ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 24th, 2018, 09:26 PM   #1
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 Kawasaki Ninja 250 “Baroness”

Mental block?

For some reason I have zero difficulty making left turns even at fairly aggressive (to me anyway) speeds, right turns however are another story I just cannot seem to lean the bike as hard nor turn as sharply or smoothly I am good up to about 30mph then right becomes scary even on roads I know perfectly having driven them in cars 100 times plus. An example is a curve on a particular road I run at 45 ish westbound (left curve) but eastbound (right curve) I drop to near 30. What am I doing wrong? Mental block? Or do these ninjas run better left?

Old August 25th, 2018, 03:30 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Mental block. Tips:

- Be mindful of tension. Relax. You should be able to flap your elbows (do the "chicken dance"). You should never have a death grip on the bars. You can literally operate a motorcycle with your fingertips.

- Lift your vision. Look farther down the road... everything will appear to slow down for you. You go where you look, just like a horse.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2018, 04:21 AM   #3
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Being of the lean and lanky persuasion elbow flapping is easy arms are all floppy floppy. Grip is usually just thumb and index finger but these have little to do with tension in the sense I am experiencing it. I’ve been on the motorcycle for under a month so tension is prevelant in my shoulderblades. Looking where I want to go I am in the process of learning looking down is something I hate doing because I start lane drifting so I avoid it. And horses? Really? Those 8-1200 lb smelly barely controlled balls of madness? (A joke i never learned how to ride a horse)

Old August 25th, 2018, 04:51 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

The flappy elbows thing is just to remind you to relax overall. If you feel any tension, anywhere, you're doing it wrong.

A lot of this game is in your head. It's about having confidence in the bike and your ability to place it where you want it to be. You're slowing way down because you lack that confidence. You're also tensing up in your shoulders because you lack that confidence.

It's a safe bet that now you've got it in your head that turning right is harder, it'll continue to be harder until you're able to get past that. And it's all in your mind... the bike doesn't behave any differently turning one way vs. the other.

It'll get better with time, don't worry.

There's this one little corner near me that I once took fast enough to give me a jolt of adrenaline... felt like I was going to run off and I puckered right up. Every time I go through there I remember that ride. Now I do it a whole lot faster and just laugh. If I were a squid I could probably double my speed through there relative to that day.

Next time you go for a ride, as you go through corners think about your hands. How tight are you, really? Be mindful of this and really focus on what's actually going on vs. your overall beliefs. I ask this because if you're tight on the bars, you're applying an unnecessary input to the bike. You're fighting it. If you're fighting the bike, well, sure it's not going to want to turn.

My bike is smarter than I am. Once I give it the correct initial input, it will happily track through the corner all by itself. Anything I do after that just upsets things.

Old August 25th, 2018, 04:57 AM   #5
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

What I am hearing in a nutshell correct me if I am wrong is. 1 relax everything above hip level. 2 trust the machine it doesn’t care left or right.

I’ll check back in a few hours it’s time for me to head to the MSF course where I intend on learning the things and stuff. And having fun that’s important too.

Thanks for the help sir.

Old August 25th, 2018, 06:03 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Yes. But why from the hip up only? Chill overall.

Old August 25th, 2018, 08:09 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
You will never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, purposely enter a corner any faster than you truly believe you have the skill to steer through it. - csmith
Head to a parking lot, make A LOT of right turns. Learn to love them, think about them, smell them, taste them, take a picture of yourself riding though a right turn, print it out and put it under your pillow at night.

Mr. Fist has started you on the right path. Visual skills will guide you through any corner and good throttle control will complete the basic package to manage your concern with right handers. Look up, look far, find some markers and execute those markers at a comfortable entry speed. It is common for riders to prefer a side, left or right. Think about what is going on for the right side. HINT: the throttle is on that side, what else is on that side? What other input do you have to put into the bike to turn right?

Overall, there is a lot of things going on to make a right turn.
1. You have to set entry speed - right side of bike
2. You have to manage the throttle + braking during downshifting - right side of bike
3. You have to manage the rear brake (if used) - right side of bike
4. You have to turn your head to the right
5. You have to push the right bar to turn the bike

It makes perfect sense that you currently prefer left turns over rights at your current skill level. Practice and it will feel better over time. Don't just practice in general, practice skills that will make you a better rider and your comfort with rights will come automatically.

Good luck and enjoy your MSF class.

ps... Always keep it fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 25th, 2018, 10:12 AM   #8
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Quick update lunch break at MSF. They told me basically the same about the various stuff on right side and we have had some good wheel time so far I am really enjoying this glad I got into a class this season. Re: relaxing from hip up I thought one was supposed to grip with knees rather tightly?

Old August 25th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #9
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Only grip with your knees if you actually have to. Otherwise, relax any muscle you don't need in this minute to control the bike. I tend to hold tension in my quads and still have to consciously relax while riding. Gripping too hard for too long starts to hurt. And definitely hurts the next day.

I'm less confident about right turns than lefts, too, especially 90 degree corners in town. They're tighter than lefts, for one thing. So I tend to take a couple extra rights when I get home, to practice. Go around the block before going home.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Koala
ninjette.org sage

Name: Koala

Motorcycle(s): 2017 Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition

MOTM - May '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Head to a parking lot, make A LOT of right turns. Learn to love them, think about them, smell them, taste them, take a picture of yourself riding though a right turn, print it out and put it under your pillow at night.
this is what I'll be doing tomorrow

this thread speaks to me so much....I just dislike them from a stop

"To ensure you're giving your very best, blind yourself of all negativity, relax your mind, put inhibition to rest and drive hard toward your goals like it's the last thing on earth." - csmith12
Koala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #11
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Grip with knees only on braking. In corners, I'm hanging off outside knee which is against tank. But everything's relaxed, inside leg/knee just kinda dangles. This is what I kinda do since I learned during that time-period.

Link to original page on YouTube.

What I like to do is mental preparation beforehand:

- relax your mind... calm it.. free it of distractions...
- imagine... you...
- imagine video of ... you...
- imagine video of ... you... riding.. in right-corners...
- feel yourself in corner
- feel buzz of engine
- feel yourself relaxing
- see yourself tipping bike into corner effortlessly... telepathically...
- see bike and you leaned all way over....
- feel road-surface rubbing on your knee puck... thunk... chunk... thunk... chunk... as it hits uneven spots...
- see exit of corner
- see your line out with ease..
- see and feel yourself flying through that right corner without issues...
- feel excitement and adrenaline as you hit exit on full-throttle...
- repeat and do another right-corner
- and another...
- another...

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2018, 09:47 PM   #12
CaliGrrl

That's actually one of the things that is most beautiful about riding a bike, flowing through the corners. I can feel myself melding with it.... and it works so amazingly well....

If I remember to relax....

Old August 26th, 2018, 02:21 AM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

All good advice in this thread so far. Looking at your first post in another thread, it did seem as the bike needed a bit of TLC. If the rear tire was actually reversed, it's certainly possible the shop wasn't terribly concerned about aligning it either. If alignment was way off, it could cause the bike to feel more natural turning one way or the other. It would have to be way off, and this is unlikely compared to all of the other likely reasons listed above. But if you continue to gain skill and comfort, and the bike continues to feel somewhat strange, it might be worth re-aligning the rear wheel. If you do get that tire flipped around, make sure it's done well at that point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2018, 07:01 AM   #14
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Thanks for all the positive and helpful advice folks! Day 2 of MSF now as for my right turns I’ll be working them a little harder in the coming days not going to worry about them until I get better at friction zone and throttle control day 1 of MSF told me I am terrible at throttle and clutch. I tend to just whip it and let the clutch absorb the abuse of higher revs. On a side note the u turn box is an exercise in minor irritation

Old August 26th, 2018, 11:24 AM   #15
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
One of my favourite heroes, Jackie Stewart had great training technique on being smooth. Place ball on plate on dash and don't roll it off! Gotta try this with bike and see if it works too!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2018, 11:41 AM   #16
adouglas
Cat herder

Stewart did a great driving instruction video for Ford back in the 80s, called "Behind the Wheel'. There was a cool bit where they attached a wide, shallow bowl to the hood of a car and put a ball in it.

Same idea. Do a slalom, including starting and stopping, and don't let the ball fall out.

Sometimes when driving I think about that and try to stop so gently that if I had one of those on my car, the ball would still be in the bowl. You have to modulate your brake very carefully, reducing pressure as the car comes to a halt until you're barely touching them. Otherwise the car jerks a bit.

The whole hour-long video is well worth watching (and has some great historical race footage), but the ball-and-dish bit starts at about 43:00

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 26th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #17
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Let me know how the ball bowl idea on a bike works lol car I’m smooth after years in a semi it’s gentle. Other news I am now a MSF BRC grad with a perfect score for some reason I don’t totally feel I deserve.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 26th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #18
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Let me know how the ball bowl idea on a bike works lol car I’m smooth after years in a semi it’s gentle. Other news I am now a MSF BRC grad with a perfect score for some reason I don’t totally feel I deserve.

Old August 26th, 2018, 04:48 PM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

But above you said you tend to "whip it" re the throttle. That doesn't sound smooth....

On a 250 whacking the throttle open doesn't have much of an effect. On a bigger bike it can get you in a lot of trouble.

Old August 26th, 2018, 06:30 PM   #20
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

My apologies on my lack of clarification on the bike I tend to whip the throttle. in a car or semi I do not. It has a fair bit to do with the lack of throttle response on the bike likely due to me being used to fuel injected vehicles whereas a carb has a tiny delay and the state of the Bikes carbs I think maybe. A tear down is scheduled though that may turn into sending them away to someone more skilled than myself. Also also regarding throttle whipping it’s possible my “whipping” isn’t your definition from my perspective and vehicles I tend to drive I shift at 1.5k rpm so 5-7k rpm on the bike feels like whipping it after all that’s far past redline in the truck again sorry for the confusion maybe someday I will learn how to make myself understood better I have this problem of vagueness and overly complex explanations

Old August 26th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #21
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
These bikes like to be revved!
They begin to wake up at around 7k rpm...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2018, 07:04 PM   #22
CaliGrrl

It's hard to get used to the high revs, and I still don't always feel comfortable with it, but especially on harder accelerations, it really does work better. If I'm getting a quick launch from a stoplight, I can let it rev to 11,000 or so before shifting.

Old August 27th, 2018, 05:02 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Before you tear into the carbs take a look at your throttle linkage. There might be a lot of play in it.

Old August 27th, 2018, 05:12 AM   #24
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

I am guessing carbs need cleaned based on the idle seeking it does it has a large amount of trouble finding an idle speed until I ride for near 20 minutes the tach drifts quite a bit when in neutral and not fully warmed

Old August 27th, 2018, 07:00 AM   #25
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

Interesting thread. Good tips.

I feel too more confident on lefties than on righties. For me it happened on all my bikes, so I can't blame the bike.

However, I heard many people saying they're more confident on one side or the other.

In the end, I think it's just because our brain is not symmetrical. Most of us have a side that works better than the other.
In some sports is obvious, like tennis, soccer, or surfing. In this kind of sports, when you start, you naturally choose a side and go for it.
I feel that in motor sports, the good side is still there but it's not so obvious.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2018, 03:27 PM   #26
redonninrf
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 2017 Triumph Thruxton 1200 Classic (not the 'R')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post
For some reason I have zero difficulty making left turns even at fairly aggressive (to me anyway) speeds, right turns however are another story I just cannot seem to lean the bike as hard nor turn as sharply or smoothly I am good up to about 30mph then right becomes scary even on roads I know perfectly having driven them in cars 100 times plus. An example is a curve on a particular road I run at 45 ish westbound (left curve) but eastbound (right curve) I drop to near 30. What am I doing wrong? Mental block? Or do these ninjas run better left?
It is quite normal for a person to favor left or right turns, especially when gravity and balance are involved. For example, downhill skiers may find turning left or right easier. The first time I did a skidpad in a car, which is where you basically go around in circles right at the limit before sliding, I found myself going faster CCW (left) that CW. The instructor at the time said it was normal for people to favor one direction over the other.

In your case it seems to be a little bit more difference than usual, but I would not worry about it. As you get miles under your belt it should all come together.

The proximity of guardrails, shoulders, drop-offs, or oncoming traffic combined with anxiety about any of those items can also affect confidence turning left vs. right.

On other factor - in countries where driving is on the right, the same turn is a little tighter going to the right than the left. That's because you're in the inside lane so the radius is smaller. It won't make much difference on corners rated 45 and above, but on corners rated 15 or slower there is a noticeable difference.
redonninrf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #27
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

The proximity of guardrails, shoulders, drop-offs, or oncoming traffic combined with anxiety about any of those items can also affect confidence turning left vs. right.

That right there is probably 99% of my problem I did some testing today and after 86 right turns and 2 1/2 hours I found I slow more when there is traffic

Old August 28th, 2018, 06:18 PM   #28
CaliGrrl

It's good to know your triggers and how you will react to them.

Old December 7th, 2018, 05:01 AM   #29
Ducati999

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthwheelman View Post

That right there is probably 99% of my problem I did some testing today and after 86 right turns and 2 1/2 hours I found I slow more when there is traffic
I would also like to note that most roads crown in the center to promote water to run off. This gives you a positive camber for Right hand turns and negative for left. Don't know if this has anything to do with your issue but I know it can cause some folks issues.
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 7th, 2018, 09:43 AM   #30
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Hadn’t considered camber as a factor before. Grrrr months until I can start next round of testing.

Old August 29th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #31
Hexadecimus
ninjette.org member

Name: Hex

Motorcycle(s): EX250F, 1960 T100A, GPz900R, 74 XLCH, etc.

Work on the mental block. Know that lefts are easy. All of the pressure is on the left hand so it doesn't affect your throttle input.
Hexadecimus is offline   Reply With Quote