get a secured tank bag that allow you to rest against it, relieve the weight from your shoulders/arms/wrists by laying on top or against the tank bag.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #18
slolane
Motorcyclist

I like those bars! A lot of guys on the zx14's would run an LSL bar bit like that and loved em, good info. May look into this for wifes bike.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:13 PM   #19
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Change in handlebars for more upright position

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord View Post
You can always mod your bike to use MX handlebars, then you can easily get whatever height risers you want...

Looks like this (just watch the intro part)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPX8k...yer_detailpage

Done like this:

http://www.kawiforums.com/2007-2008-...ml#post1625570
OMG - thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly what I had in mind - to get away from the screw down handlebars that you would have to keep adding risers, to more of a clip so I can choose whatever handlebar I want.

Is the triple tree in the 2nd link just taken off his bike. I'm new to motorcycling and haven't done anything but replace a clutch cable so I have to ask many questions.

Do you know where you can get the modification parts to mount to the triple tree? I may need to join that forum to get the results from the poster.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think I'm going to move this over to the Tech section, as it has good info on a particular mod for our bikes.

/moved to Tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:59 PM   #21
kkim

just be aware that when going to that type of handlebar, you will more than likely have clearance problems with them hitting the fairings. no first hand experience, just a guess from comparing the shapes.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:16 PM   #22
nattygirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Natalie

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 Special Edition Red/Black

Maybe a riser that is more ergonomically correct would be better. Angled risers rotate the bars forward rather than rising them, so it's more ergonomically correct for your wrists. I'm waiting on an order of these myself, but not really sure when/if I'll get them. You can buy them here. This has been a confirmed good source for ninja parts from thailand.

http://www.club517superbike.com/prod...99-4038-2.html

I have the Roaring Toyz Risers as well and I'm looking to place this directly above it. My bike is lowered an inch though, so I'm hoping I'll have some play with the clutch cable without having to replace it.

Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:17 PM   #23
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Quote:
OMG - thank you, thank you, thank you. This is exactly what I had in mind - to get away from the screw down handlebars that you would have to keep adding risers, to more of a clip so I can choose whatever handlebar I want.

Is the triple tree in the 2nd link just taken off his bike. I'm new to motorcycling and haven't done anything but replace a clutch cable so I have to ask many questions.

Do you know where you can get the modification parts to mount to the triple tree? I may need to join that forum to get the results from the poster.
I found another youtube that show the handlebar modification much better for any one wanting to sit more upright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IrtI2VYZHs

Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:49 PM   #24
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Beet and a couple of other companies make some nice risers for other handle bars. The only downside may be the cost, brake line and cable lengths. Some good re-routing of the cables and possibly a longer brake line should be easy to do. It would be a good excuse for SS brake lines.

http://japan.webike.net/products/9651934.html
http://japan.webike.net/products/1903580.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0605-ka6-00.jpg (231.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 005-k0005.jpg (224.1 KB, 26 views)
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:59 PM   #25
Ninjamomma
ninjette.org member

Hey Blue,

Thanks for the links. This is great!!! Now I don't have to figure out how to engineer the mod. since I couldn't find anything like this anywhere.

You did mention there were other sites beside Web-bike. That Japanese site is very hard to understand what they offer or what is included in purchase. Very garbled and broken english, almost like a computer translated. So, do you know any sites in the US that offer a bolt on to the triple tree change in handlebars?

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #26
warlord
ninjette.org guru

I would do it with the stock triple tree, although you can buy an after market one or a spare one from ebay. There are all sorts of mounts available, different heights and angles. Not to mention that the bars can be mounted at any number of various angles full upright or tilted back.

If you use the stock triple you should be able to reuse the original handle mounting holes, you only need two of them as each MX bar clamp only needs one hole to mount. Look:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ar-Mounts.aspx

Old February 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #27
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Hey Blue,

Thanks for the links. This is great!!! Now I don't have to figure out how to engineer the mod. since I couldn't find anything like this anywhere.

You did mention there were other sites beside Web-bike. That Japanese site is very hard to understand what they offer or what is included in purchase. Very garbled and broken english, almost like a computer translated. So, do you know any sites in the US that offer a bolt on to the triple tree change in handlebars?
The Beet Model comes with the adapter plate, screws and clamps, no bars.
The BabyFace Model only comes with the adapter plate and screws, no clamp, no bars.

Spiegler (http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm) also makes clamps and risers but I not sure if any are Ninja 250R specific. They may be able to help you custom fit one from a Ninja 500 that has 37mm fork tubes. I would email them and find out. mail@spieglerusa.com
http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #28
4950cycle
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 06 EX 250, 75 CB 125 S, 2011 Fang Bobber

All outdated and gone

I notice all this stuff is out of stock, Outdated or just plain non existent anymore except for that super expensive " BEET" setup.
4950cycle is offline   Reply With Quote