Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 25th, 2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
calling all shorties!

I've been looking through this forum and clicking link upon link upon link. Going to stores, you name it. Trying to find leather pants that fit. Men's, women's, dog's, I don't care at this point, if it fits I will buy it.

Could we have an all in one thread that people can put their gear suggestions for short riders?

I know I am in dire need of suggestions here. I've checked out Spartanleathers.com for custom leathers for when I can do regular track days (not trying to get ahead of myself here, I know where I'm at) but is that the only option for someone with my inseam (27.5 inches at the floor/26.5 at the ankle bone, I always just went in the middle with 27 cuz I know not all companies measure it the same)?

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2018, 03:28 PM   #2
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

I feel your pain. Getting decent gear is a hassle for the less than medium among us.

I've found gear on craigslist and ebay. Cycle Gear (if one is close) may have something that will fit you.

Ride on,

J~

Old July 25th, 2018, 03:37 PM   #3
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Moto liberty

https://motoliberty.com

Email: boss@motoliberty.com

She will fix you up.

I wear mens RS Taichi pants and jacket.

Old July 25th, 2018, 03:55 PM   #4
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
@snapshot My coworker and I made the hour drive to Cycle Gear this last Monday. The guy helping me was super nice, and he tried very hard to help me spend my money. However, the store just lacked a variety of inventory. I walked in there with a large chunk of money to spend and after spending at least an hour in there I walked out with a back protector.

The women's section had no leather at all. One Alpinestars textile jacket (which I did try on so I know my size), oodles of Sidici/Bilt textile jackets and pants. So we went to the men's section. One pair of Sidici leather pants, one pair of Bilt spirit in a large (they had them in the women's section on a random rack but the website they are in the men's stuff), or your choice of A*/Dainese one piece. I tried on the Sidici Dino pants, a size 32 short. they just might have worked, but I needed a size 30 short. No problem, I figured I could go on the website and order it. Nope, discontinued and none of the new pants they have online were in store. salesguy said they don't send near as much product to the stores as they used to.

I'll take a look around on ebay see what I can find.

@snot I can't remember if I looked up Motoliberty, I don't think I did. I know I saw that you've recommended RS Taichi before, and looking at their homepage I think I somehow missed it in my search.

thanks if anybody else is short, tell me what you're wearing lol.

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12

Old July 25th, 2018, 04:03 PM   #5
snapshot
Fogwalker

Koala,

I'll put up a post on FB asking my petite-gal friends where they get their gear and see what they have to offer. I know a lot of them, so someone should have something.

When I attended the women rider's event at Kawi HQ a couple of years ago, the number one complaint was a lack of good gear for women. (The second was seat height...)

Best,

J~

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 25th, 2018, 04:39 PM   #6
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot View Post
Koala,

I'll put up a post on FB asking my petite-gal friends where they get their gear and see what they have to offer. I know a lot of them, so someone should have something.

When I attended the women rider's event at Kawi HQ a couple of years ago, the number one complaint was a lack of good gear for women. (The second was seat height...)

Best,

J~
sweet, thanks so much!

I've looked at so much gear in the past week. There is a lot out there for women that I like, but nothing for shorter people. Like I said, at this point, I don't care if it's men's or women's if it fits. the measurements I've seen are so wacky though. Like, one budget site that was mentioned in a different thread had measurements of 30 inch waist with 40 inch hips, what????? are there a bunch of men around with teeny waists, huge hips, and abnormally long legs, and I just never noticed Apparently Dainese offers short/tall sizes BUT not for women, and I would be the smallest on the men's size chart.....wait for it......they don't actually offer that size

it's been eye opening to say the least...
@snot I shot an email off to that address, thanks again!

Old July 25th, 2018, 06:03 PM   #7
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I get size 44 one-piece suits. Then cut off about 3cm from ends of sleeves and legs.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2018, 06:22 PM   #8
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Look at youth sizes as well. If you have a small waistline and narrow hips the pants will work.

Also, the pants I have are for someone 3 inches taller, but they fit me just fine.

Old July 25th, 2018, 07:50 PM   #9
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Dainese has smaller sizes but they're also for very thin people

Old July 26th, 2018, 02:21 PM   #10
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Yeah, I don't have a teeny waist and I have hips, so youth sizes would be out. If I weighed what I did in my 20s it would work I'm near the top of the weight range for my height/age. 127 pounds with a 31.5 inch waist (28 inch natural waist) and 36 inch hips.

I wasn't sure if a couple inches longer would be ok or not. I figured it would be, as long as the armor is in the right place, that's what matters.

Old July 26th, 2018, 05:36 PM   #11
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Hemming pants isn't tough, nor is it expensive if you get a professional seamstress/tailor to do it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2018, 04:33 AM   #12
snapshot
Fogwalker

Koala,

I've a friend in Texas that's willing to part with her two-piece leathers. I think they'll fit you. They're made by Z Custom leathers. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll put you two in touch.

Luck,

J~

Old July 27th, 2018, 11:29 AM   #13
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Hemming pants isn't tough, nor is it expensive if you get a professional seamstress/tailor to do it.
Yup, I have regular person that does all my dress pants and suits for $20/pr. Brought in my track suit, no problem $20 for legs and $20 for arms and off-the-rack suit fits perfectly! Only difference is they sew in stopper bump so zipper-pull don't fly off cut ends.

Old July 27th, 2018, 01:26 PM   #14
snapshot
Fogwalker

Everyone I've been in touch with has had custom leathers made.

That's all I have...

Luck,

J~

Old July 27th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #15
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapshot View Post
Koala,

I've a friend in Texas that's willing to part with her two-piece leathers. I think they'll fit you. They're made by Z Custom leathers. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll put you two in touch.

Luck,

J~
pm sent!

Old July 29th, 2018, 03:19 PM   #16
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
well, I found a pair of AGV Sport Willow perforated pants on Ebay in my size and got the seller to switch to buy it now so I didn't have to pay attention to an auction. We'll see if I have to have them tailored, but I'm happy, I have the AGV Sport Diamond Women's jacket and I love it

Old July 29th, 2018, 03:34 PM   #17
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Excellent! I hope it works out for you! Finding good gear can be a pain.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:01 PM   #18
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
In about 2 weeks you will be able to try on a number of one piece suits and have a better idea of what size you are.

Patience young grasshopper.....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:14 PM   #19
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
In about 2 weeks you will be able to try on a number of one piece suits and have a better idea of what size you are.

Patience young grasshopper.....
yes, sensei

I wish I had recorded me attempting to put on an A* one piece at Cycle Gear. I was cracking up, I had my co worker cracking up, and even managed to make the guy helping me find stuff laugh. the guy gave me a size 40, which may have worked, though I have found my jacket and pants sizes are different in A*. I had my work clothes on because we cleaned that morning, so I was still wearing my Under Armor compression pants. which was cool, cuz I figure I can wear those under leathers anyways for ease of putting on/taking off. this thing weighed a ton, I was having to hold it up to the height of my head so it wouldn't drag on the floor. I tried multiple times to get my leg in but it wouldn't so then I put my arm in and it went in fine but for some reason my foot kept getting caught in the liner or something.but my hand and arm slid right through it. I fought with it for like 10 minutes and then gave up lol. I was totally confused as to why I could put my arm through it no problem but my foot wouldn't go in

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:46 PM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala View Post
I fought with it for like 10 minutes and then gave up lol. I was totally confused as to why I could put my arm through it no problem but my foot wouldn't go in
They have cut outs so you can remove the knee armor for proper suit cleaning. My foot also gets caught up in those knee pockets any given track day about 7:50AM, no less than 10m before I am required to be on track

So goes the troubles of riding...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2018, 06:56 PM   #21
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
They have cut outs so you can remove the knee armor for proper suit cleaning. My foot also gets caught up in those knee pockets any given track day about 7:50AM, no less than 10m before I am required to be on track

So goes the troubles of riding...
ahhh, i see, said the blind man....

Old July 29th, 2018, 09:01 PM   #22
DannoXYZ

Hahahahahh!!! I fought those pockets this weekend at 9:10am BOTH days. Saturday was my left foot getting stuck. Sunday was right foot. Sometimes the left shoulder armour spins around so inside curve faces outwards! I end up looking like some grumpy samurai with wardrobe malfunction!

Old July 30th, 2018, 02:17 PM   #23
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/...-2-Piece-Suit-
Size 38 fit me. So I bought it.

Oh, my measurements are almost identical to yours.

Old July 30th, 2018, 03:07 PM   #24
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hahahahahh!!! I fought those pockets this weekend at 9:10am BOTH days. Saturday was my left foot getting stuck. Sunday was right foot. Sometimes the left shoulder armour spins around so inside curve faces outwards! I end up looking like some grumpy samurai with wardrobe malfunction!
I laughed so hard when I read this, I'm glad I'm not the only one with issues getting through those pockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
https://www.ironpony.com/ipd/pi.asp/...-2-Piece-Suit-
Size 38 fit me. So I bought it.

Oh, my measurements are almost identical to yours.
thanks for the link, and knowing how it fits you helps a lot!

Old July 30th, 2018, 04:00 PM   #25
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
They are in cbus

Old July 30th, 2018, 04:38 PM   #26
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Couple of photos, not the best pictures.

Arms and legs are a little long but my gloves and boots fit fine with the suit. $289.00 at Iron Pony. I rode the KLX in the suit today as well, no issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0730181912_HDR~2.jpg (112.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 0730181911_HDR~3.jpg (68.1 KB, 7 views)

Old July 30th, 2018, 05:23 PM   #27
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
sounds like I need to talk to the main office at work and see if the columbus office needs help for a day

Old July 30th, 2018, 06:33 PM   #28
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
They are open on weekends, too.

Old August 5th, 2018, 03:37 PM   #29
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
My AGV pants arrived on Friday. I just got done trying them on. If they had made a size 28, I could have gone for it. Going by the reviews, I'm not the first person to say so, but it's ok. They fit well enough for why I bought them. I zipped them up to my AGV jacket and tried it all on together. All good in that hood. Only issue is with the legs being a little long. I can get the knee armor in the right place no problem, but the armor itself, with it going down the shin, is the issue. It's supposed to do that, but I have short legs lol. So the armor going down my leg is preventing my boots from zipping up. Both my A* and my Joe Rocket boots zip up fine over jeans, but with this armor (and the leather slightly bunched) the A* still need an inch to go up and the JR only go half way.

Will I just have to try and pull the pants down over my boots, or is there another solution?

edit to add - after looking at Revzilla, I'm thinking I could take out the AGV armor and replace it with Icon D30 knee pads. That should work right? it sounds from the reviews that the knee pads are universal.

Last futzed with by Koala; August 5th, 2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: found a solution

Old August 5th, 2018, 05:49 PM   #30
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Try pulling the legs up, not down.
When I put my boots on I pull the legs up, then put the boots on. All the bunching ends up above the boot, when on the bike your knees are bent and I hardly notice it.

In my Joe R. Pants I moved the guard up, there are multipal adjustments in the legs.

Old August 5th, 2018, 06:10 PM   #31
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
Try pulling the legs up, not down.
When I put my boots on I pull the legs up, then put the boots on. All the bunching ends up above the boot, when on the bike your knees are bent and I hardly notice it.

In my Joe R. Pants I moved the guard up, there are multipal adjustments in the legs.
I pulled them up a little to get the armor in the right spot. I just felt around in there, not sure if the armor itself can be moved up higher. It might end up being a combination of pulling the lower part of leg up and the Icon d30 that will do it. I measured the length of the AGV armor and it's 15 inches compared to the Icon at 9 inches. That difference alone should make it to where I can zip up my A*. Doing a combo of that and what you suggested would make it to where I can zip up the Joe Rocket's, since they are taller and zip all the way up.

Old November 29th, 2018, 11:44 PM   #32
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Have you tried looking for asian brand such as Komine and RS Taichi? Their sizes are really small and catered for Asian. I am 5' 8'' and considered tall for most Malaysian, and I can only fit a triple X L for Komine touring jacket. But not leathers. For leathers I had to buy Europe brand.

Old November 30th, 2018, 05:06 PM   #33
Koala
ninjette.org sage

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
Have you tried looking for asian brand such as Komine and RS Taichi? Their sizes are really small and catered for Asian. I am 5' 8'' and considered tall for most Malaysian, and I can only fit a triple X L for Komine touring jacket. But not leathers. For leathers I had to buy Europe brand.
I checked out RS Taichi after snot recommended them. I'll either go that route or custom leathers. What I have right now will work for the few track days I plan on doing next year. If I get to where I can do more than that, I'll figure out which route I wish to go. Thanks!

Old December 2nd, 2018, 09:02 AM   #34
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Koala, you should be able to take the armor out and trim it with scisors or tin snips. That way you don’t have to buy more stuff.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote